• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody Shaking Uncontrollably?

AspieChris

V.I.P Member
About 2 years ago my hands started shaking during the day. Not at night when I’m sleeping, or in the morning. It’s really my whole body sort of quivering, but it’s really only affecting my fine motor skills with my hands. It comes and goes throughout the day. Goes away when I’m drunk, but it started at a time when I hadn’t had any alcohol in months (so alcohol withdrawals are definitely not the problem)

The more I find myself in difficult situations, where I KNOW I get stressed, the worse the shaking gets. Like after a bad car accident, every normal person gets very stressed and might be shaking afterwards. My life is generally very stressful but lately there have been a lot more difficulties added to my general daily load. And I find myself shaking off and on throughout the day. I’m not thinking about everything all at once, but things I know will need my attention are always at the back of my mind. And all it takes is for my boss to yell at me, blaming me for some calamity that I had nothing to do with, and I’m shaking all day so badly that I can’t even sign my own name without the pencil dancing all over the page.

Anybody else have this problem? It has to be stress, right?

It could be stress. I shake in my left hand because of medication slightly but when I am having a panic attack my main symptom is shaking hands.

Many years ago I had a terrible mania attack and I would shake all over hands included. That could have been stress related too.

Googling "anxiety hands shaking" comes up with plenty of results. So it could easily be explained away by high stress, or prolonged stress.

I ache daily because of my stress. Hasn't stopped since 2012.

Ed

Adrenaline makes people shake, so if you're stressed and someone yells at you, the shaking sounds adrenaline related. But I'm not a doctor. I just pretend to be one and send bills to people. ;)

I get this when I'm very stressed or anxious. In super bad situations it can be my whole body but in general it tends to must be one of my legs. Yelling is a big source of anxiety for me. It reminds me of unpleasant things.

I knew a young woman when I was the same age who had constant jittery shaking in her hands and fingers. I know she liked coffee, but I don't know if that was the reason for it or contributed to it.

Have you talked to a doctor about this? Have you been screened for Parkinsons?

Pain in hands is symptom of older age in autism,, I think.
It can also be blood pressure also exacerbated by alcohol intake.
It can be meds or also stress.

Rule out symptoms

My hands shake when I am very nervous and have major anxiety.

my grandfather had this ,his was very bad . And also his mother my great grandmother did as well .

It only started happening a few years ago Now it happens a few times a week .

And yes if I have a drink I goes away completely.

But #%}* that , I let it shake and get it out my system , I take deep breaths put my noise canceling headphones on

It mainly happens at work .
I have concluded its from overstimulation and anxiety around me .

Out of curiousity, I did a web search. I thought the following was interesting about essential tremors (Have no idea as to the validity). The article stated that one way to know you have essential tremors is if they go away with a stiff drink. I cut and pasted that part of the article below under the website link to the full article.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a20512110/why-are-my-hands-shaking/

Essential tremor​

By far the most common form of chronic hand tremor—up to 1 in 25 people, or 4% of the population, may experience it—essential tremor is a shaking that comes on when you’re trying to perform some kind of work or action with your hands, says Gordon Baltuch, MD, PhD, a professor of neurosurgery at the University of Pennsylvania and associate director of the Parkinson’s Disease Research, Education and Clinical Center.

If your hand shakes when you’re trying to type or write, or you notice it most when you’re reaching to pick up a salt shaker or your drinking glass, that’s indicative of this form of tremor, Baltuch explains

It can be mild—almost unnoticeable—or so pronounced that you can’t complete daily tasks. But there’s one easy way to tell if what you’re experiencing is essential tremor: Have a stiff drink. “If you do and the tremor goes away, there’s your diagnosis right there,” he says.

My hands sometimes tremble, usually when I’m anxious, feeling like I’m gonna have an anxiety attack (not fun), or when my blood sugar is low. I guess medication can also play a role in it too, I was on medication to raise my iron levels up a few years back and I didn’t have an appetite at all until I switched to medication that worked for me. I’m off these meds now as my doctor said it’s OK.

My hands sometimes tremble, usually when I’m anxious, feeling like I’m gonna have an anxiety attack (not fun), or when my blood sugar is low. I guess medication can also play a role in it too, I was on medication to raise my iron levels up a few years back and I didn’t have an appetite at all until I switched to medication that worked for me. I’m off these meds now as my doctor said it’s OK.
Unfortunately another medication I took caused me to put on weight for no reason and caused my body image to tank.

@Luca, I know you’ve dealt with similar problems relating to you and your self image, what are some things that make you feel body confident?

About 2 years ago my hands started shaking during the day. Not at night when I’m sleeping, or in the morning. It’s really my whole body sort of quivering, but it’s really only affecting my fine motor skills with my hands. It comes and goes throughout the day. Goes away when I’m drunk, but it started at a time when I hadn’t had any alcohol in months (so alcohol withdrawals are definitely not the problem)

The more I find myself in difficult situations, where I KNOW I get stressed, the worse the shaking gets. Like after a bad car accident, every normal person gets very stressed and might be shaking afterwards. My life is generally very stressful but lately there have been a lot more difficulties added to my general daily load. And I find myself shaking off and on throughout the day. I’m not thinking about everything all at once, but things I know will need my attention are always at the back of my mind. And all it takes is for my boss to yell at me, blaming me for some calamity that I had nothing to do with, and I’m shaking all day so badly that I can’t even sign my own name without the pencil dancing all over the page.

Anybody else have this problem? It has to be stress, right?
It could be stress, medication, low blood sugar, exhaustion, or any of a dozen other things. There are stress reduction techniques one can try. I'd suggest seeing a doctor to narrow down the possibilities.

Unfortunately another medication I took caused me to put on weight for no reason and caused my body image to tank.

@Luca, I know you’ve dealt with similar problems relating to you and your self image, what are some things that make you feel body confident?
I always tell myself that there’s nothing wrong with my body, and I wear clothes that I’m comfortable and confident in.
I just taught myself to be comfortable in my own skin, it’s hard to explain but it eventually worked.

Yeah, a blood test might help. I think maybe magnesium is one potential remedy.
Tremors are uncontrollable, usually from meds. I had shaking since a child as I was very slim was low blood pressure as opposed to high blood pressure. When I was nervous, the shakes were worse.
I'm an unagressive person, if confronted with a physical fight my heart rate soars....sometimes even asserting myself resulted in tummy ache and increase. Pulse rate.
It's known that emotional triggers can off set epileptic fit which is also neurological as with autism.
We need calcium and magnesium for bones. Muscle development is potassium(oats) and zinc.
This is where Russians are very clued up on not just blood pressure but release oxygen to muscle and bone and with my altzeimers the main thing to work was vitamin b complex and amazing is folic acid.
It's loosely termed highly strung....the shakes. I know this sounds unwanted but occassional alcohol. It's not good for autism but I know when I was younger it helped me over come stress.

That was fast…. I was checking this thread hoping for one response, but everyone jumped in pretty quick!

I have always had low(ish) blood pressure. Never high. Although I learned recently that I can actually raise it significantly on command. And I’m never without a Mountain Dew in my hand, so low blood sugar isn’t really a possibility. I thought it might be caffeine so I switched to 7up but no change. I can say I’m fairly certain it’s stress, aggravated by age related crap and too much drinking.

Out of curiousity, I did a web search. I thought the following was interesting about essential tremors (Have no idea as to the validity). The article stated that one way to know you have essential tremors is if they go away with a stiff drink. I cut and pasted that part of the article below under the website link to the full article.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a20512110/why-are-my-hands-shaking/

Essential tremor​

By far the most common form of chronic hand tremor—up to 1 in 25 people, or 4% of the population, may experience it—essential tremor is a shaking that comes on when you’re trying to perform some kind of work or action with your hands, says Gordon Baltuch, MD, PhD, a professor of neurosurgery at the University of Pennsylvania and associate director of the Parkinson’s Disease Research, Education and Clinical Center.

If your hand shakes when you’re trying to type or write, or you notice it most when you’re reaching to pick up a salt shaker or your drinking glass, that’s indicative of this form of tremor, Baltuch explains

It can be mild—almost unnoticeable—or so pronounced that you can’t complete daily tasks. But there’s one easy way to tell if what you’re experiencing is essential tremor: Have a stiff drink. “If you do and the tremor goes away, there’s your diagnosis right there,” he says.
Thank you. I’m going to look into this.

I knew a young woman when I was the same age who had constant jittery shaking in her hands and fingers. I know she liked coffee, but I don't know if that was the reason for it or contributed to it.

Have you talked to a doctor about this? Have you been screened for Parkinsons?
No history of Parkinsons or any other brain-related diseases in my family, so probably not.

New Threads

Top Bottom