• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Physical Shutdowns Rare?

I've never passed out from a shutdown. But it is frequent that I cannot physically move my tongue or hands to speak. I don't know if that qualifies as "physical."

Is why I was rejected for PIP in the past as I was asked "If you are in a shutdown, could you write a list out to send someone else to a shop to buy things for you? I said I would be on the floor unable to speak or move or see or hear, so no".
The lady said "Then you are not eligable for PIP".

But yes. What you describe is a physical element of a shutdown. (I get my whole body shutting down so though I do notice the mental side of it, it is the physical side of it that is way more noticable to me!

It is like using a computer with Windows 95, and a virus comes along... And ones computer senses it and says "Windows is shutting down" while you are in the middle of writing something, and one is speedingly trying to finish the task or save it before it shuts down! Physical shutdowns feel like this but with my body shutting down its systems one at a time until I end up on the floor!

Now I know thr triggers, I can usually avoid having full out shutdowns BUT I do go into partial shutdowns which always take place before a full out shutdown occurs, so to me they are warning signs so if I try to ignore them and not remove myself in time to a place without the triggers, I know what will happen!!!

I think a lot of people physically freeze up, even those who aren't on the spectrum. Especially when they're stuck in a 'fight-or-flight' response to some kind of stimuli. Or maybe it's between the two? I've always wondered how that worked.

Although I would definitely say that the way it affects those on the spectrum and to what degree probably varies even more, and we have thresholds that would probably be considered abnormal. But long and sustained emotional shutdowns aside, because I feel like those are often more complex and possibly less-experienced by neurotypicals.

Masking would be rather difficult at best during a shutdown but not masking does not automatically equate to being in a shutdown.
Yeah, I see that. What I'm asking is: If we could mask, shutdowns wouldn't happen, right? The shutdown happens because the situation is too overwhelming that masking no longer works to keep us going?

I think a lot of people physically freeze up, even those who aren't on the spectrum. Especially when they're stuck in a 'fight-or-flight' response to some kind of stimuli. Or maybe it's between the two? I've always wondered how that worked.
In my own case, it's always a matter of complete "flight". Total retreat, particularly away from any and all humans. An intense struggle to find complete solitude- and in a hurry.

New Threads

Top Bottom