• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wanted to share

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I suffered acid reflux for some years ie swimming in my mouth and thus, waking up choking and the only thing that cooled it down, and stopped me having to keep clearing my throat etc, was a glass of milk. Hey, this happened in the early hours of the morning, for at least two years. I nearly lost my voice box abilities and had a burnt tongue for some time.

Happily, doesn't happen anymore. ( still suffer acid reflux, but no more in mouth). However, I have noticed a strange phenomenon. Each time I drink water, afterwards, my mouth tingles and also feels very dry and burnt. So, I looked it up and found I have "dry mouth" syndrome ( oh a much more elaberate name, but can't even remember how to spell it). It was from the acid reflux and apparently chewing sugar free gum helps to cause saliva to start working. So, I gave it a go and whoa, had a slip of water and immediately could feel the difference. Not completely ok, because my mouth is sizzling as I type this, but there is a definite difference.

Thankfully, the sugar free gum's taste did not wear off, and I was chewing for a good hour or more.

Dry Mouth
"Dry mouth, also called xerostomia (ZEER-oh-STOH-mee-ah), is the condition of
not having enough saliva to keep the mouth wet."

"Dry mouth can happen to anyone occasionally—for example, when nervous or stressed. However, when dry mouth persists, it can make chewing, swallowing, and even talking difficult. Dry mouth also increases the risk for tooth decay or fungal infections in the mouth because saliva helps keep harmful germs in check.

Dry mouth is not a normal part of aging. If you think you have dry mouth, see your dentist or doctor to find out why your mouth is dry.

Causes​

There are several possible causes of dry mouth:

• Side effects of some medicines. Hundreds of medicines can cause the salivary glands to make less saliva. For example, medicines for high blood pressure, depression, and bladder-control issues often cause dry mouth.
  • Disease. Sjögren's disease, HIV/AIDS, and diabetes can all cause dry mouth.
  • Radiation therapy. The salivary glands can be damaged if they are exposed to radiation during cancer treatment.
  • Chemotherapy and immunotherapy. Drugs used to treat cancer can make saliva thicker, causing the mouth to feel dry.
  • Nerve damage. Injury to the head or neck can damage the nerves that tell the salivary glands to make saliva."
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/dental-health-dry-mouth

My sister has Sjogren's disease and has lost some teeth because of it. Fortunately, her daughter is a dental assistant and hygienist and was able to get a good price from the dentist for whom she works to give my sister dental implants to replace the teeth. My sister never goes anywhere without a bottle of water to sip, and she uses some kind of oral gel that coats the inside of her mouth to help retain moisture.

The best thing to do is to consult a dentist or other medical professional about the condition.

Dry Mouth
"Dry mouth, also called xerostomia (ZEER-oh-STOH-mee-ah), is the condition of
not having enough saliva to keep the mouth wet."

"Dry mouth can happen to anyone occasionally—for example, when nervous or stressed. However, when dry mouth persists, it can make chewing, swallowing, and even talking difficult. Dry mouth also increases the risk for tooth decay or fungal infections in the mouth because saliva helps keep harmful germs in check.

Dry mouth is not a normal part of aging. If you think you have dry mouth, see your dentist or doctor to find out why your mouth is dry.

Causes​

There are several possible causes of dry mouth:

• Side effects of some medicines. Hundreds of medicines can cause the salivary glands to make less saliva. For example, medicines for high blood pressure, depression, and bladder-control issues often cause dry mouth.
  • Disease. Sjögren's disease, HIV/AIDS, and diabetes can all cause dry mouth.
  • Radiation therapy. The salivary glands can be damaged if they are exposed to radiation during cancer treatment.
  • Chemotherapy and immunotherapy. Drugs used to treat cancer can make saliva thicker, causing the mouth to feel dry.
  • Nerve damage. Injury to the head or neck can damage the nerves that tell the salivary glands to make saliva."
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/dental-health-dry-mouth
I know, because I was doing the research myself, because of the strangeness and know it is due to acid erosion. However, for my teeth, although I have had teeth removed from the bottom back of sides of my mouth, I use a mouth wash each day, after half another from eating, to remove particles and so far, no tooth decay.

My sister has Sjogren's disease and has lost some teeth because of it. Fortunately, her daughter is a dental assistant and hygienist and was able to get a good price from the dentist for whom she works to give my sister dental implants to replace the teeth. My sister never goes anywhere without a bottle of water to sip, and she uses some kind of oral gel that coats the inside of her mouth to help retain moisture.

The best thing to do is to consult a dentist or other medical professional about the condition.
I will never go to a dentist here, in France, because they RUINED my teeth. And having chewing gum is working on my dry mouth.

New Threads

Top Bottom