• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

I found an app on my own repository (Pop!_Shop) that was supposed to manage everything associated with the login screen. So I downloaded it and configured it and voila!

It did nothing at all beyond adding the text "welcome" to my login. Oy. Ironically you can do this with the software that comes straight away with Linux Mint, which works quite well in comparison. :rolleyes:

I was using a Mac for 30 years until I finely switched to Linux. Distro-hopped and for a while I used Manjaro, and recently switched to Endeavour.

Update:
Was using lubuntu and my system ran slow, froze and had all kinds of memory related problems (moreso using firefox with spotify)

I have switched back to MX Linux (I uninstalled it because of a certain situation of them managing my firefox browser which made me extremely paranoid thinking that they would hack all my passwords) and everything is peachy.

I do get a little bit of hiccups but they are minimal and not bad enough that my whole system freezes, I also like the environment a lot. I really hope this is the one

So I've started the process of building a Linux From Scratch system on the Raspberry Pi... We shall see how this goes. Probably won't turn into a daily use or a even a fully functional system, but it has been on my to do list for ages now.

I was curious about doing that many years ago, just for the sake of a learning exercise. Never got around to it though. I hope you share your adventures.

I finally ventured into a place I always wanted to go, but didn't know how. To make full use of third-party themes in Linux, courtesy of Gnome Shell Extensions.

Meaning I finally got my Mac OS Icons, and they look gorgeous. Simple, yet elegant. And most of all uniform. Plus I got a bit more than I wanted, but within Gnome Tweaks I can change at will my entire interface to appear as a Mac.

I also confirmed what I thought I learned through some bitter experiences of arbitrarily adding and subtracting various icons. That is, to let a theme app take most of the control of converting the operating system's icons in a single conversion through properly installing all the dependencies and executing them through Gnome Tweaks. Those icons in which were not automatically converted, I elected to attempt to manually change them, assuming a high probability that it would crash the system. But it never happened.

Here's the roadmap I used to making my interface more "Mac-like". It offers you all the resources you need to make it entirely like a Mac if you desire. Though I found it a bit too weird for my tastes...lol. Plus I discovered two programs that didn't want to play fair with Mac's minimize and maximize buttons. Firefox and Timeshift, both critical programs would not show these icons, plus Timeshift did not recognize the "dark" format and opened up with a white background and black text. Not too flattering when everything else looked dark and pristine.

Nice of someone who took the time to provide explicit instructions that I could finally understand:

https://dev.to/umekalu/customize-gnome-desktop-to-look-like-macos-2lal
Pop_OS Desktop.jpg

I was curious about doing that many years ago, just for the sake of a learning exercise. Never got around to it though. I hope you share your adventures.
Will do! So far the process looks similar to Gentoo, but hopefully compile times are faster, giving that when I installed Gentoo many years ago it was on my trusty netbook with a 1.6GHz dual core and a hard limit of 2GB RAM. I'm using the Raspberry Pi 4 8GB model, overclocked to 1.8GHz. Quad core ARM vs dual core x86-64 on the netbook. I suppose I could cross compile on a more powerful machine, never actually tried that before.

One peculiar thing about Pop!OS22.04 is in the settings called "Default Applications". Where it supersedes any defaults created through the file manager.

1. Web Browser
2.Mail
3. Calendar
4. Audio Player
5. Video Player
6. Photo Application

Seems redundant, and given the following, it can be quite problematic at times. So let me warn you...

When you add such programs through the repository, it will automatically list them accordingly. In the where a program may involve multiple mediums, it may show up in other categories.

All fine and well, except in the case of one program- VLC Media Player. An intensely greedy application that wants to be the default program for virtually ALL forms of audio and video applications. Where if you delete your audio player of choice (mine is "Audacious"), VLC instantly fills in the void and won't so easily give it back to another application. And to rid VLC of its control, much like so many of those pesky fonts you don't want or need, you have to go into the file manager and delete essentially every reference you can find involving VLC. Otherwise it can come back to haunt you.

In essence, once you establish these six particular default programs, you don't want to change them.

This sucks!

Default Applications.jpg

Last edited:
Been making good progress with LFS.

Unlike with Arch and Gentoo where I downloaded an installation .iso, booted into the install .iso and configured from there, with LFS I'm building the system on a host Raspberry Pi. I don't need a separate physical machine that I can SSH into. That was my go to method for Arch and Gentoo, do just enough configuring to get SSH set up, then login from another machine and configure/copy-paste commands over SSH.

When setting up LFS, there is no need for a separate machine. I just have an SD card inserted with a boot and root partition and I chroot into the LFS environment on the SD card.

The LFS guide assumes that the system will be set up in a single sitting, but it is possible to work on it off and on as I've been doing, as long as I remember to set things up properly every time.

Been using Linux since b4 GUI was widespread. Of course was a CLI guy in DOS before they got all windowed up. Have recently been using Ubuntu 20 something and didn't like how boggy it got. Currently running Linux Lite, and am pleased with it's responsiveness compared to Ubuntu 20+

More LFS notes!

I'm actually able to completely skip 2 important Linux things entirely by using a Raspberry Pi! The first thing is, I don't need to compile or recompile the kernel since the Raspberry Pi has its own ready to go. Literally just copy-paste. The other thing I can skip is installing and configuring GRUB, the Pi has its own bootloader as well, another copy-paste. I actually just cloned the boot partition to the LFS SD card. A bit too easy for my tastes, maybe I'll actually have a go at recompiling the kernel in future and see if I can strip out a few things I don't use.

The only hurdles so far are with config, make and install. Since everything has to be compiled from source, I've been getting plenty of errors! One thing with Linux that was always a sticking point for me was compiling from source. Sometimes things went flawlessly, but a lot of the time I ran into trouble. LFS has been the ultimate way of learning more about compiling from source.

Another related thing for those interested, I'm using a SanDisk Industrial SD card that I pulled out of a remote heart monitor a client gave me. The Raspberry Pi kills SD cards, I've gone through so many since I stared using Raspberry Pis. I use an mSATA SSD with a USB 3 adapter and enclosure for my daily use Pi 4. We shall see if the industrial SD card fares better than a regular one in a Raspberry Pi 4.

Last update (hopefully):

After struggling a while with my old computer running 2gb RAM and putting off using my macbook I got tired today of my slow running system on that old laptop when everything froze because I had spotify running on firefox and geany running some lines of code.

That really twisted my arm into trying out my macbook and here we are, 5gb RAM really does make a difference (so far, of course) I decided to install Linux Mint because it seemed like MX Linux was running well and just using about 26% of my RAM which made me happy and gave me hope.

Everything so far seems to be running way smoother and better, Cinammon is running about the same % of memory as MX Linux and that's good because I really like the desktop environment.

Wish me luck, hope it keeps running smoothly.

To do: When I get an income I'll update the memory once more to 8gb to see if I can run some games in this, don't want my steam library to go to waste and be completely abandoned forever.

To do: When I get an income I'll update the memory once more to 8gb to see if I can run some games in this, don't want my steam library to go to waste and be completely abandoned forever.
This might not be the greatest idea. Although having a bit more ram will help what really needs to be upgraded for gaming is the graphics card, not really an option on a regular laptop.

You'd be better off keeping the old laptop as it is and building yourself a decent computer.

You'd be better off keeping the old laptop as it is and building yourself a decent computer.
Thank you for this

I was thinking about this because I did use that computer for gaming on steam and I updated the ram to run Diablo 3 (which ran pretty well)

The computer does have an Nvidia 9400 card installed so that was my thought, just running classic old games on it

I've been using Linux since 2000. I've usually been able to do what I need with GIMP and Blender. I'm really disappointed to see the world didn't go open source.

I did it. Finally solved my dilemma between Photoshop 5.5, Wine 8.0.2 and Pop!OS22.04. :cool:

When I installed Pop!OS22.04 without proprietary Nvidia drivers, Wine 8.0.2 as well as Photoshop 5.5 installed uneventfully. What kept nagging at me was the fact that my other drive with Linux Mint 21.2 was running Photoshop 5.5 just fine, but with Nvidia's 525 drivers. So what was wrong with this picture?

I came to the conclusion that theoretically I should be able to run an Nvidia driver after-the-fact in Pop!OS22.04. That is, that I already successfully installed Wine 8.0.2 and Photoshop 5.5 using an open-source Xorg driver.

Knowing that at this point Pop!OS22.04 was fully updated with the latest kernel, I took the plunge and installed the Nvidia 470 driver. Tweaked it in Nvidia Settings that downloaded along with the driver and then rebooted the system. Once back up, I went into my "Wine" section and holding my breath, clicked the Photoshop 5.5 icon.

Photoshop 5.5 came up perfectly. No error messages and total functionality. What makes it all so great is that Pop!OS22.04 is touted as one of the best distros for gamers or anyone running an Nvidia video card. Not to mention it has a superior repository (software store) replete with all kinds of apps and games as well. More so than most other distros I've seen so far.

So right now I'm having my cake and eating it too, after weeks of struggle. :)

I now have a bootable Linux From Scratch system! I would post a screenshot, but it's not that exciting, just a black screen with root@tty1.

All in all about 9 hours compile time on the Raspberry Pi4, plus another few hours fixing issues with config, make and install.

LFS is not really convenient for me to use as a day to day system, especially when it comes time to update, it's more of a learning experience. But a fun project none the less!

New Threads

Top Bottom