• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What? Your friends are autistic?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
So my daughter just stated that her friends are autistic. I asked her did it cross your mind that you may be autistic?
I corrected my post after Suzanne was kind enough to point this out.

Last edited:
I helped my daughter as a teen come to grips with being autistic by listing all the cool superpowers. And telling little stories about autistic quirks I have, and asking if she can relate.

At first she was angry and in denial, but within a week or two she was totally understanding of it and now likes knowing that she's autistic, because she doesn't have to mask as much. She takes better self care. Like not going to social events. And she loves diving head first into her special interests. She can proudly hang with the other nerds. And she can talk about how annoying that neurotypicals are.

I doubt our kid will be able to understand what having autism means until he is close to puberty. I didn't have the self-awareness to understand that I was deaf until a surprisingly late age either.

Yay, she accepts that she is ND, what a relief. I was worried l started World War three with her. Maybe a year or two ago, we couldn't have this conversation. My mother is in complete denial.

Not sure why the word: confess - is involved? It is not like being a murderer etc.

Autistic or Aspergers? Sorry, but I was told very clearly that I do not have Autism; I have Asperger's syndrome.

I do blame the so called professionals for the confusion.

I Strongly suspect my ten year old step grandson is an Aspie, his mother and natural grand mother do have issues
with us ( Aspies). I'm pretty sure my sons current girlfriend marriage fell apart because her ex husband was one of us.
He is an engineer, either way just conjecture on my part.

I’ve met a lot of autism people I encounter at work. We talk about how we share similarities with food and stimming. It’s a nice world out there meeting others on the spectrum. It feels larger than you think. It’s such a fun time.

I think that the first time I suspected that I might be autistic was when there was a program on the news about a method for discovering autism in children. They were discussing some kind of eye tracking technology that observed where a child looked on the screen during a movie. For example watch an object as it flew across a room (autistic) vs watching the people's expressions in response to the object (neurotypical). I noticed that I fit the autistic patterns in the test that was being described but did not say anything about it at the time. I think that I was about 10 years old. Over the years I saw more and more descriptions that reminded me of myself (obsessive interests in certain topics,various forms of stimming, repeating the last part of what I said after finishing what I was saying, ect.) I finally got diagnosed about 2 years ago at the age of 30.

New Threads

Top Bottom