• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hand flapping, jumping, and spinning!

I used to spin a lot as a child - I don't anymore, my stomach can't handle it (I don't like being dizzy. I really REALLY don't like being dizzy.) As a child all I did was spin, spin, spin. Or put a blanket over my head and roll back and forth to music (I destroyed several mattresses this way and I could do it for hours.) Now I put headphones on and rock for hours instead.

l love spinning. It soothes me. I have started jumping out of glee for no reason. Looks pretty stupid in my age. And once in awhile l shout out a song, or slap my thighs as l am walking. l find l do certain things if l haven't stayed on my exercise regime.

Now I have that childhood song stuck in my head:

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands! (clap, clap)
If you're happy and you show it
then the world will really know it

Only I've replaced "clap" with "flap" in the song. LOL :)

I get up and run back and forth if I'm excited. I also flap my hands if getting up is not an option :)

I work as a cleaner, and even though I'm tall enough that I can peek over most of the vending machines, I still jump up just because I can (if anyone asks, I just have to point out that I'm doing my job). When I was younger, I'd go climb the bleachers just so I could jump off them (over and over again).

I spin everything I can: my yoyo, lids, coins... I spin myself when I can, but I have to be careful or I'll hit something.

If I'm really excited about something I tend to get very restless and unable to sit still, and I tend to flap my hands around or do those one-handed claps.

I also do those one-handed claps or finger taps when I'm nervous or anxious or upset... I guess it's a way of dealing with my heightened emotions?

When I get overwhelmed (anxiety, excitement, etc.) for any reason I do stuff like that. It also makes me rock/sway from side to side more.

As a kid I used to constantly spin around and never got dizzy from it. Still love spinny computer chairs.

Another song that gets me to flap my hands, get excited and jump and spin. Eeeee!!!!!! Sorry squeelling i cant help it i get so excited, hyper and happy, im stimming.

When my wife gets angry and starts scolding me, I make loud piercing animal sounds. Does that count?

Before you ask, no she doesn't like these sounds. I tell her to stop fussing and in return I will stop making these sounds.

If I get particularly happy or excited, my left hand (but for some reason only my left) will involuntarily start to flap, and if I’m standing and excited, I also bounce on my toes. No spinning for me, I have some sort of vestibular hypersensitivity that means I get very dizzy very easily and hate the feel of it. Also I seem to not instinctively make any sort of noise regardless of the situation. Drop a brick on my foot and you’ll be lucky to even hear a sharp intake of breath from me. I find that unusual, since most humans’ reaction to significant pain is to make some sort of noise, whereas mine is to be quiet.

Last edited:
I get hyper super happy spin and go weeeee! Sometimes say Eeeeeee in a high pitched sound and jump and spin more and hand flap.sugar esspecially sour patch kids i get even more hyper and happy and listen to more upbeat trance and stim like crazy and get excited.

New Threads

Top Bottom