• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

And The Diagnosis Is......

Sunnylims

ASD and ADHD (inattention)!!!

I have been self diagnosed for the past 3 months, but that just wasn't good enough for me. My first therapist appointment was on Feb 2, and since then my therapist has gone out of town TWICE in the middle of my assessment (lame). So I have been waiting a loooong time for this. I have had a lot of time to accept and even embrace my Aspie nature :)

I feel liberated. I feel like I don't have to be 53628 people anymore (one person when I was alone, another person when I was with family, another person when I was with peers, etc). I can just be ME all the time and it is a pretty awesome feeling. I literally want to shout it from the mountain tops!!!!.....but that's a little difficult in Nebraska:(. Oh well, I'll find a hill or something.

Oh and also my therapist said that last year, they, (whomever 'they' are) threw out the terms Autism and Aspergers altogether, and replaced it with the term ASD, which is basically an umbrella that covers everyone on the spectrum. Then they just rate it 1-3, 3 being severely autistic. Just something new I learned today.

So yeah, there was really no point to this post at all. I'm just extremely elated to finally have a formal diagnosis and this is my form of shouting it from the mountain tops, I guess :)

Thats OK Alexa, you are just so happy to have it officially diagnosed:):D
and welcome into the official fold.

Welcome Alexa :)

I think you'll find that those of us who learned of our ASD later in life have had a similar experience to yours. I myself am also self-diagnosed, but would like a formal diagnoses (am working on it).

In the meantime, feel free to look around the forums, share stories, and ask questions. I also recommend taking a look at our recommended resources page for books on ASD: Asperger's & Autism Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I have been self diagnosed for the past 3 months, but that just wasn't good enough for me. My first therapist appointment was on Feb 2, and since then my therapist has gone out of town TWICE in the middle of my assessment (lame). So I have been waiting a loooong time for this. I have had a lot of time to accept and even embrace my Aspie nature :)

I feel liberated. I feel like I don't have to be 53628 people anymore (one person when I was alone, another person when I was with family, another person when I was with peers, etc). I can just be ME all the time and it is a pretty awesome feeling. I literally want to shout it from the mountain tops!!!!.....but that's a little difficult in Nebraska:(. Oh well, I'll find a hill or something.

Oh and also my therapist said that last year, they, (whomever 'they' are) threw out the terms Autism and Aspergers altogether, and replaced it with the term ASD, which is basically an umbrella that covers everyone on the spectrum. Then they just rate it 1-3, 3 being severely autistic. Just something new I learned today.

So yeah, there was really no point to this post at all. I'm just extremely elated to finally have a formal diagnosis and this is my form of shouting it from the mountain tops, I guess :)

At the very least you got to shout it from the Forum top. It makes a good substitute hill anyways. Despite all this, if it made you feel good, thats all that really matters

Congratulations.

I know exactly what you mean about getting to just be yourself now. For some reason this phrase was stuck in my mind today:

"Through my own eyes"

As in now that I know, I can see the world that way. Not as others see it, or as they expect me to see it, or as they tell me its, but as I see it. Babble, or does that make any sense at all?

I can relate to every bit of that and give you my sincere congratulations on your Dx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Alexa! I absolutely know how you feel, especially that you have felt like different sorts of people depending on the people you're with. I have often described myself as a chameleon. Enjoy your new-found freedom!

Thank you all for the support! It really means more than you guys know! One of the more helpful suggestions from my therapist is a toy that they often use for autistic children called wacky tracks klixx toy. I am constantly moving and fidgeting and never paying attention and this toy remedies virtually all of that! I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't heard of it already, which wouldn't surprise me because I'm always the last to find things out;)

I'm an ABA therapist who already has had the ADHD diagnosis but I suspect ASD. Still waiting to make appointment with a professional that can tell me definitively one way or another. Looking forward to that mountaintop experience myself, and I'm in FL!!!

cjwebber68

I've been feeling the same way as you for the last 5 months since I diagnosed myself. Every day I'm feeling happier, less tired (from having to act a certain way on front of people) and less depressed in general. The only thing is that I notice my differences more when I'm near people and I'm a bit more anxious and I don't feel the need to see any of my friends anymore.

Last edited:
I've been feeling the same way as you for the last 5 months since I diagnosed myself. Every day I'm feeling happier, less tired (from having to act a certain way on front of people) and less depressed in general. The only thing is that I notice my differences more when I'm near people and I'm a bit more anxious and I don't feel the need to see any of my friends anymore.

It is so nice to feel happy for once isn't it? I haven't been this okay with myself since I can't even remember when. I know what you mean when you say you notice your differences more, though. I don't have any friends that I hang out with on a regular basis besides my boyfriend. When we go out on a date, I am always aware of everyone and everything going on around us. I have been dressing a lot more 'eccentric', if you will, and that results in a lot of stares, but I know that they are only staring because they don't know anything different. I have just become so aware that almost everyone (at least where I come from) is ALL the same. It drives me crazy, and I don't know how it doesn't drive them crazy? How can groups of girls go out all dressed in black dresses and enjoy looking like eachother? Whatever, haha.
I guess that is just my long way of saying that I am working on really embracing being different. I am by no means better than anyone else on this planet, I am a firm believer in that actually, but walking through a crowded place with ASD and my individuality under my belt, I do feel a sense of superiority. Perhaps this is what confidence feels like? hehe awesome.

Sorry that I type so much. I just have so many thoughts and I am horrible at verbalizing them, so when I come on here, the words just flow...and flow....and flow...:)

New Threads

Top Bottom