• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A question of Distance

Richelle-H

Autocosmic Reality Tester
V.I.P Member
Earlier this evening my mind veered off course and went off into the weeds and I got to pondering a statement made that most people wind up living within 25 miles (roughly 40 Km) of where they were born. For me, throughout my childhood and on and off during my working that was mostly true. However, once I retired the forces holding me in close approximation to that city disappeared and I now live a bit over 680 miles from where I was born. I am sure there are some here with greater distances, but moving any long distance has its effects as one uproots their life and locates to unfamiliar landscapes.

This is just me wondering and I did not want to bring any spectrum issues into it which is why I put it here, but I am surely not going to deny that to anyone if they wish to respond.

Last edited:
Earlier this evening I my mind veered off course and went off into the weeds and I got to pondering a statement made that most people wind up living within 25 miles (roughly 40 Km) of where they were born. For me, throughout my childhood and on and off during my working that was mostly true. However, once I retired the forces holding me in close approximation to that city disappeared and I now live a bit over 680 miles from where I was born. I am sure there are some here with greater distances, but moving any long distance has its effects as one uproots their life and locates to unfamiliar landscapes.

This is just me wondering and I did not want to bring any spectrum issues into it which is why I put it here, but I am surely not going to deny that to anyone if they wish to respond.
I think that living far from home is much more common than in the past. We are a very mobile society, and the extended family is no longer the standard model.

OTOH, there is comfort in being close to home. Familiar people and familiar places.

I live near LA. I was born and grew up in Michigan. Nice place to visit but for 3 months of the year I hated living there. Not moving back.

Twenty-five miles in Los Angeles is a lot farther here than the same distance in a small town. You could have 3 million people between you and your birthplace and live in a totally different climate and culture.

.....most people wind up living within 25 miles (roughly 40 Km) of where they were born.
This is true for me.

I left my home city for 27 years, literally half my life, and then came back again. I've been back for nearly 4 years now and still haven't visited the suburbs where I grew up though, the place and the people hold very few fond memories for me and quite a lot of bad ones. It's one of those really rough areas at the lower end of the socio-economic ladder.

I came back because I know the people here and I have the same accent, but not for any silly soppy sentimental reasons. Being a local facilitated my moving very quickly though bureaucracies to get social housing and a pension.

32 miles.

image.jpeg

I left my home area in my teens, traveling 5000 km and then settling half way back. I did return for a few years, but then tried it 5100 km away and stayed for decades. I'm in exile now, in the boonies 1600 km back for the affordable housing. I have lived in dozens of houses, and never gone back to re-visit any of my old neighbourhoods. I don't generally enjoy travel, either.
A friend of mine once hitchiked 16,000 km in three weeks, criscrossing the country, and then decided she may as well make the best of it where she was.

Growing up in a military family I had little choice of where to or how often we would have to relocate.
From Washington DC to the island of Guam.

A way of life that can potentially challenge even the most sociable NT. Did this experience help or hurt me socially? Well, they say you either adapt or not. -"Sink or swim".

In retrospect, both myself and my NT brother agreed that we "sank". That the experience of frequently relocating and forced into being "the new kid" was toxic for the both of us. No matter how close- or far away we were from where we were born. Regardless of neurological differences.

I live 4000 miles from where I was born, and have done for years now. I have no interest at all in going back.

Earlier this evening my mind veered off course and went off into the weeds and I got to pondering a statement made that most people wind up living within 25 miles (roughly 40 Km) of where they were born. For me, throughout my childhood and on and off during my working that was mostly true. However, once I retired the forces holding me in close approximation to that city disappeared and I now live a bit over 680 miles from where I was born. I am sure there are some here with greater distances, but moving any long distance has its effects as one uproots their life and locates to unfamiliar landscapes.

I moved about 315 miles away. No issue with uprooting for me. I never felt "rooted" in my originating city. In fact, I couldn't get away fast enough. No connections to break. Much happier just being away from that area.

New Threads

Top Bottom