• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes Christmas?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

Since this is the time of the year, I had a friend over who loves Christmas more than I do and finally got through to having the Christmas of my dreams. My Christmases revolves around the festive food and decorations without any care for presents.

On the other hand, Christmas can be demanding and overwhelming depends on how you can handle it. My friend who joined me in this video has sensory challenges with glitter and he is terrified by them. As things goes with my decorations, I annually stick with a palette of red, green, white and silver since the palette looks like Christmas to me.

Since this is the time of the year, I had a friend over who loves Christmas more than I do and finally got through to having the Christmas of my dreams. My Christmases revolves around the festive food and decorations without any care for presents.

On the other hand, Christmas can be demanding and overwhelming depends on how you can handle it. My friend who joined me in this video has sensory challenges with glitter and he is terrified by them. As things goes with my decorations, I annually stick with a palette of red, green, white and silver since the palette looks like Christmas to me.
I love Christmas..there are certain elements I love about it and certain elements I hate.
It has grown on me a bit more and i liked it as a child.
What I hate is it is over commercial, based too much on materialism.
And some elements are fun, I love putting up decorations and doing Christmas activities but there is a lot of stress particularly on women to make the place nice, cook all the food, put up all the decorations and it can be very chaotic and busy and hot here in Australia

And then like so much build up and over in one day and sometimes you get a bit bored on the day because everything is shut but yes it is nice being with family, not having too much food or pressure to eat to a lot. So too much food is a bad thing.
And then boxing day blues because it was all over in a flash and it is kind of like a sombre period and if you are isolated then what do you do sit around watching movies and actually I am usually a big fan of Nye and always celebrate, have a party by myself and dress up and decorate and stay up until midnight and watch the fireworks. Lots of people say I am going to bed, I always try to stay up at least until after the fireworks no matter how sick.

Last year for Nye was not so great but the year before, put on a cool outfit, my unicorn headband, glow sticks, cute bracelets.
Did bubbles outside, looked at butterflies and took photos, watched TV and listened to music and stayed up and watched the fireworks at midnight with fire crackers you know I enjoyed it.
And actually before I went to bed, I did this like 11:45 pm painting with neon paints just kind of had an idea because I am not big at resolutions and never make them because you do break them
But I like journalling about the year my disappointments, my feelings, what was successful or not then like having some hope for the next year like 2022 my word was hope then 2023 this year it was joy.
So I am like that and I like to look back and reflect and keep a positive stance.
And i really find a balance with years when I do that I actually even if I have found elements of the year really bad.
And then I have had years where I thought it was a success and I can actually take something good out of the year.
So that is what I do.
I have learnt to not do too much a lot more.

This is our tree this year. My mom loves to decorate for the holidays.

1702362465938.jpeg

I always loved Christmas with my parents.
It was a time for being together, a traditional feast, decorations, and a quiet thankfulness for another year.
Presents were an act of showing love.

Christmas will always have that special meaning even though it isn't as happy alone.
The person I live with could care less. Doesn't make it easy to enjoy the way I'd like to. But it will always live in my heart.

xmas2019 002.JPG

I'm going to have to be odd man out here. The whole season from mid October through New Year's is an ordeal for me. The non-religious music is like a mocking slap to the face, and I can only tolerate it a few minutes at a time. I don't go into stores that play it continuously.

Me! I'm so excited, that 12-13 more days seems like an eternity to wait! I think I'm just desperate for the week's break from work more than anything else, because the routine is becoming monotonous. So in that case I only have 8 more working days, including today. Still seems ages though. And I thought it was Wednesday today but it's not, is a lousy stinking Tuesday! Ugh! Wake me up when it's Christmas eve!

This is a wretched time of year for me. Bad experiences as a child and memories from them. Frustration as an adult as I could never enjoy a Christmas with my own daughter how I wanted because everything always had be be about my wife's sodding family. I can't wait until it is over and done with.

I think I see a snowman in Daisy's pic.

This time of year is tough for some, due to past experiences mostly, some because of their tribulations concerning religions and such...but even so, I always like the aesthetic and the symbolism because it shows that people are doing their best (even if they are grinding it out and faking it) to celebrate making it through another year.

Odd sidenote: an acquaintance of mine makes Christmas films quite often, and it's still ambiguous whether he truly even likes the holiday, himself.

I’m Jewish, so I don’t celebrate Xmas. My family celebrates Chanukah, and I enjoyed it as a child when we’d light the menorah and get a gift every night for 8 nights. These days we have different schedules, so lighting the menorah isn’t a tradition for us anymore, but sometimes we’ll still do it one night when we’re all available. (No more getting a gift every night either. )

However, in elementary school they always had Xmas festivities. Usually an assembly for singing Xmas songs, and a party in the classroom. Other people often have holiday celebrations that time of year and I’ll get invited, which can be pleasant. So even though I don’t celebrate Xmas, there can certainly be some nice things about the season.

I love Christmas time.

Catholic culture isn't exactly monolithic around Christmas, because of the geographic distribution and borrowing from other cultures. So I pick and choose.

Not really up to the challenge of decorating and whatnot but I will be definitely listening to lots of Christmas music on the windup phonograph in the living room, making a cake to bring my parents, relaxing generally, going to church.

I really enjoy seeing the decorations people put up. Just like at Halloween time.

1702775978289.jpeg

the geographic distribution and borrowing from other cultures.

...otherwise known as turning up in another land and hitting people until they stop celebrating their traditional festivals.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I like Christmas a lot. It's a nice bright spot in a cold, dark winter. The decorations, the food, the traditions, it's nice. Warm and friendly.

I never used to like the Christmas season. I grew up in a poor family and have bad memories of the holidays in general. Christmas is no fun when both parents are stressed and angry over finances.

Still... I like it more now. I'm not a fan of the gross consumerism part, but I do like the little things - I like the food and drink, I like the lights and decorations, and of course I like having the time off of work.

I just wanted to spare a few thoughts for the people of Grindavik in Iceland. They are having a very stressful Christmas this year.

Grindavik Volcano.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom