• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anniversaries are dumb

LostInSilentHill

Terrible Gaurdian Angel
Does anyone else think anniversaries are dumb? Like, you're celebrating being in a relationship with someone for a set amount of time, like it was an accomplishment. Is it such a hardship to be with someone, that you need to count the months and years? I think it's stupid. If you have someone you care about/love, then it shouldn't matter how long you've been together. Why is ten years more of an accomplishment than one year; did you not think you could make it that long? It makes me think that people don't respect their partner or themselves to think they could stay together.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think anniversaries are dumb? Like, you're celebrating being in a relationship with someone for a set amount of time, like it was an accomplishment. Is it such a hardship to be with someone, that you need to count the months and years? I think it's stupid. If you have someone you care about/love, then it shouldn't matter how long you've been together. Why is one year more of an accomplishment than ten years; did you not think you could make it that long? It makes me think that people don't respect their partner or themselves to think they could stay together.

Did ypu forget something ? :)

Im the same for xmas and bdays...

Well, you are asking for people who agree with you to reply. Any time you think that something is "dumb", you ought to consider seeking out why those who disagree with you think that way before concluding that it is "dumb". If you only ask others who agree with you already, you're not going to learn anything, and you risk thinking something is "dumb" for a "dumb" reason :-D

People who celebrate anniversaries are NOT doing it for any of those reasons that you listed. So I do not think they are dumb. So if you can only think of those reasons to celebrate, then it may be "dumb" for you, but don't throw everyone else under the bus just because you can't think of a better or different reason to celebrate.

People who celebrate anniversaries are NOT doing it for any of those reasons that you listed. So I do not think they are dumb. So if you can only think of those reasons to celebrate, then it may be "dumb" for you, but don't throw everyone else under the bus just because you can't think of a better or different reason to celebrate.

So why do you celebrate anniversaries? I'm curious.

I suppose I tend to put dumb/stupid in place of frustrating. I think the idea is frustrating, and having to celebrate it is frustrating but I guess I don't think about my word choice until later.

Celebrated an anniversary a few days ago. I celebrate it in some way; going on a picnic, making a cake, a restaurant meal, something to mark that day a long time ago where I wore a wedding dress and carried flowers and my husband wore his then one wool suit in summer and was so distracted he forgot to pack any underwear. (He likely remembers the rash the most.) Where we promised to care for and love one another in front of several hundred people.

It's the promise that I celebrate, the oath that I took. As an Aspie I keep my word, which is important to me. Promises are not something people consider important, but I do. Marriages are and can be complex things, they require a lifetime of working at a relationship, to understand one another, to get along, to continue to care for one another during fights, misunderstandings, sickness, anger, loss. Many people give up, divorce or separate, for their own complex or simple reasons.

I've worked so hard to understand another person for such a long time, that even when I'm angry at him, I still care for him. I celebrate not giving up and I celebrate being with a person I couldn't possibly live without. Someone who cares for and sees me for exactly who I am, and who I see and care for as exactly as they are. That is something to commemorate.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think anniversaries are dumb? Like, you're celebrating being in a relationship with someone for a set amount of time, like it was an accomplishment. Is it such a hardship to be with someone, that you need to count the months and years? I think it's stupid. If you have someone you care about/love, then it shouldn't matter how long you've been together. Why is ten years more of an accomplishment than one year; did you not think you could make it that long? It makes me think that people don't respect their partner or themselves to think they could stay together.

I feel an anniversary day not only celebrates that moment, but it honors the past day of that marriage, too, and it can bring back many wonderful memories from the prior year for that couple, to reflect on. Too often couples can be focused on working, or their children, and creating holiday memories for them, and taking things for granted about each other, so if there is no special day for themselves to me that devalues the relationship, as if it means nothing.

I see it as an accomplishment for any "loving couple" to married for any length of time, much less a couple with conditions who may have even have tougher times finding any success in relationships, as divorce and separations are common, and couples may stay together for other reasons. For those couples who no longer are in love, or do not envision a long life together, maybe my reply could have been different, as an anniversary day could bring about the wrong feelings, and create unneeded pressure.

For my wife and I we make things interesting each anniversary year. We each create our own theme each year, as per our own unique desires, and then the actions and gifts are based on that. As we both love writing and.being creative, and as we are each sentimental, the anniversary is seen as fun and showing our love, through our past, present or future memories, actions and visions. Heartfelt letters, poems, homemade gifts, and new ways to show our love make things interesting.

But, I could see how some with certain conditions whereby expressing or processing certain emotions could be more difficult, or for those who have difficulties with relationships, why they could find anniversaries as either neutral or upsetting. Personally, I am much less interested in my own birthday than wedding anniversaries. I do not see the point in my birthday, so I do not mind if I miss that. Maybe it is because I like giving more than receiving, or because I do not like focusing on age. Regardless, our son Aaron likes making me a pizza on that day, so I find good in that.

When I think of all my failed relationships....yeah, celebrating such milestones IS a big deal IMO.

One sadly I'll never know.

Those of you who can make it work....you rock. :cool:

I don't think they're dumb really. Relationships can be really hard work, and it's uncommon for people to be in relationships long enough.

Perhaps it is because it takes time to get to know the person we're with and even then, you never truly know him/her, there's always something new and changing with the seasons of life.

So every year you're together is like a level up of sorts, you celebrate how in the past year, you've changed, but managed to stay together despite that.

Marriage/relationships is certainly not easy and there are plenty of times that it's hell on earth...specially for two autists...in the end, every reminder and positive thing counts for something as it reminds us what we liked in the other person in the first place. You are not wrong in thinking that it might change in an instant. Like death, a relationship can slip by your fingers, even more so if its taken lightly.

We appreciate it, and celebrate it for kicks without thinking about the profound reason behind it, but for me, I do like having a sort of marker. It helps motivate me even more when I'm reminded that we've overcome so many things.

I've never been in a relationship before, but I do celebrate anniversaries of significant events like birthdays; I also celebrate main holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas but without having any big parties or anything. I'm not a partying type of fellow. Anyway - if I ever were in a relationship (whenever that might be...), I'd take anniversaries into account because I'd want to show her that I remember the specific milestones in our relationship, thus making her know that I truly care about her and our times together. I've watched some TV shows and some couples tend to do things like "weekaversaries", and I'd think that's too much. I'd go with 6 months and then do it in yearly increments - but if she were to mention a weekaversary, I'd go along with it simply because I'd care about her.

When I celebrate an anniversary, it's not because I think it's an accomplishment not to have dumped eachother. I celebrate the fact that we got together in the first place. I celebrate the fact that a chance encounter has led to this. I celebrate the fact that a friendly drink together turned into a long-term relationship. Neither of us had expected to ever found ourselves happily living together with another person, yet here we are, incredibly happy to have found each other, thankful every day, but choosing to celebrate that explicitly on the anniversary of the day this all started. Not every day is a happy day, and it's nice to be able to celebrate another year of conquering hardships (and the world!) together. Neither of us is the same person we were when this started, and when this ends neither of us will be the same as we are now. We just celebrate that while everything changes, our relationship remains a very pleasant constant.

You do not seem to be getting the agreement that you asked for in your start of this thread. By now you might be feeling dumb yourself. Don't sweat it. Most of us have times when what goes out from us is not what we actually meant.

I did not appreciate anniversaries during my short and awful marriage. That does not mean I thought the anniversaries were dumb. I was dumb for picking such a bad partner, but with the right partner, I would love anniversaries. I still love happy anniversaries of mostly happy marriages that I see around me. I think the partners who celebrate the passing of another year should be proud and I enjoy the celebration.

Last edited:
Why is ten years more of an accomplishment than one year; did you not think you could make it that long? It makes me think that people don't respect their partner or themselves to think they could stay together.

Ten years isn't really an accomplishment, it's just nice to think back on how long you've been together and all the stuff you've shared in that time. Ten years is absolutely more of a big deal than one year, and not because you're amazed that you lasted that long - more that it's fantastic that you've gotten to be with that one person all that time. I respect my partner, and I always hoped when we first got together that we'd be together forever, but ultimately nobody has a crystal ball and anything could have potentially happened.

Luckily, it didn't and we've been together 11 years on Friday and married 6 years on Saturday. We buy each other a card for our wedding anniversary and we'll get a takeaway, but we don't buy presents as neither of us really see the need.

Actually I think that wedding anniversaries should be celebrated only when the couple do not get on with each other, but recognise this and still work for harmony, which is my husband and I and we have just celebrated 26 years of marriage and happy to celebrate it, because IT IS an achievement to have virtually nothing in common and very voiltile personalities and yet, live together as husband and wife; not housemates and so, we celebrated that.

My husband left a rather fat envelope on my computer keyboard and inside was a favourite chocolate bar of mine and tons of pieces of carefully cut out paper with wonderful words. We went out for a meal the previous night and for our preccies, we are seeing if his mother's wonderful watch can work again for me and an old pocket watch to be fixed for him.

Why not celebrate sticking together when all the odds are against us and people would say: get a divorce and go your separate ways?

The fuss people can choose to make if an Anniversary is forgotten by a significant other..... now that's "dumb" imho
In my very limited and very personal opinion.

You mean they're mute? Lucky you. All the ones I've been to have been super noisy.

New Threads

Top Bottom