• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Linux is for penguins.

The official kernel/OS of Opus the Penguin.
8c9a31bfbb8f51cfd31ea7ecbc6acae8.jpg

Linux is for penguins.

Possibly. Assuming of course that Microsoft Windows is for lemmings. But then as I "Recall".... it seems that it's Microsoft who is presently going off a cliff more than their users. Regardless of whether they perceive their status in the marketplace as a monopoly. :eek:

Making it an appropriate time to contemplate migrating to Linux, no matter how awkward it may seem. Just one of many blistering criticisms of Microsoft over their unending catastrophes associated with Windows 11:

Last edited:
I like a product that respects its users' rights, end of story. I like a product that respects hobbyists and people who want to participate in engineering and design.

Linux itself is kind of autistic by analogy. It does things its own way because it's a labor of love on the part of its contributors, but precisely because it's unentangled with commercial and world interests, its main drawback is the lack of acceptance. Even though it can do everything, sometimes more efficiently, and more cheaply, it gets snubbed because the lack of acceptance means the software or drivers are not available. Does that sound familiar? You can do everything, you're not a crowd pleaser, but you effectively can't do anything because nobody will accept you?

Linux itself is kind of autistic by analogy. It does things its own way because it's a labor of love on the part of its contributors, but precisely because it's unentangled with commercial and world interests, its main drawback is the lack of acceptance. Even though it can do everything, sometimes more efficiently, and more cheaply, it gets snubbed because the lack of acceptance means the software or drivers are not available. Does that sound familiar? You can do everything, you're not a crowd pleaser, but you effectively can't do anything because nobody will accept you?

Clever analogy. Perhaps why I always enjoy those images of Linus Torvald with his middle finger so prominently displayed, often between the images of Tom Cook and Bill Gates.

Linux users may have only three percent of the marketplace, but even with that low number I still find it thrilling to be a part of. As for my autism, I make no apology for that either. :cool:

But continuing that analogy, there's stuff it
Clever analogy. Perhaps why I always enjoy those images of Linus Torvald with his middle finger so prominently displayed, often between the images of Tom Cook and Bill Gates.

Linux users may have only three percent of the marketplace, but even with that low number I still find it thrilling to be a part of. As for my autism, I make no apology for that either. :cool:
I actually don't approve of that gesture on the part of Linus, and it might be among the reasons he wound up taking sensitivity courses, because he realized he's too abrasive sometimes. He flipped off Nvidia because he felt entitled to a fully open-source driver, and I think we would all prefer that, and we think the tradeoff in favor of their IP protection is really poor given that the super-rich can still reverse-engineer binary blobs, and it leaves users without source code. But you don't need to a flip off a company that does provide quality support just because it doesn't do it the particular way you would prefer.

But continuing that analogy, there's stuff it

I actually don't approve of that gesture on the part of Linus, and it might be among the reasons he wound up taking sensitivity courses, because he realized he's too abrasive sometimes. He flipped off Nvidia because he felt entitled to a fully open-source driver, and I think we would all prefer that, and we think the tradeoff in favor of their IP protection is really poor given that the super-rich can still reverse-engineer binary blobs, and it leaves users without source code. But you don't need to a flip off a company that does provide quality support just because it doesn't do it the particular way you would prefer.

I'm just grateful that there's someone willing to stand up and express their ire in such a public way. It may be uncouth, but it says something important to corporate behemoths like Nvidia, Google, Meta and Microsoft.

Though I also concede that Nvidia seems to be trending more towards the needs of the Linux community than away from it. But it's a slow process. And I don't see Nvidia abandoning their heavy-handed approaches to other vendors anytime soon.

I'm just grateful that there's someone willing to stand up and express their ire in such a public way. It may be uncouth, but it says something important to corporate behemoths like Nvidia, Google, Meta and Microsoft.

Though I also concede that Nvidia seems to be trending more towards the needs of the Linux community than away from it. But it's a slow process.

It's neither flattering nor noble to fight the wrong enemy. There are animals with huge stones and no heart. Ones with horns.

It's neither flattering nor noble to fight the wrong enemy. There are animals with huge stones and no heart. Ones with horns.

Fighting the real enemies of the Linux Community is presently futile. Compounded by governments which stress a misguided principle (IMO) of the notion of certain entities deemed "too big to fail". The same ones you refer to as having "horns".

Those condoned under a government "umbrella" of sorts, no matter how catastrophic their relations with the public may be. Corporations which continue to regurgitate inferior and invasive operating systems, social media and commercial aircraft.

"Flattering and noble" is as good as it's likely to get under the circumstances. Consequently I remain content as seeing the Linux Community continue to do what it does best and not expect much more.

Though I keep a watchful eye on entities like "Red Hat" for the obvious reasons. One intent on adopting a corporate model that is toxic to most Linux users who abandoned such entities to start with.

Last edited:
Fighting the real enemies of the Linux Community is presently futile. Compounded by governments which stress a misguided principle (IMO) of the notion of certain entities deemed "too big to fail". The same ones you refer to as having "horns".

Those condoned under a government "umbrella" of sorts, no matter how catastrophic their relations with the public may be. Corporations which continue to regurgitate inferior and invasive operating systems, social media and commercial aircraft.

I see Cthulan tendrils reaching for me, and they are going to get the brush-off because I've lost all interest in world affairs. You can't polish filth.

I’ve been using linux for close to four years. I’m still using my System76 Gazelle (gaze 15). I didn’t stick with pop OS which is what is installed with it. But my nature to be constantly dissatisfied made me disto-hop until I settled with Manjaro for a while. But. I was dissatisfied with how buggy Manjaro gets and disto-hopped again until I landed on ArcoLinux. In spite of me not spending time on learning command-lines I am pretty much hooked on Arch because of AUR.

Edited for spelling errors

Last edited:
I've been happy with Parrot Linux for a while now. I was running Linux Lite to get around the boggyness of Ubuntu, but it started having its own issues, so I tried Parrot. Peppy and no observed glitches so far.

Neither can you ignore it. Neither does Linus Torvald, in his own way.
Have you ever watched Linus in the forums? He's been forced to tone it down a bit in more recent years but he doesn't suffer fools lightly and can shred your average troll in seconds.

I never tried to speak to him personally, for me the view from the peanut gallery was just fine. :D

I must say, since installing Pop!OS22.04 using UEFI on my latest computer build looks ok and runs seemingly ok, but has many more creepy log entries that made me uneasy. While Linux Mint 21.3 continues to run just fine on UEFI and Secure boot with minimal and confirmed benign log entries.

Right now I'm still experimenting in putting Linux Mint 21.3 "on its' ear" by using the Gnome Desktop Manager and attempting to make the GUI appear more like a Mac. What continues to confuse me though are certain critical functions like the update manager (that seem fine when run through Light Desktop Manager) but in some cases can't be found when converted to Gnome Desktop Manager. Still not sure as to how I get the update manager to work in Gnome, assuming I don't need to look for some kind of Gnome substitute.

This experiment may ultimately end up reformatting my drive to something else...like Nobara39 for Gnome. We shall see...but I have read a few critics suggesting that Linux Mint was not meant to drastically freelance the GUI in a very different way.

Last edited:
This might be a bit of a controversial thing to say here in the Linux thread but I still wouldn't consider Linux all of the way there in terms of 'everyone and their mother could easily drop Windows and MacOS and switch to Linux' yet.

I feel it's great if you're one of two demographics of computer user:
- You're someone who basically exclusively uses the web browser for everything. You go on your PC, open up your browser, and you're checking your Facebooks, YouTubes, emails, watching stuff on Netflix or whatever streaming services you're subbed to (except Peacock because Peacock hates Linux for some reason which is ass)

- You're someone who's cool with troubleshooting and tinkering and you understand that not everything is going to work 100% out of the box and you might have to spend some time configuring something to get it to work and know how to search for and follow instructions and guides for something you don't know how to do but you have to fix.

But the problem is, there is a third demographic: people who do more than just use their web browser but are not comfortable enough with troubleshooting because they know they don't have enough technical know-how to avoid potentially screwing something up and just want stuff that works without needing to look up guides or ask for help because it's not working.

It's not an everyday occurrence, of course, but there have been times where I've been tinkering and trying to get stuff to work on Linux and I just think 'If I was someone else, I probably would have given up like 20 minutes ago and wondered why am I even bothering with this and considered uninstalling Mint and just going back to Windows'

(Obviously I ain't saying Windows or MacOS are free of tinkering, but there really does seem to be a lot more tinkering involved with Linux)

This might be a bit of a controversial thing to say here....
I think you're right to a large degree but one of the biggest problems people have is simply a lack of familiarity. The average Windows user has similar problems if they migrate to MacOS. All the programs have funny names and funny icons that they don't recognise.

Just the same as Windows, a lot of the programs that get shipped with Linux distros are rubbish and you have to go searching the net (or the repository) for better equivalents. Once again lack of familiarity makes this more difficult.

There's also a problem where a lot of people offering guides and advice seem to be more interested in showing off how clever they are than actually helping people and like to give long winded technical explanations for even the simplest of tasks. So the necessary advice gets buried in the depths of confusing and conflicting semantics.

There's also a problem where a lot of people offering guides and advice seem to be more interested in showing off how clever they are than actually helping people and like to give long winded technical explanations for even the simplest of tasks. So the necessary advice gets buried in the depths of confusing and conflicting semantics.
Those are the same types of people who I feel don't actually want Linux to become more popular because they just want to continue to act smug and believe themselves to be superior in comparison to the plebeian masses using Windows.

(And then inevitably whenever someone makes a post about that type of Linux user on social media, there's always going to be at least one of them showing up in the replies to try and defend and justify their attitude and behavior while everyone else is like 'you're an a-hole' and they just continue to double-down on acting like that)

New Threads

Top Bottom