• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A timed device for dispensing food?

Cutesie

V.I.P Member
The following idea has been in my head for many years. I would like to eat out of a gumball machine. It sounds funny, no? I eat way too fast. I often try taking the food one piece at a time, but I just can't stop my grabby hands. (This is when I'm eating normally at a table. Bingeing in my room is a whole other topic.) Of course, I could learn to have patience, but there's also something that can be done without all of that hard work. (There are so many other behavioral things that have a higher priority for me now.)

At the beginning of the meal, I'll put my food into the dispenser. I like everything cut into small pieces, anyhow. Every few seconds, another piece will pop out. I know that this could work - at least sometimes. I'm not sure if and when I'd use it around other people. It would work for me (and for others, I'm sure) because it keeps me in control; I am setting it up and using my independence to moderate my behavior.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? They might have it for animals, I think. Do you know anyone who would find it to be helpful?

Last edited:
Maybe setting a timer for six to eight minutes, and stretch out your actual food bites by looking at the timer and seeing how many minutes you have left? Take smaller bites, chew with purpose, by identifying the flavors on your tongue, see if you can detect a smell from your food. Perhaps put a small glass of water with your plate, sip occasionally from. Stop to purposely understand that eating is crucial for you to stay alive and crucial to your well-being? Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom