• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being too radical

Ban

I feel like an issue I have with communication is that the ideas themselves I am trying to communicate are too radical to even be able to be conceived off.
It seems like the difference is like in online games when you can talk to other players. In some games you can open a text box and type whatever you want, in others you get a drop down menu of predetermined phrases to choose from. In real life I feel as though other people seem to be restricted to using predetermined thoughts and opinions when talking and not just thinking about the question considering their thoughts and giving an original response. I also find they are often restricted to hearing responses in this way too. So if I "open my text box" and say something original it doesn't translate if in there world the only responses are the ones in the drop down list, there brain will then automatically translate what I've said to the closest fit from the prewritten phrases avaliable. This results in them hearing something which they think they understand but interpreting it wrong. It's like those illusions where there's a word spelt wrong and your brain fixes it without you even realising it.

Last edited:
Most people communicate because it's pleasurable. Overthinking, overanalyzing, or discussing deep thoughts or philosophical views is tiring and exhausting so people will generally respond in a way to help you get back on track to a normal, pleasurable conversation.

I experience this issue too. My brain can make connections and conclusions WAY faster than most people, so I'll say things that make sense to me, but then I find out that others don't get the connections or are missing vital information to make my statement logical. So frustrating when I then have to explain the logic chain or fill in the missing information!

I experience this issue too. My brain can make connections and conclusions WAY faster than most people, so I'll say things that make sense to me, but then I find out that others don't get the connections or are missing vital information to make my statement logical. So frustrating when I then have to explain the logic chain or fill in the missing information!

Do you think that's because you're autistic or because you're more intelligent or logical than most people?

That's an interesting way of articulating it, but I've thought the same thing for half my life.

If you spend a lot of time thinking alone, remember that you bring to the table the weight of all the avenues you've travelled. And that's confronting to people who don't spend a lot of time on the act as you do. The ability to be original in thought is extremely dependent on having a wide breadth of interconnected paths between areas not commonly associated so if there is no ability to see patterns in patterns then they'll see the thoughts as disjointed because verbal communication is an extremely harsh compression process reliant on the recipients' set of skills and knowledge to "unzip" the file. Especially if you have an unoptimised translation and compression program. o_O I hope that makes sense, I struggle with the same thing everyday and people begin to either think I'm either haughty if I'm accurate or unhinged if lazy in the attempt. In short I have to remind myself that I've been training to sprint all my life and I'm asking others to exhaust themselves over coffee :(

Look for people who just "get it" and you'll be happy as a clam and won't need to seek interesting connection from those unfit for you

If you spend a lot of time thinking alone, remember that you bring to the table the weight of all the avenues you've travelled. And that's confronting to people who don't spend a lot of time on the act as you do. The ability to be original in thought is extremely dependent on having a wide breadth of interconnected paths between areas not commonly associated so if there is no ability to see patterns in patterns then they'll see the thoughts as disjointed because verbal communication is an extremely harsh compression process reliant on the recipients' set of skills and knowledge to "unzip" the file. Especially if you have an unoptimised translation and compression program. o_O I hope that makes sense, I struggle with the same thing everyday and people begin to either think I'm either haughty if I'm accurate or unhinged if lazy in the attempt. In short I have to remind myself that I've been training to sprint all my life and I'm asking others to exhaust themselves over coffee :(
I think this is an interesting point, I suppose my thoughts are the sum of my own experiences and then the thinking I have done to tie them all together. Other people have had different experiences and then probably not sat about trying to connect all the dots so when I'm coming into conversations with all these dots connected the other person might not even be aware of the dots never mind have spent the time connecting them and yet I have the cheek to be baffled ant why they can't pick up everything I'm saying straight away.

New Threads

Top Bottom