• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's in your garden?

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
If you have a garden, what are you growing right now? Feel free to share any pics as well... flowers, fruits, veggies, plants, herbs, anything.

Not too much into gardening but right now we have:
Thai chili peppers
Lemongrass
Mint
Turmeric
Curry leaves
Holy basil (tulsi)
Indian adzuki beans
Tamarind (regrowing: unfortunately the freak winter storm killed it otherwise it was finally going to bear fruit this year, killed off our basil, lime tree, and tomatoes too)

My husband is attempting to grow avocado and mango this year which is looking good so far.
We had a pumpkin plant but it died too. And waiting for it to cool down for more coriander.

Also, our neighbors grow a ton of Chinese plants and some of it (hyacinth beans and bitter cucumber) spill over onto our side of the fence, which we like to "borrow" for our own Indian dishes.

Last edited:
As I only tend to the garden while helping my mother I may miss a few things but here is what I remember:
Soo many tomatoes (she plants a ton of varieties and is even breeding some this year)
Zucchini
Swiss Chard
Garlic
Basil (a couple different types)
Green beans
Mint
Our blueberry bushes and fig trees look like next year might be the year!! (Tiny fruits on each this year and I ate a good handful of blueberries)

There are others but I forget since we have raised beds in our backyard and also a community garden plot and I mostly help in our backyard.

EDIT: eggplants, two types of kale, a few types of peppers.

Last edited:
I am not at all into gardening, which annoys me and disappoints my husband, who is an avid gardener.

Mostly, we have eucalyptus trees in a medium sized garden, because he has a passion for them!

I joke that our garden has a varity of green shades in it, so he has tried to incorporate more colour. What was hilarious though, when I did a cross stitch of our old garden - parts of it and noted it was mostly green silks lol

I tried vegatable companion planting once and sort of did enjoy it, but could not cope with the volume, so gave it up.

Chillies (red), parsley, eschallots (green onions/scallions), strawberries - all easy to grow. Only been here a year so will probably try tomatoes (roma), ginger and eggplant in summer.

Also growing some screening shrubs, mostly natives - a few Hakea Laurina and Albany woollybush. They're low maintenance about 3 metres tall and the Hakea has stunning flowers. It's still winter here so pix won't be too good.

Pumpkins! Think I can see 5 so far, maybe 6... in a raised beds my partner built for them. Zucchini, which I initially thought were pumpkin seeds, they are similar... oops. Lots of different tomatoes, harvesting now, yellow, orange, red, purple, all cherry tomatoes except we have some green tiger tomatoes, which are stripey green ones.

Raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries. Rhubarb. Potatoes. Aubergines maybe, just one flower so far. Runner beans. Broad beans and peas are finished now. Carrots. Beetroot. Turnips. Lots of lettuce, spinach and salad leaves. Basil from seed. Sorrel too. Sage, coriander, mint. The tarragon died when we went away, don't know how exactly but people were kind enough to water so I guess they just missed it.

Got a fig but he's lost the fruit he had early on.

Lots of flowers, Lillies fuschias a huge dark Salvia this year, wow. Plus the lillies were tall. Little trees, but I gave away most this year to my sister for her native hedge. Budleia, Holly, nasturtiums. Rushes. Etc.

I am not at all into gardening, which annoys me and disappoints my husband, who is an avid gardener.

Mostly, we have eucalyptus trees in a medium sized garden, because he has a passion for them!

I joke that our garden has a varity of green shades in it, so he has tried to incorporate more colour. What was hilarious though, when I did a cross stitch of our old garden - parts of it and noted it was mostly green silks lol

I tried vegatable companion planting once and sort of did enjoy it, but could not cope with the volume, so gave it up.

Sounds lovely! Could you post a picture of your cross stitch? I would love to try that.

Sounds lovely! Could you post a picture of your cross stitch? I would love to try that.

Had to use the flash, otherwise, the picture was too dark to see. You will notice a square line and that is because I did excess and had to piece the right parts together lol. You also see part of two pictures? One is a card I made for our wedding anniversary and the other is the actual photo. Guess hubby was proud of what I did.

Attachments

• cross stitch of part of our begone garden.jpg
    cross stitch of part of our begone garden.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 124
Culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, wild flowers, corn, beets, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, green beans asperagus, green peppers, carrots, kale, swiss chard, broccholi, winter squash, strawberries, red and black raspberries, black berries, blueberries, sun flowers, sorrel, rhubarb, horseradish, goose berries, elder berries, currents.

I grow a lot of the same things as Martha. Our summer garden is winding down, and we will plant the fall garden soon.

I still am getting lots of tomatoes (have made gallons of tomato sauce for the freezer and canned a lot of salsa), green beans, field peas, horseradish, jalapenos, cherry peppers, serrano peppers, and the muscadines are just now getting ripe. I also grow all kinds of herbs - rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme, parsley, cilantro, different kinds of scallions and chives, several kinds of basil, sorrel, and others. We had a lot of asparagus, cucumbers, blueberries, blackberries, plums and figs earlier in the summer. The gigantic persimmons are getting ripe.

The fall garden will be all kinds of green leafy vegetables including lots of lettuce, broccoli, radishes, maybe cauliflower, all of which survive the winter here as long as we don't get snow.

Had to use the flash, otherwise, the picture was too dark to see. You will notice a square line and that is because I did excess and had to piece the right parts together lol. You also see part of two pictures? One is a card I made for our wedding anniversary and the other is the actual photo. Guess hubby was proud of what I did.

Thank you, that's amazing, your cross stitch is like a painting! Lovely that it's your own garden too. No wonder you husband was proud of you.

Not much right now, but my growing season here in Fla hasn't started just yet. The first seedlings will start going in later this week. My asparagus beans, sweet potatoes and three of the basil varieties have survived the summer, plus one determined acorn squash vine. I have 65 entries on the garden planning list I hope to have all in by the end of November.

Thank you, that's amazing, your cross stitch is like a painting! Lovely that it's your own garden too. No wonder you husband was proud of you.

As it happens, another project I did, someone was surprised it was cross stitch, so I said to go up to it and look close and sure enough, she uttered a wow, which, naturally made me feel great lol The key is: tiny cross stitches, which are a count of 18 upwards. I can do a 28 count and actually think this one is 28.

The other day, a nurse ( who visits my hubby due to an ulcer on his leg) saw the one I am in the middle of ( left out by accident; not deliberately) and I was not there at the time and when she went, my hubby said: your cross stitching was admired by the nurse. Apparently, she noted the one I am doing now and was very impressed and so, lol my husband gave her a "tour" of all my other ones and she said: you have an artist in the family!!!

I never the first to mention my works, but am afraid, that once someone does remember, I go full steam ahead and talk about it lol

Stunning cross stitch, @Suzanne , I could never be that good, but I may try something more like a sampler. To show our raised beds and pumpkin vines and other neat beds. You should display in a gallery!

As it happens, another project I did, someone was surprised it was cross stitch, so I said to go up to it and look close and sure enough, she uttered a wow, which, naturally made me feel great lol The key is: tiny cross stitches, which are a count of 18 upwards. I can do a 28 count and actually think this one is 28.

The other day, a nurse ( who visits my hubby due to an ulcer on his leg) saw the one I am in the middle of ( left out by accident; not deliberately) and I was not there at the time and when she went, my hubby said: your cross stitching was admired by the nurse. Apparently, she noted the one I am doing now and was very impressed and so, lol my husband gave her a "tour" of all my other ones and she said: you have an artist in the family!!!

I never the first to mention my works, but am afraid, that once someone does remember, I go full steam ahead and talk about it lol

I am so jealous of your cross stitch skills! I have to stick to simple patterns or I get so confused!

You have a talent, Suzanne. It's so hard to translate what your eyes see into "freehand" cross stitch. Do you plot your design on graph paper first or just start stitching? Do you start in the middle of the fabric or start on a corner? How do you do this?!

You have a talent, Suzanne. It's so hard to translate what your eyes see into "freehand" cross stitch. Do you plot your design on graph paper first or just start stitching? Do you start in the middle of the fabric or start on a corner? How do you do this?!

Oh, I am hopeless with things like that. I follow a pattern. However, the canvas is blank and yes, I start in the middle. I fold the fabric twice, so that all 4 corners are creased and the middle is easy to detect.

@unperson What kind of soil, if you know, is the woolybush planted in? I’m not there anymore but I still wonder what I did wrong with a couple that I planted.(mncoast nsw)
-
Anyway, here, now that I’m getting settles again, I am just getting started re-doing the whole yard.

Marjoram
Oregano
Thyme
Italian Parsley, lots
Spearmiht
Peppermint
Catmint
Chives
Lemon balm
Wild Strawberries
2 humungous buckeye trees
Lilac