• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice needed

The OP problem must be confronted
Absolutely.

I nearly let myself get into the homeschool vs public school debate, but it’s not exactly what the OP was asking about.

I’ll start a new thread. It’s a really important discussion.

Hello! I have a neighbour who is a single autistic mom with autistic kid. She has no job and they live on son’s social security money in her parents house but parents moved out few months ago. She claims she can live independently but I see it’s not the case. She has no car, family support, income. Recently she took her son off school because she has no car to drive him and bus isn’t an option. I was driving him for awhile but can’t do it forever. My son is also autistic. Now her kid spends time in our house (hanging around, doing nothing) from 10am until 8pm. What do I do? Talking to her doesn’t seem working. Do I need to call school? My kid is homeschooled and having other kid just doing nothing causing problems.
Hi All!
I just wanted to give an update on the story I shared here about an autistic mom and boy living next door. Their family sold the house and moved both to different state. The boy lives with his father now and his mom is in a woman shelter. I don’t know all details but learned that the boy is safe. It’s not ideal (father doesn’t recognize autistic personality and treats the boy as a typical child) but at this point it’s better because mother’s plan was to live with friends (I don’t really know if she had any) or on streets. Unfortunately my son lost the only friend he ever had. He is 8 and it’s been hard on him. However, he learned a life skills lesson and now makes plans for buying next door house, fly to the other state to pick up his friend and because he has very big heart and saved $100. My kid is awesome. Love your kids and their awesomeness! Thanks to all of you for being so helpful.

I sometimes wonder how my life might have been had I been home-schooled.

Hard for so many of us to imagine a bully-free environment, though in my own case I seriously doubt my mother would have felt confident enough to consider it.
Same here. Unfortunate for having health issues. Fortunate the family doctor was almost like family and got me out of PE and times I didn't feel like attending classes.
I still got the grades and that was what mattered to them then.

I did home school high school. It was good IMO.
It gave me time to get some pre-employment experience through some special interests. I had a greenhouse where I enjoyed raising plants which I sold to a small local nursery. That wouldn't be allowed now, but it was back then.
My parents turned the garage into a ceramic studio where I custom made lamps, statues and planters for people. Plus, it gave me the opportunity to learn how to be with other people as I had classes on Saturday afternoons where people could come and make their own things.

The OP problem must be confronted. Either directly with the kid or with the help of some type of social services. He needs help.
I must say this is great experience!! My son is in elementary but he is extremely creative and comes up with ideas for games/plays out of nowhere. Most recently he wanted a pool. Started digging in our backyard and quickly discovered it is hard and most likely won’t work. So he found his inflatable bouncy house (since he was 4), filled it with water as much as possible (it has net walls) and made his own swimming pool. He can’t swim in it but jumps to it with lots of splashes. He is 8. He solves his problems like a pro. I don’t think public school would approve this project :).

Thanks for the update, @Tatimax. It's always nice to hear how things transpire as sometimes we are left to guess and wonder.

New Threads

Top Bottom