• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bread making

Whole wheat flour can really add nice texture to anything. I would use it in carrot cake because of the density and chew factor. But l do sift it for carrot cake.

Last edited:
Whole wheat flour can really add nice texture to anything. I would use it in carrot cake because of the density and chew factor. But l do sift it for carrot cake.

I'll have to try that for carrot cake. I add some WW flour to pizza dough to improve the flavor, color and texture. It probably adds a little more nutrition, too.

In this video here, this guy recommends adding unsweetened pineapple juice to start growing leavening. Would using unsweetened orange juice work as well?:

In this video here, this guy recommends adding unsweetened pineapple juice to start growing leavening. Would using unsweetened orange juice work as well?:
It will depend on the sugar content of the juice, the temperature of the room ,how tight the seal on the container is,that's why pineapple is good its pure sugar,when bread machines work they are a boon but if they don't, they're a reminder that they weren't free and you've lost a loaf of bread,no different from any other way to bake bread

Have you tried breadfruit?

You cut it into wedges, and coat the pieces in olive oil. Glacing them prevents them from going dry.

It has a pleasant taste, as the starch becomes sugary. It tastes kind of like vanilla custard.

I think I'm going take up bread-making as my next, homesteading skill, I like high-quality bread, and I do actually already have some good experience with baking already, including making cornbread muffins on a regular basis. This coming week I'm going to try and get some wheat flour, barley flour and cornmeal and try baking with it; since it's Lent, I'll be making unleavened vegan flatbread for the most part, but I'm thinking-up plans for Easter.

Are any of you good at making high-quality bread? What experiences have you had, do you know any good recipes and tips?
Its bread made without an oven

Hi everyone,

sorry I've been really busy working on my novel; I've grown leavening and today I plan on making a loaf of rye bread. I want to give it a sourdough-taste but can't make actual sourdough as I don't have a dutch oven. Can I just ferment it and just bake it as a regular loaf? Or is there a specific reason I can't do it that way and will just have stick to baking an average rye-loaf?

I'm probably too late in responding to your question, but I looked it up in my "Baking Bible" - The King Arthur Baking Company's All-Purpose Baker's Companion book. It says to add some wheat flour (unbleached all- purpose flour) to the rye flour so the loaf isn't too heavy, and to lower the pH of the dough by adding something sour, like sour cream or even pickle juice to the batter. Maybe try adding 1/2 cup of sour cream or 1/3 cup of the vinegar that dill pickles are brined in. Let us know if that works.

I'm having a lot of trouble with bread-making, the bread just won't rise. Does anyone know any ways to improve this, as well as preferably make bread with a more sourdoughy taste. Unfortunately the leaven I made went bad, so I'm going to have to start a new one before making bread again.

slow rise in a warm room. Maybe on top of an unused burner as you're cooking breakfast, or next to the hearth, if you light a morning fire. Patience.

You can alternately make matza. It's different from the crackers that people eat on Passover. It's a soft, warm flat bread.

You take some flour, add a little salt, a little smidge of oil, and some warm seasonings like cumin or sage. mix in just enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll into small balls and then pat flat. Cook it on a skillet until it puffs slightly on both sides.

I don't know the exact measurements, so the flour is probably 2 cups, the salt is probably a tsp, the oil is probably a Tbs, and the seasonings are probably a Tbs, and the water is around 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. Maybe less.

Use fresh, recently purchased, instant yeast. Test the yeast before you use it to be sure it is active. Just sprinkle a little yeast in a cup of lukewarm water with a sprinkle of sugar in it. Cover it and wait till it starts forming little bubbles. That usually doesn't take more than 30 minutes. Then you will know that the yeast is good. No bubbles means the yeast is dead.

I usually let my dough rise on the kitchen counter. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I put it on top of the refrigerator for a faster rise because heat rises to the ceiling. My favorite, most flavorful way to do it is to put the dough in the refrigerator overnight or even for a couple of days. A slow rise at a lower temperature makes a tasty bread.

I make bread by being a secretary.

Then I use that bread to buy bread.

Ok, I just confused myself.

I seem to have gotten the hang of unleavened flatbread, I've made some really good wheat bread, plan on making barley flatbread later this week, and have made some really good corn flat bread with milk and maple syrup; albeit, it's really crumbly, I'm going to trying adding an egg to see if that helps [or hurts!].

Now I need to have another go at leavened bread, I think the issue is, is that I'm using organic, home-grown leavening so I have difficulty getting the measurements right. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon, I'll take a look at the channel where I found-out how to grow your own leavening:

Easy biscuits: Self rising flour, with heavy cream mixed in until it forms a good, stiff batter.

Self rising flour has baking powder and salt already mixed in.

Bake as usual.

I'm in the middle of trying to make this below, but the dough is so far extremely runny, does anyone know what's happening with this?

New Threads

Top Bottom