• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did anyone watch movie " Adam"?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
A person that I know has just advised me to watch the movie ("Adam"). She saw "Aspergers" in my "interests" list (Facebook) and thought that I might Like to watch it. She doesn't know that I have Aspergers. I just watched a trailer, was a little disappointed. How much more stereotypical can it get but then again not everyone is like me, right?:) people would probably never guess that I have Aspergers just by looking at me... Anyway, did anyone watch it? What do you think of it? Did you like it? ... Or it's going to be my 3rd unanswered post :twitcy::)

Saw it a few months ago. I thought it was an ok movie. Or so and so. It's a bit on the safe side, and it does get stereotypical, but it's a romantic comedy, so those things shouldn't come as a surprise.
Then I like Mozart and the Whale or Max and Mary a lot better. There's more crazy there. Adam is trying too hard to be normal in a way. I'd say Adam isn't as much about Asperger's as it is about Aspie/NT relationships.

I've just seen "Adam" and surprisingly liked it. It's a little sad though, main caracter reminded me of myself a lot. And I do realize "regular" people do loose patience when dealing with folks on the spectrum but still give us a break! :-)) ... Anyway I guess the movie is not for everyone but I liked it. I watched Mozart and the Whale as well. To me it looked like a movie from 90s. (even though it wasn't) A little depressing. Especially because both of the main caracters reminded me of myself... Not in a good way... Start thinking am I really that pathetic... But then I say to myself: "no I'm way sweeter and cuter" :-))) My concern about Mozart and the whale though... Not very good acting...

I saw it over a month ago, Hugh Dancy's potrayal of an aspie in the movie was all kinda too severely accurate.:geek:

Actually, I thought that it really wasn't all that bad in terms of stereotyping. Not like Rain Man. I mean Rain Man was a start, but it gave a totally wrong impression.

We are so diverse and at so many different places on the spectrum that I think it would be very hard to make a movie that would please everyone. Mozart and the Whale I had some trouble relating to, mainly because I am high functioning and can pretty much blend in with the NT crowd though not always successfully. I would like to see more movies about adults. Even bad ones can be used to get the conversation going. And there are more and more people out there who are interested in our point of view even if it doesn't seem like that sometimes.

I haven't seen this movie, but I recall reading one review (I don't remember who wrote it) that said that the main character was portrayed as "too emotionally pure for a corrupt world" and seemed to be put on earth to show neurotypical people how crude they are. I don't know if the portrayal in the movie is actually that one-dimensional or not, but it makes me a little skeptical about this movie. It might be an ok movie, but it doesn't sound like the protagonist is someone I would readily identify with. I would actually like to see a movie with an aspie protagonist with some rough edges who's not always a very likeable person since that would be someone I could identify with more easily (if anyone ever makes a movie adaptation of the memoir Atypical by Jesse Saperstein, that would fit the bill nicely). Also, I'd like to see an AS-themed movie that uses a bit of humor, maybe something like an Office Space-style comedy about an aspie character trying to deal with a miserable office job (maybe it could be kind of a bleak comedy that used special effects and camera tricks like something out of a Darren Aronofsky film to depict the sensory nightmare that the character has to deal with every day at work).

Of course, there are some movies featuring characters who are never explicitly identified as aspies but could be interpreted that way. One recent example that comes to mind is Joel and Ethan Coen's A Serious Man, in which the protagonist's brother seems a little aspie-like. One example that Jesse Saperstein gives in Atypical of a movie featuring an aspie-like main character is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Also, I think some people saw the fictionalized Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network as a bit aspergian.

If nothing else, I think the soundtrack of the movie did a good job of expressing an aspie-like obsessiveness.

I thought Mary and Max was a pretty good movie, but I just hope that people who watch it don't come away from it thinking that the lives of all people on the spectrum are that grim (I couldn't help but think what a shame it was that Max missed out on the internet and forums like Aspies Central!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched the trailers for Adam and Mozart and the Whale. But to be fair, exaggeration is expected in movies like that, I would think. Also someone who isn't overtly likeable may give the wrong impression to those who don't understand AS well. But they're just movies, regardless. I wasn't offended by any of them or thought they seemed completely off. I did identify with some details, but I think many others were just written out for a NT audience. Then again, I haven't seen the movies in full, either.

I don't know if I'll watch them. Perhaps out of curiousity later (if they're free), but I'm not exactly a fan of romantic comedies, to be honest.

As far as Rain Man goes, it was based on rare case as it was, of a specific Autistic Savant (Kim Peek, who I think may have not even been Autistic from what I recall). I don't think the movie gave any specific impression that was "typical"- but uneducated people of course may have made their share of assumptions and generalizations.

New Threads

Top Bottom