• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Trait That I Did Not Realize I Had...

I'd rather be slightly too warm than not have a weighty blanket. But I don't like being too hot either. I can regulate the temperature a bit by putting a leg outside the blanket. I do also have a fan blowing full tilt too though. I also find the drone from the fan helps me sleep, sometimes I just put it on for the noise :)
I like the white noise, but more importantly, it makes my tinnitus more manageable.

I'm camping right now. It's a warm night so I can just lay on top of a sheet that's on top of my sleeping bag. Perfect.

I like the white noise, but more importantly, it makes my tinnitus more manageable.
I've had some sort of mild tinnitus for as long as I can remember. "Silence" just drives me mad. I always have to have some sort of sound or I'm distracted by what I'd describe as a constant squeal. It's kinda like the sound an old CRT makes but many times louder.

When I've been describing my insomnia issues (mostly caused by depression and pain) to health professionals, they always think that they've told me something novel and ingenious saying "WeLl No WoNdEr YoU cAn'T sLeEp WiTh AlL tHaT nOiSe..."

They seem to be confused about what helps THEM sleep and what helps ME sleep. Then they get all bitchy about it when I explain to them that silence does not aid my sleep one little bit.

It frustrates me a lot as I literally tell them the reason why I can't sleep and they just want to indulge in a silly fantasy that it's something other than that and try to chastise me for doing what actually helps.

It's kinda like the sound an old CRT makes but many times louder.
Exactly!!!

And since my parents couldn't hear that sound, they didn't believe me when I said I could hear it. I could tell the television was on 2 rooms away, even with the volume turned off.

I remember when I started working on tech support, the CRTs were all set to 60hz refresh, or even 56hz, and I'd get into the video settings when nobody was looking and set it to the highest the monitor was capable of. Supervision didn't have a clue what I was talking about, but some of those CRTs would have left me screaming.

I hear that tone all the time now.

When I trained in CRT repair, it was the flyback transformer that that made that sound, in the same range as the "mosquito" tone...
Hearing Test - Mosquito ringtone TeenBuzz

Same with the tinnitus. I can't stand quiet. The ringing ears have gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can't sleep without some sort of sound. Preference is ambient music.

The battle between wanting the feel of a comforting blanket vs the need to stay cool is not easy living in a hot climate.
I keep a ceiling fan on in my bedroom all the time.
I have several different blankets for the seasons, if you can call them seasons here.
It is never very cold, even in winter. But I must have the feel of something a bit weighty over me to sleep.

I don't like the feel of clothes, so I sleep nude anyway. Still, I need the feel of that blanket to sleep. If I wake up hot, I uncover part of me, and the ceiling fan usually takes care of that pretty quick. As soon as I start to feel cooled, it's back under the cover.

It's the middle of the night, and I am actually experiencing that now. In the winter I use 3 comforters, but in the summer I really only need a sheet or a thin blanket. But I choose to have at least one comforter in my bed, for the weight. I love that feeling.

However, I have been kicking it off all night long. And then after a while, putting it back on. I have two other comforters here too, but I do not use them in this season. I wish I could.

I wonder if I could sew washers along the edges of a sheet? But that would rust in the wash. What do they normally use for weights in weighted blankets?

Same with the tinnitus. I can't stand quiet. The ringing ears have gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can't sleep without some sort of sound. Preference is ambient music.

The battle between wanting the feel of a comforting blanket vs the need to stay cool is not easy living in a hot climate.
I keep a ceiling fan on in my bedroom all the time.
I have several different blankets for the seasons, if you can call them seasons here.
It is never very cold, even in winter. But I must have the feel of something a bit weighty over me to sleep.

I don't like the feel of clothes, so I sleep nude anyway. Still, I need the feel of that blanket to sleep. If I wake up hot, I uncover part of me, and the ceiling fan usually takes care of that pretty quick. As soon as I start to feel cooled, it's back under the cover.

I sleep nude too. I'm glad I am not the only one. 🤣

I wonder if I could sew washers along the edges of a sheet? But that would rust in the wash. What do they normally use for weights in weighted blankets?
I thought about doing something similar too. I suspect that they used some sort of plastic encased metal slugs perhaps?

I considered aluminium as that won't corrode in an ugly way but that's a very light material. I wonder if pennies might be a good idea as they don't tend to corrode badly unless left submerged in water or mud. Even then a trip through the washing machine often makes them look as good as new.

I once found a pound coin in the garden when I was about 13-14 (a lot of money to me at the time) and it was grimy and dull but still obviously a £1 coin. I subtly put it into the watch pocket in my jeans which I put in the wash when I'd finished my chores in the garden. I completely forgot it was in there and when the wash had finished, I found a nice clean coin in my jeans!

I thought autistic people were more likely to not withstand heat?

I can't bear being hot in bed. Even in the winter I prefer a thin quilt, because I warm up eventually via body heat, even though I only sleep in underpants, all year round. I would rather be too cold in bed than too hot. So weighted blankets are a no-no for me.
Reviewed Russian research on oxygen to muscles, accounting diet and blood pressure. With alteimers heat regulation is worse and heatvpacks or cool packs alleviate pain....
So this was key for me understanding myself laying on cold tiles like a snake, reptile with less social or heat regulation

Recently, I changed my bedding from heavy winter blankets to light summer blankets. While I do not miss the heat of the former, I found myself missing their weight. Who knew!?

That's one of the hardest things for me, switching from winter to summer. I need the weight, but I can't sleep if I start sweating. If it's hot enough for air conditioning, that helps, but otherwise it can be tough.

My Tinnitus is bothering me right now. Not just the ringing, but its undulating.

Much of the time I can ignore it, but sometimes I just can't. :(

First thing I did When I meet my wife, what's with the bed clothing. underwear is all you need, unless your overly modest or a prude. She has never looked back Necessity of warm sock now matters with me, too painful if my foot gets cold, very sensitive to temperature variations. Even left side of my mouth hot food dives me nuts only on left side

Last edited:
It's the middle of the night, and I am actually experiencing that now. In the winter I use 3 comforters, but in the summer I really only need a sheet or a thin blanket. But I choose to have at least one comforter in my bed, for the weight. I love that feeling.

However, I have been kicking it off all night long. And then after a while, putting it back on. I have two other comforters here too, but I do not use them in this season. I wish I could.

They usually use the poly pellets you find in bean bags. If you want more weight use glass beads.

My Tinnitus is bothering me right now. Not just the ringing, but its undulating.

Mine has always undulated. It seems to coincide with my pulse.

A few days ago I was accosted by tinnitus, but just in one ear, the one I was sleeping on.
It was "loud" and I have never experienced that before to that degree.
Being stoic, I simply accepted my lot in life and tried to get back to sleep.
However, it dissipated fairly shortly after.

I later realised that it was probably due to moisture buildup in the ear due to histamine poisoning.
Sympathies for those who have to deal with it long term.

BTW, Do you ever have relief?

New Threads

Top Bottom