• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I over reacting?

"Hot Water Bottle" is AFAIK a UK-centric term. Also rather large, and perhaps too visible.

A possible alternative:

I use "Hand Warmers" (for warming muscles) that contain a liquid when ready to use, and have a simple mechanism that changes it to a soft solid form that's quite warm (maybe 70% - a bit to hot for me to have directly on my skin (except for e.g. hands).

They "recharge" via boiling them for 15 minutes or so.

My largest is 8x13 cm, but the tech is very simple (it's just a liquid with convenient properties). I don't see why they couldn't be made much larger
Mine have text "KAYOBA" on them - probably the manufacturer.

Also if you haven't looked at your diet, you should.
Many things can cause that issue, and diet doesn't help in all cases. But it's like drinking water when you get a headache. It might not help, but it's cheap, fast, easy, and is effective surprisingly often :)

Considering the last week or so has been exorbitantly hot overall, it seems like a reasonable question to ask about the hot water bottle. I do think that even a non-disabled person might be asked this as well. When you answered that you were constipated, OP, since this person works and has you under their care, even if not directly, it is her business to ask about medically related issues so that you and her can determine if you need to go to the hospital, etc. She is potentially liable if she doesn't make best efforts to care for you minimally in this context. So, if you don't want someone to talk to you, you can tell someone that it is personal, you aren't currently having medically related issues, and that you don't want to talk to them about (issue- in this case, why you have a hot water bottle.)

When you answered that you were constipated, OP, since this person works and has you under their care, even if not directly, it is her business to ask about medically related issues so that you and her can determine if you need to go to the hospital, etc. She is potentially liable if she doesn't make best efforts to care for you minimally in this context.

Yes. Basic premise liability considerations when a person is in the care, custody and control of another. Even more so if and when their presence is not incidental to the premises. Such as a student in an academic institution.

Leaving the bulk of such liability with the business owner. Not a customer, student or patient.

Though it remains unclear if there are other forms of liability to consider as well, such a professional medical liability. A consideration well beyond the responsibilities of premise liability.

Ultimately it is a matter of the host as to whether or not they are under- or over reacting. Not the student. Where considerations of liability rests almost entirely upon the host. That said, I wouldn't like strangers prying into my physical issues under such circumstances. But I would understand why they did, and not hold it against them personally. A simple reality in play. Patients, students, and customers aren't held to any higher standard in understanding various liabilities pertinent to their host.

Last edited:
"Hot Water Bottle" is AFAIK a UK-centric term. Also rather large, and perhaps too visible.

A possible alternative:

I use "Hand Warmers" (for warming muscles) that contain a liquid when ready to use, and have a simple mechanism that changes it to a soft solid form that's quite warm (maybe 70% - a bit to hot for me to have directly on my skin (except for e.g. hands).

They "recharge" via boiling them for 15 minutes or so.

My largest is 8x13 cm, but the tech is very simple (it's just a liquid with convenient properties). I don't see why they couldn't be made much larger
Mine have text "KAYOBA" on them - probably the manufacturer.

Also if you haven't looked at your diet, you should.
Many things can cause that issue, and diet doesn't help in all cases. But it's like drinking water when you get a headache. It might not help, but it's cheap, fast, easy, and is effective surprisingly often :)
I can never get hand warmers to work 2nd time round. I use hot water bottles for joint pain a lot from my hypermobilty and arthritis. Water is so inportant, I always drink about 4-5 litres a day. I’ve been working with dieticians on and off for years around constipation. I’m 100% gluten free due to coeliac disease. I have been 100% dairy free as well but this dousn’t help. My constipation is quite complicated. I have deformity of the bowel due to defective collagen and my brain struggles with the signaling of telling my body to go due to ataxia.

Considering the last week or so has been exorbitantly hot overall, it seems like a reasonable question to ask about the hot water bottle. I do think that even a non-disabled person might be asked this as well. When you answered that you were constipated, OP, since this person works and has you under their care, even if not directly, it is her business to ask about medically related issues so that you and her can determine if you need to go to the hospital, etc. She is potentially liable if she doesn't make best efforts to care for you minimally in this context. So, if you don't want someone to talk to you, you can tell someone that it is personal, you aren't currently having medically related issues, and that you don't want to talk to them about (issue- in this case, why you have a hot water bottle.)
Not hot where I am :(

@ZebraAutismo

Here's the FAQ from a company that supplies of the tech I mentioned.
They say 200-300 uses. All of mine have been used at least 20 times (I have around 10, from two different suppliers.

They use this stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_acetate
There's a heating pad section in that article.

The good thing about them is that you carry them at normal temperatures, and you make them self-heat when you need them.

New Threads

Top Bottom