• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Do You Want To Cosplay As?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
If I ever did cosplay, I'd want to do female Kirin armor (Monster Hunter series):
KirinFemaleArmor.jpg

Not only does it look significantly better than the male version of Kirin armor (although most female armor in MH looks much better than their male counterparts), it won't TECHNICALLY count as crossdressing for me because I am genderfluid.

I've had past interest in steampunk (which I know is different), and also used to know a few people into sword fighting, knights, etc... Also vikings, really anything to do with costuming/role play... But most of my interest in that has been as an observer and photographer, I just uploaded one photo into my media account that might interest you @Joshua Aaron

I've lost most of those connections now, this group of people used to practice every weekend in the same park for years...
Sword Fighting 01.jpg

going off on a slight tangent here.

In York (england) there is a festival each year focusing on York's viking history. I went one year with my wife and there are lots of people selling viking type stuff - clothes, armour, swords, food etc.

It is called the Yorvik festival (Yorvik - was the viking name for York)

191131.jpg

Elias Ainsworth from The Ancient Magus' Bride.
He's the titular Ancient Magus who buys Chise, the main character, from an underground auction, and takes her in as a pupil, but he also plans to make her his bride.
What I like about him is that, as you can see, he's clearly not human, but he doesn't really belong to the realm of the Fae, either. Also, despite being centuries-old, knowledgeable and quite powerful mage, he is almost like a child when it comes to emotions, having difficulty understanding or recognizing them, so he needs fifteen-year-old Chise to teach him about them. And he does care about Chise, to the point of doing inhuman magics to save her, which Chise has to stop him from doing few times.

I've had past interest in steampunk (which I know is different), and also used to know a few people into sword fighting, knights, etc... Also vikings, really anything to do with costuming/role play... But most of my interest in that has been as an observer and photographer, I just uploaded one photo into my media account that might interest you @Joshua Aaron

I've lost most of those connections now, this group of people used to practice every weekend in the same park for years...View attachment 65868
I researched Steam Punk. It's fascinating. I didn't know it was so into advocacy around 2008-2011! Now it's mostly fun, but it really tried.....It's pretty cool either way :-) Airships and watches....hahaha

Is cosplay just acting out a person in a game? Can someone explain? So can I be Sokrates?

Cosplay, Steampunk, Viking re-enactors, etc... are in many ways people who become someone else, even if for a short while

I can't speak as much for Cosplay, but some Steampunk people create characters, become part of "crews" which act out stories

It's been said that many autistic people are drawn to this kind of thing, because it allows them to become someone else for different periods of time,

One friend of mine who is autistic is heavily into a Knight type society (forget the name), he is an expert archer within these groups, often in public wears a proper archer's hat, and was also very involved in some of the early versions of what we know call comic conventions, apparently he is highly respected for his archery skills

This is a photo I took of Tim once, he wore this outfit to a poetry slam, it was "geek" night theme after all, a great guy to know actually but a rather interesting man...

Archery 01.jpg

Last edited:
I'm already well into cosplay. Have been for a long time.

I aint exactly the masculine type, so all the outfits I've done have been of the, uh, feminine sort.

I may as well just show this:

d9m5e63-1a14b961-90f2-4b7d-901b-03fd2f084306.jpg

I always feel silly showing that and wonder if I'm going to regret doing so. I may take that down later. Though I have shown it on this forum before.

Also it cant be seen there, but that is a short skirt, my legs are bare (and I'm wearing very short black shorts under it).

I dunno if it counts as crossdressing as my idea of gender in relation to myself is all over the place.

Reactions from people at conventions when I do this tend to be.... "interesting".

I've also done this one:

24BKvJS.jpg

A friend of mine was with me when I first did this one. I dont think I'll *ever* forget his reaction to that. Brought up some... questions. Questions that I didnt ask.

I have the body shape to pull these sorts of things off, so... yeah, that's the sort I do.

I tell you one thing though, cosplay at a con can be a bit nervewracking. Particularly when you consider that the entire place is absolutely stuffed with a bunch of sweaty, sleep-deprived, caffeinated geeks who are sometimes also very drunk. Anyone doing a "showy" outfit like these also needs to be kinda careful. If you look at all good doing it (and even moreso if you're showing skin anywhere at all), well, that can attract, uh, issues. I'll put it this way, I've been groped before. And again, I'm technically male, if not considering my all-over-the-place gender. Never stopped anyone though.

On a side note, one reason I like cosplay is that anime/game character outfits can actually be really creative. As opposed to "normal" clothes, which are stupidly boring to me.

Is cosplay just acting out a person in a game? Can someone explain? So can I be Sokrates?

Really just dressing up as a favorite character for whatever reason. Usually done at anime/gaming conventions. You dont have to act any particular way but you cacn if you want.

Any character at all works. Or even things that arent characters. Whatever sort of costume you feel like doing.

It's usually dressing up as a person from a game, movie, or TV show.

I've seen people dressing up as one of their D&D characters before, as well. What is really interesting is when somebody cosplays as their D&D character as their cosplay, and their character is a tiefling, and they go all-out (body paint, horns, contacts to make their eyes look pupiless and red colored, a tail). Holy crap, people get creative when people cosplay fantasy races. Especially something as exotic-looking as a tiefling.

I'd love to dress up as Kazimir Avitus, my Satyr Warlock. It'd work because he is basically me, but with long, curly hair (and I mean as curly as goat hair), and hooves. Since he is a warlock, he wears a long dark green robes, so that means I don't actually have to care about making it look like I've got hooves. I just need the right wig, elf ears, and horns. And also a long robe. And maybe some props for his equipment (which consist of a quarterstaff, his book of shadows, a light crossbow, his metal wand, and 2 daggers).

New Threads

Top Bottom