• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Childhood.

When i was six I was given a children's book about knots and how to tie them--it showed you step by step instructions for tying a maritime knot, horse halter knot, bow ties etc. I was so obsessed with the activity of learning to tie knots and spent inordinate time practicing. . When people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd say a knot maker. People would look at me weirdly, thinking I was totally cute and weird at the same time. That's the first time I ever noticed that people saw me as weird or different. It was so cool to love knots and it was such a beautiful peaceful thing to try to learn to tie them. What were your obsessions as a child.
That would come in handy if you were in the Scouts.

My first obsession was science. Pretty much carried me up to high school when I realized I was never going to be able to do the math. I tried but anything past advanced algebra became numbers and figures swimming on paper. Up to that point, I was fine. It could have been autistic burnout because all my academics took a serious nose dive in high school. Didn't stop me from a 760 math and a 790 verbal on the SAT, but still almost didn't graduate.

The next childhood obsession I took up was photography but that faded into hobby status by the age of 22. Again, I could see that I was never going to be a commercial photographer and portraits/weddings were driving me nuts.

Running around naked was... wouldn't call it an obsession, but it was always on my mind in the spring and summer. It goes back as far as my reliable memory. (Being extremely rural, I had the chance to safely indulge it.) Except for some teenage skinny dipping, it was a solo activity until I was off to college and figure modeling became an option. Then I moved to SoCal and there were lots of nudies and nude tolerant people you could coexist with. That interest has never gone away.

Also got really heavy into wargaming on boards and tabletops and FRPing. That only lasted a few years though and evaporated.

I forgot to mention, we weren't allowed to watch TV, which l kinda think that was a good idea. However, l would run to my elementary school friend's house who's mother always put on Dark Shadows, and we would hunker down for that show, plus she had Barbies with the cutest little shoes, l felt like l was in an alternate universe and landed in heaven when l went to her house. That Barnabas Collins was such a goth character at that time. That's probably why l dated bad boys, l guess l have to blame it him. :)

Attachments

• 1721911983382.png
    1721911983382.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
I loved Dark Shadows! I could only watch it in the summer because I could not reliably get home from school on time.
My mother went to work when my youngest sister started school. She arranged for a neighbor to watch us after school till she got home. The neighbor was much older than my parents, but she was hooked on Dark Shadows, so we got to watch that when we got to her house after school.

I forgot to mention, we weren't allowed to watch TV, which l kinda think that was a good idea. However, l would run to my elementary school friend's house who's mother always put on Dark Shadows, and we would hunker down for that show, plus she had Barbies with the cutest little shoes, l felt like l was in an alternate universe and landed in heaven when l went to her house. That Barnabas Collins was such a goth character at that time. That's probably why l dated bad boys, l guess l have to blame it him. :)

Based on that conclusion then I should probably date Tom, Jerry or the Powerpuff Girls.

I went to my neighbors houses to watch these lol and one of the neighbors was a boy and he'd be like I'll pretend to be Buttercup because she has short hair and is boyish. I honestly couldn't choose so I'd switch between the other two but I liked all 3 equally much. Great cartoon!

I don't wanna marry Tom and Jerry. 🤣

Based on that conclusion then I should probably date Tom, Jerry or the Powerpuff Girls.

I went to my neighbors houses to watch these lol and one of the neighbors was a boy and he'd be like I'll pretend to be Buttercup because she has short hair and is boyish. I honestly couldn't choose so I'd switch between the other two but I liked all 3 equally much. Great cartoon!

I don't wanna marry Tom and Jerry. 🤣
The whole family loved the Powerpuff Girls.

When i was six I was given a children's book about knots and how to tie them--it showed you step by step instructions for tying a maritime knot, horse halter knot, bow ties etc. I was so obsessed with the activity of learning to tie knots and spent inordinate time practicing. . When people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd say a knot maker. People would look at me weirdly, thinking I was totally cute and weird at the same time. That's the first time I ever noticed that people saw me as weird or different. It was so cool to love knots and it was such a beautiful peaceful thing to try to learn to tie them. What were your obsessions as a child.

Knot tying was a big part of my life for a long time. I am curious which ones you know and if you know a Thief knot, there's a real purpose for it. I taught Dawn Riley the Buntline hitch. One of the most famous sailors in history but she did not know it and wanted me to show her. She was nice.

Constrictor knots are amazing and I try to show them to people. I thought learning a Matthew Walker would be hard but I was a little disappointed when I saw it was simple. It took me months to learn to tie a Star knot. That was bloody hard. I never got it perfect but I made hundreds.

The Icicle hitch is one I know but doubt it works. I have tried it, even modified with extra turns on tapered things and it does not hold. That is supposed to be its specialty.

I like specialty knots, like the Vice Versa. I have never needed it but if I ever do I will be glad I still practice it. For tying two slippery lines together.

The Carrick bend is amazing, astonishing in what it can do and also simple to make. People like watching it form up on that last part (one of the "exploding knots"). But add an extra tuck from under with the ends and you have a Lanyard knot. The person who taught me that knot did not explain it was simply that. Maybe she did not understand it well enough herself.

Combine a Clove hitch with a Bowline and wow, won't loose itself but also resists a sideways pull. I think of it when I watch The Guns of the Navarone. Lots of bad knot use in movies, hard to see them do those things.

The bowline is what everyone should learn. I use it constantly but never really liked it. It has no style or class. Not special just totally dependable and can be used for nearly anything. It is fun learning to tie it different ways.

I learned the Mooring hitch and because I was sailing dinghies a lot, I used it several times and it worked perfect. A bit hard to learn to tie it just right though but then it does work.

I use a slipped Clove hitch on my laundry lines. I guess I would pick the Clove hitch if I had to pick a favorite knot. It is not like a friend, I feel that way about some knots, but it is so perfectly handy.

I thought I had tensioning all figured out when I learned a Rolling hitch. Used it for years then I learned the Taught-line hitch, a variation and wow is it better for keeping a line tight. Speaking of that I did love showing people how they could tie off a line, use it to form a Rolling hitch on another line that was tied tight, supporting a load, the untie that line and all the tension was still there because of the line tied to it with the Rolling hitch, like magic 🙂.

A cowboy taught me a trick for making a series of overhand knots in a long rope. Like the kind in the movies they like to drop down and you see all those evenly space knots going on and on for grip. No way to tie them one at a time, it would be took hard I think but do it the cowboy way and wow it is fast. A park ranger I worked with love it and always asked me to do it again. Nice memory.

Figure eight. Most people do not know to take the slack out and leave it half-formed. Whip around a little and it looses itself. The knot has to be flattened.

The Knute hitch. Neat. I actually met in person Brion Toss, the inventor. Nice man but he talked like everyone understood things how he did so sitting in a room of other people who knew what they were doing, we all learned nothing from the seminar. Over our heads (expression).

I have a piece of 550 or 750 paracord in the front pocket of every pair of pants I have so just in case I put them on, I will not go out without something to tie with.

Ever use crossing knots to bind a package? Wonderful knot to know. Marline hitches, different of course from the Marlinspike hitch which I also used and loved to teach. I taught it once to a summer intern trying to do fancywork on boat railings at the marina. She was very happy how it helped it. She used a sideways screwdriver instead of a marlinspike.

It is an obsession and knots feel like my family or best friends so I could keep writing but very long posts are not usually good for people. Easy to keep talking about knots 🙂

New Threads

Top Bottom