• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cancelled T.V. shows that screwed the fans over the worse ?

Some more recent ones:

Almost Human

Beware the Batman

Young Justice

Green Lantern: The Animated Series

ThunderCats
(2011 series)

The Cape

Sym-Bionic Titan

Last edited:
I don't think I can say I've seen many cancelled shows that fans over with their (none) endings. Alphas ended on a big cliff hanger so I guess that's the worst for me. Dollhouse had an ending but the cancellation made it rushed and it was a real slap in the face.

Cancelled shows that hit me hardest are Heroes, Happy Endings and Glory Daze. Heroes is coming back next year but it's said to be self contained so who knows if we'll get any real closure on the original show.

Community would have been on the list too if I didn't think season 5 was mostly pretty bad. Some episodes were so bad that I was happy when it was cancelled. At the same time I was still very happy when I read Yahoo are bringing it back, but if one Sony sitcom were to be given a second life I would have preferred Happy Endings.

After watching the animated atrocities videos on Youtube, I think Spongebob Square-pants deserves a cancellation from what I saw. I stopped watching the show after the movies came out but from what I've heard and seen, it's now more disturbing and dark as well as cruelly humorous because the writers are stupid and mediocre :|

Definitely somewhat miffed about "Carnivale" being binned. I really wonder what criteria these tv network executives use to decide whether a series is successful. Maybe I was naive to think that the thoughts and wishes of those who watched it actually counted for anything :)

What bothers me about this is, that they knew it would be a 6 season show. It's based on books (I believe 3 of them; where each 2 seasons cover 1 book).

If you're going to use source material like that, at least be aware that there's a bit of an obligation to not cancel it halfway. Perhaps just don't start at all then.

But yeah, I am wondering what standards they have, especially considering the type of show they were producing. It wasn't really a prime time show so to speak. The style only catered to a select audience I think, the story wasn't that mainstream. So all in all, they could've kinda known it would not be a success from the start.

For me, it was CSI: New York, which was probably the best of the CSI canon. It was the best, in my opinion, because it had a strong main character played by Gary Sinise, who made his reputation as the founder of the Steppenwolf Theater Company in Chicago, which was critically acclaimed in the Chicago newspapers (which is rare, since the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times critics never agreed on anything).

Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

What bothers me about this is, that they knew it would be a 6 season show. It's based on books (I believe 3 of them; where each 2 seasons cover 1 book).

If you're going to use source material like that, at least be aware that there's a bit of an obligation to not cancel it halfway. Perhaps just don't start at all then.

But yeah, I am wondering what standards they have, especially considering the type of show they were producing. It wasn't really a prime time show so to speak. The style only catered to a select audience I think, the story wasn't that mainstream. So all in all, they could've kinda known it would not be a success from the start.

I'm not sure what country you're from, but here in the States, everything in broadcasting is based on ratings, either by A.C. Nelson and/or Arbitron. Remember, nobody went bankrupt underestimating the stupidity of the American public. Some of the stupidest shows ever produced (Gilligan's Island, for example), were ratings blockbusters. Other shows, like Cop Rock, while critically acclaimed, and was well produced and directed with good scripts, never made it past the fall ratings sweeps. Remember, in US broadcasting, air time is a commodity. The higher a show is rated, the more money you can charge an advertiser for a 30 second or 60 second commercial.

I'm not sure what country you're from, but here in the States, everything in broadcasting is based on ratings, either by A.C. Nelson and/or Arbitron. Remember, nobody went bankrupt underestimating the stupidity of the American public. Some of the stupidest shows ever produced (Gilligan's Island, for example), were ratings blockbusters. Other shows, like Cop Rock, while critically acclaimed, and was well produced and directed with good scripts, never made it past the fall ratings sweeps. Remember, in US broadcasting, air time is a commodity. The higher a show is rated, the more money you can charge an advertiser for a 30 second or 60 second commercial.

I think ratings are used all over the globe, regardless on where you're from. The same goes for dutch television.

However, with the show my complaint was about; I think it was a no brainer that it wouldn't a big success. Said show would only cater to a small group from the start. If they had no clue about this, then I really wonder about the ones in charge.

However, with the show my complaint was about; I think it was a no brainer that it wouldn't a big success. Said show would only cater to a small group from the start. If they had no clue about this, then I really wonder about the ones in charge.
They were probably counting on fans of the book series as well as people from the general audience watching it. There are a lot of things that were only expected to get a small audience that became surprise hits. All the network has to do is hope the viewing figures justify the budget. They don't really care about it much more than that. You take a risk (in this example a potential six season franchise to make a load of money) and if it doesn't work you cancel it before advertisers jump ship and still make some profit. Unless it was a complete disaster and they actually make a loss or break even at best, but the budget would have to be stupidly large for a first season show.

I'm STILL waiting for the next "Firefly" movie. I'd think there's be money there. And a way to bring "Wash" back from the dead. :cool:

I'm STILL waiting for the next "Firefly" movie. I'd think there's be money there. And a way to bring "Wash" back from the dead. :cool:

SPOILER ALERT!! ;):tonguewink:

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen … and that makes me sad. It actually took a fan uprising to get Serenity, so I'm glad we at least have that.

SPOILER ALERT!! ;):tonguewink:

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen … and that makes me sad. It actually took a fan uprising to get Serenity, so I'm glad we at least have that.

Doesn't surprise me. I suspect Nathan Fillion has professionally long since moved on. But I still won't watch his show "Castle"...and Adam Baldwin has a new tv gig "The Last Ship".

Doesn't surprise me. I suspect Nathan Fillion has professionally long since moved on. But I still won't watch his show "Castle"...and Adam Baldwin has a new tv gig "The Last Ship".

I've only seen a few episodes of Castle … it's fun, but doesn't keep my interest. However, you might enjoy searching YouTube for "Firefly references in Castle" … I've seen at least a dozen, and they're a riot. My favorite is his Halloween costume. Nathan Fillion clearly still loves Firefly dearly, but it was a magical moment in time that can't be recaptured.

I've only seen a few episodes of Castle … it's fun, but doesn't keep my interest. However, you might enjoy searching YouTube for "Firefly references in Castle" … I've seen at least a dozen, and they're a riot. My favorite is his Halloween costume. Nathan Fillion clearly still loves Firefly dearly, but it was a magical moment in time that can't be recaptured.

Sounds funny. I still crack up over gambler/gunfighter Bret Maverick (Mel Gibson) being held up by a robber (Danny Glover) where they have that odd moment of "Do I know you?" :D

New Threads

Top Bottom