• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic" or "Person with Autism"?

Although my original, official diagnosis was 'Aspergers Syndrome', I am an autistic person.
I believe it was in use as a diagnosis up to about 10 years ago, when they removed it from the DSM-5 and replaced it with ASD1, but those diagnosed with it still retain that diagnosis (unless re-assessed more recently).

Utilitarianism trumps idealism
Or as Tom Lehrer sang it...

🎼Gather 'round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun
A man whose allegiance
Is ruled by expedience
Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown
"Ha, Nazi, Schmazi" says Wernher von Braun 🎶

Makes no difference to me. Not worth getting offended over because, in most cases, neither one is used as an insult.
I don't think it matters. Either one of these means just about the same thing. The attitude and intent of heart that someone says it with is what determines whether it is meant to be insulting or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom