• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can Autistics be writers?

Can someone who's autistic be a fiction and fantasy writer?

• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ame568

Someone told me before that I can't be autistic because I write stories which are mainly fantasy and fiction and it's been messing with me ever since. I've also been trying to find examples of fiction and fantasy authors but I can't find any of books by autistic authors only characters that are autistic coded and such.

I write stories, though non-fiction (they're memoirs about my life). It's hard to think of fiction that hasn't already been done, but I can make up characters, especially families.

I think the hardest thing about writing a fictional story is the logical part, as readers (and viewers of movies) often pick up on plot holes if they're not 100% logical. For example if you wanted to write a story about people stranded on an island, you have to think of how they got there, which can sometimes be hard even when searching on Google for ideas. Or if you wanted to write a story about the second world war, you have to read up about it before you can write a story about it what makes sense.

Someone told me before that I can't be autistic because I write stories which are mainly fantasy and fiction and it's been messing with me ever since. I've also been trying to find examples of fiction and fantasy authors but I can't find any of books by autistic authors only characters that are autistic coded and such.
That is odd.

I was under the impression that fantasy and sci fi writers had a general tendency to be Autistic.

I myself mainly write fiction and poetry and prose. It will possibly be a decade or more when I write nonfiction.

Autistics would make good non fiction writers. I don't know anything about fiction I don't read it much, but I voted yes because it includes fantasy

Yes. Although I'd imagine the storyline is much more plot device focused than character / relationship focused.

I have written historical fiction before. It has never been published but I did get my first book copywrited. The few people who have read said it was good writing.

I have difficulties explaining things in too much detail, so my stories are more based on the drama and emotions than describing a scene or an object.

I published 5 novels a novellette, and 2 short stories all before learning I was autistic. I draw on my own traits and life experiences for the stories. As a result, all my main characters at least are pretty much autistic

Short answer: hell freaking yeah you can be a writer if you're autistic! Just look at some of my own posts, you'll see what I mean, tomodachi-sama

I am autistic, I am a writer

I argue that we are better writers as the deity we possess is second to none. Our own unique viewpoints, experiences, emotions, make it better

As a teenager, I came up with superheroes and their origin stories were quite precise, but I had no capacity to write the social interactions between non-combatants (like Marvel is known for).

Real people are imperfect, but I could not conscientiously assign such traits, particularly to my protagonists. I am thinking how Iron Man/Tony Stark is a womanizer. It might add depth to his character, but I would feel dirty writing such. I also feel dirty when writing a menacing villain, especially when there is murder involved.

Last edited:
I accept that the overwhelming expression in this thread relates to fiction. Just wanted to add a non-fictional counterpoint. I had over 140 academic publications before I knew I was autistic.

So are we talking autism is antithetical to imagination? Creativity in application to real world problems does not involve imagination. Persuasive writing in reality-based situations is something less than in imaginary situations?

I have never tried non fiction bc i thought i was not imaginative enough. I have some characters and stories in my head that i want to write about though

Over the years I've created and drawn plenty of my own cartoon characters and made my own homemade comics and written stories about them. I'll never be a real paid writer or a cartoonist, though. How can I when I can barely cope with normal everyday life?:(

I’ve had published a bit on nonfiction. I don’t believe I could write fiction, but I can’t see why others couldn’t.

New Threads

Top Bottom