• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wireless external hard drives - 2 TB or more.

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Because eventually I might need more storage for both my Xbox consoles, I've been looking on the Net at 2 TB external drives on Amazon, Dabs.com and PC World, so far I've seen one on PC World for £64.99, although I've seen an Xbox specific one on Amazon for £84.99.

However, because at some point I might have to buy 2, would the one that's £20 cheaper suffice for Xbox storage?

The one I bought from the big Tesco in Town for £60, a 2 TB external on Boxing Day 2013, is still going strong and is only a bit less than half full, as is the second one I bought 2 years later.

Last edited:
Alas I've never heard of one of these things. 2TB is an awful lot of space. Why not wait until you're getting closer to filling it up before spending the money?

Alas I've never heard of one of these things. 2TB is an awful lot of space. Why not wait until you're getting closer to filling it up before spending the money?

Fair point, but why wait until I absolutely HAVE to buy more storage, when I can preempt it and buy extra in the post Christmas sales while they're cheap? (or even wait till "Black Friday" next year!)

He has a point though. 2TB is an absolutely staggering amount of space. You would have to be buying a seriously enormous number of new games to even remotely come close to filling that within the next freaking year. Even if every single one of those games is bought online and thus fully installed (and if you prefer physical copies, you'll not even remotely come close to filling the rest of that up).

Even I, buying games left and right whenever I happen to feel like it (and every single one of them fully on the drive), would be VERY hard-pressed to fill up a 2TB drive. Or a 1TB drive, actually.

Trust me: You aint gonna be filling up the one you already have anytime soon. That thing is going to last you quite awhile. Dont waste money on something that will go unused for two years.

Hard drive speeds decrease significantly once it starts to fill up, so better not wait until it fills up. Most people don't use it that way, you can duplicate the space you need by making backups, which really can be a life saver.

It depends on what you use it for. Making videos I could fill up a 2TB drive in 6 months! For gaming alone though it would last me years. Personally I've got a wireless drive because I thought it would be a good idea, but I never use it wirelessly - it's more straightforward to leave it plugged in and just use a thumb drive if I want to transfer a file to another device. USB3.0 onwards is so fast it takes seconds. The 6TB drive I bought most recently cost me £109 from Maplins (RIP) and has served me well. It's in Argos for £115 right now. That should last you forever!

Buy Seagate Back Up Plus 6TB Desktop Hard Drive with USB Hub | External hard drives | Argos

He has a point though. 2TB is an absolutely staggering amount of space. You would have to be buying a seriously enormous number of new games to even remotely come close to filling that within the next freaking year. Even if every single one of those games is bought online and thus fully installed (and if you prefer physical copies, you'll not even remotely come close to filling the rest of that up).

Even I, buying games left and right whenever I happen to feel like it (and every single one of them fully on the drive), would be VERY hard-pressed to fill up a 2TB drive. Or a 1TB drive, actually.

Trust me: You aint gonna be filling up the one you already have anytime soon. That thing is going to last you quite awhile. Dont waste money on something that will go unused for two years.

Xbox games are getting bigger though, which require more storage, so by the time you've installed a few games and all the required updates and DLC, even a 1 TB drive might not last that long.

Xbox games are getting bigger though, which require more storage, so by the time you've installed a few games and all the required updates and DLC, even a 1 TB drive might not last that long.

Bigger, yes, but even the biggest games only hit like 40 GB. That's like, the super-huge blockbuster sort of game.

So, that's 25 games right there you could fit, fully downloaded and installed, on ONE TB. IF you're sticking with buying literally nothing but the ultra-huge ones.

However, that's only the ultra-huge ones such as GTA 5. The average size of a game from a major publisher... AKA, a AAA game... is a bit less than 20 GB. In other words, most games have trouble pushing 20.

At 20 GB, that's 50 games that'll fit. This is providing that you buy from major publishers *only* (since indie stuff usually takes up very little space in comparison). Pricey games, then.

Unless you're buying games at a ridiculous rate like myself... are you going to hit that number anytime soon, starting now from 0? And consider how long it took to NOT yet fill the drive you already have. There's only even so many games on the XBone to begin with... looking it up, there's only 358 individual games on it, so that'd be a MASSIVE chunk of it's library. Actually, looking it up, if you were to buy literally every major game on the console... EVERYTHING that isnt indie... it would only total just over 3 TB. Fully installed. That's not me doing math to come up with that number, either. Went and looked it up, rather than doing the math and getting it horribly wrong (me and math dont mix well).

The total install size of every indie game put together, on the other hand, is only 440 GB.

So, If you were to have 4 TB available... that's literally the entire library of EVERYTHING on that console. AAA and indie. And you'd still have space left over. This should say something as to just how massive a terabyte actually is.

Now there's also DLC, but DLC is usually small enough to not really matter. The big publishers arent exactly keen on giving you lots of content for your money; there's a reason why everyone HATES DLC right now. Most DLC is made to be cheap to make, but expensive to sell... things like costumes and such take up so little space that it's almost unnoticable. There are times when it ISNT small, however.... if it isnt small, it's probably a Nasty Publisher Scam. AKA, one of those games (like SF5) where the publisher releases it in an unfinished form so they can sell you the missing bits later. In THAT case, you need the DLC *before* it'll come close to the usual size of a AAA game.

The big exception with those is DLC that acts as "expansions", however these are very rare and most games do not get one. Usually only multiplayer games, and only certain genres. In general, DLC is only going to take up a truly noticable amount of space if you're spending so much on it that it starts to become an actual problem.

So, considering aaaaaalllllllllll of that... one way or another, it adds up to the idea that, chances are, you wont be filling that already-huge drive you already have anytime soon, unless you plan on spending a rather massive amount of money on games within the next year.

EDIT: Anyway, I dont mean to rant at you. I just know how important money is in general... if I can save someone from spending a giant blob of it on something that'll just collect dust, it seems worth a bit of effort. I've made that mistake too many times myself in the past, after all...

EDIT: Anyway, I dont mean to rant at you. I just know how important money is in general... if I can save someone from spending a giant blob of it on something that'll just collect dust, it seems worth a bit of effort. I've made that mistake too many times myself in the past, after all...
I wonder how it would work out if you were to try to do that with my parents.

Bigger, yes, but even the biggest games only hit like 40 GB. That's like, the super-huge blockbuster sort of game.

So, that's 25 games right there you could fit, fully downloaded and installed, on ONE TB. IF you're sticking with buying literally nothing but the ultra-huge ones.

However, that's only the ultra-huge ones such as GTA 5. The average size of a game from a major publisher... AKA, a AAA game... is a bit less than 20 GB. In other words, most games have trouble pushing 20.

At 20 GB, that's 50 games that'll fit. This is providing that you buy from major publishers *only* (since indie stuff usually takes up very little space in comparison). Pricey games, then.

Unless you're buying games at a ridiculous rate like myself... are you going to hit that number anytime soon, starting now from 0? And consider how long it took to NOT yet fill the drive you already have. There's only even so many games on the XBone to begin with... looking it up, there's only 358 individual games on it, so that'd be a MASSIVE chunk of it's library. Actually, looking it up, if you were to buy literally every major game on the console... EVERYTHING that isnt indie... it would only total just over 3 TB. Fully installed. That's not me doing math to come up with that number, either. Went and looked it up, rather than doing the math and getting it horribly wrong (me and math dont mix well).

The total install size of every indie game put together, on the other hand, is only 440 GB.

So, If you were to have 4 TB available... that's literally the entire library of EVERYTHING on that console. AAA and indie. And you'd still have space left over. This should say something as to just how massive a terabyte actually is.

Now there's also DLC, but DLC is usually small enough to not really matter. The big publishers arent exactly keen on giving you lots of content for your money; there's a reason why everyone HATES DLC right now. Most DLC is made to be cheap to make, but expensive to sell... things like costumes and such take up so little space that it's almost unnoticable. There are times when it ISNT small, however.... if it isnt small, it's probably a Nasty Publisher Scam. AKA, one of those games (like SF5) where the publisher releases it in an unfinished form so they can sell you the missing bits later. In THAT case, you need the DLC *before* it'll come close to the usual size of a AAA game.

The big exception with those is DLC that acts as "expansions", however these are very rare and most games do not get one. Usually only multiplayer games, and only certain genres. In general, DLC is only going to take up a truly noticable amount of space if you're spending so much on it that it starts to become an actual problem.

So, considering aaaaaalllllllllll of that... one way or another, it adds up to the idea that, chances are, you wont be filling that already-huge drive you already have anytime soon, unless you plan on spending a rather massive amount of money on games within the next year.

The recent Red Dead Redemption 2 on Xbox One was 93 Gig with all the patches included.

Plus space on the internal drive so I had to delete some stuff to make room.

The recent Red Dead Redemption 2 on Xbox One was 93 Gig with all the patches included.

Plus space on the internal drive so I had to delete some stuff to make room.

Aye, so I see after looking that up. Though all that means is that RDR2 was not only a fluke, but a really extreme fluke (and one that's been in development for like 7 years with the full weight of Rockstar behind it). Again, nearly all games wont be hitting 20 GB. All the stats I already quoted still stand. You wont be seeing another game of that size, or close, anytime soon. Hardly anything from anyone gets that level of resources put into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom