• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which Roman Soldier On The Chosen?

Which of the following do you think will acknowledge who Jesus is at the cross?

• Quintus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gaius

• Atticus

• None of the above

• Total voters

FayetheAspie

V.I.P Member
Who do you think will be the centurion who acknowledges who Jesus is at the cross and why do you think so?

Might be in here...

Though it intrigues me in terms of who may or may not have truly acknowledged Jesus as Christ while still alive on the cross. (I haven't seen "The Chosen")

Reminding me that Tribune Gallio was a historical-fictional character of author Lloyd C. Douglas, but certainly wasn't a Christian at the time of the crucifixion.

https://www.thebibleartist.com/post...ns-in-the-chosen-adapting-biblical-characters

Last edited:
Reminding me that Tribune Gallio was a historical-fictional character of author Lloyd C. Douglas, but certainly wasn't a Christian at the time of the crucifixion.
Jesus himself wasn't a Christian at the time of crucifiction. The religion didn't really start until over 200 years later.

Jesus himself wasn't a Christian at the time of crucifiction. The religion didn't really start until over 200 years later.
LOL. Exactly. That's what makes the OP's question just a tad tricky.

Just what "acknowledging Jesus" actually meant in real time as he died on the cross. Let alone who was actually present at Golgotha, or in charge of the Roman detail assigned to crucify Jesus. And then there's that "gap" between Hollywood, individual authors, the Bible and actual history versus historical fiction. -A lot to "skew" reality, let alone a recent media portrayal of such events.

Is such a question intended to be based on what a media presentation was trying to imply or depict, or what actually happened relative to reliable sources? I'm guessing she means the former, though I'd think the latter might be more interesting .

I'd be more inclined to expect that the demeanor of the Roman soldiers actually present that day to have reflected relative indifference to a conquered, but troublesome people.

Last edited:
I am referring to the Roman soldier that said, Truly this man was the Son of God. I know that there are many details we can not know but I was curious which one of the series' established Roman characters they intend to portray in that role.

I am referring to the Roman soldier that said, Truly this man was the Son of God. I know that there are many details we can not know but I was curious which one of the series' established Roman characters they intend to portray in that role.

And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!” - Mark:15:39

In going over a synopsis of season four of "The Chosen" I didn't see any references to the actors who portrayed Gauis, Quintus or Atticus relative to that quote of a Roman soldier acknowledging Jesus as Christ.

The Chosen Season 4 Confirms 30 Main Characters Set to Appear (Photos)

Frankly it would seem more authentic if the producers intended the person making that statement to remain anonymous consistent with the Bible.

Last edited:
And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!” - Mark:15:39
So a centurion mentioned the term "Son of God". God, singular, not "the Gods". At a time before the Christian religion had started. So the centurion was Jewish?

So a centurion mentioned the term "Son of God". God, singular, not "the Gods". At a time before the Christian religion had started. So the centurion was Jewish?
Perhaps being stationed in Israel, he had heard talk or even done some research into local beliefs?

Jesus of Nazareth had devout followers before he was crucified. They weren't called "Christians" at the time, but most assuredly there were followers of the man, whatever they might have been called. And it appears some of his "followers" may have in fact been actual Roman Centurions.

"In Matthew 8 this centurion understands that Jesus is a man of great power and authority. He has faith that Jesus is able to speak a word and his servant will be healed.

This is rather astonishing because up to this point in the narrative Jesus has not healed anyone from a distance. But this centurion seemed to know and believe that Jesus could accomplish whatever he desired.

It is also interesting to note that the centurion approaches Jesus as one who is under Jesus’ authority than the other way around. It is this posture, driven by the centurion’s faith, that leads to the healing of his servant. The healing happens not because he is worthy, due to his position, but the healing happens because of the goodness of Jesus."

Lessons We Can Learn from the Roman Centurion in the Bible

Last edited:
Perhaps being stationed in Israel, he had heard talk or even done some research into local beliefs?
Stands to reason that the words of Jesus not only influenced Judeans, but Romans as well...and then a whole lot more later on.

It does make me wonder if such persons might have been initially spying on Jesus just to determine if he represented a threat to Rome, and subsequently got caught in those words in a way Caesar would not have appreciated.

Stands to reason that the words of Jesus not only influenced Judeans, but Romans as well...and then a whole lot more later on.

It does make me wonder if such persons might have been initially spying on Jesus just to determine if he represented a threat to Rome, and subsequently got caught in those words in a way Caesar would not have appreciated.
Going back to the original question about the series,the character Atticus on The Chosen is actually spying on Jesus.

Going back to the original question about the series,the character Atticus on The Chosen is actually spying on Jesus.
Sounds like the character "Lucius" in the 1961 film "King of Kings". One thing for sure, the Bible seems quite explicit in referring to a Roman Centurion. A specific rank in command of 100 legionnaires. Yet consider character titles based on The Chosen's fan site:

Gaius is listed as a former Centurion and Roman magistrate. (That's as close as it may get.)
Quintus is listed as a former magistrate.
Atticus is listed as a cohort urbanae. Maybe a Tribune, but not a Centurion.

I'm just thinking in terms of storytelling that they would have made a more concerted effort in depicting a central character to the production uttering such a thing as Jesus died on the cross. But perhaps they chose to keep it consistent with the Bible. That's as much as I can figure. Anyway, an interesting puzzle.

Gaius
Search
Search

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom