• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you find cosmetic surgery disturbing?

Do you find elective cosmetic surgery disturbing?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Depends (please specify)

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
When I was a kid, it was only rich and famous people who normally got such surgery. And they seemed to be addicted to it. I never understood why anyone could get addicted to cosmetic surgery. I mean, it's surgery. Blood, pain, needles, stitches. It's not like getting a haircut, that's for sure. Blame society, I guess. Pressures put on people to look superficially perfect, which can lead to body dysmorphic disorder.

Please pardon this rant. It is not about medically necessary or helpful procedures, this is strictly about vanity procedures. I view unnatural changes to appearance the same way I see defacing a masterpiece as a crime.

I have always found cosmetic surgery to be disturbing. I find the unnatural appearance unsettling.
Lip injections in particular are so creepy looking to me. They are so common where I live. I feel angry and sad when I see women with lip and face injections. Sad because they ruined their appearance (in my opinion) also sad because they feel it was necessary. I feel angry at whomever suggested the injections, like the suggesting party should probably be punched in the mouth (since they like fat lips lol)
Butt and leg implants just look comical and absurd (in my eyes). Breast implants are another example of destroying a work of art.

I find the majority of natural humans attractive in some way. There is almost always something unique and beautiful about each person out there, man or woman. As a man I tend to look more often at women and appreciate a woman’s natural beauty. It might be an unusual perspective to see women over 40 as being more attractive as they age.

It’s not so much that cosmetic enhancement makes me mad, it’s that it is unsettling and disturbing to view, like an uncanny valley look.

I personally find vanity surgery a reprehensible sin. I'm fully on board with you in believing it's unnecessary. But I also know that women that get sucked into those kinda things, are very insecure about themselves. And in some cases, not great humanbeings to be around to begin with.

I find none of it attractive. It's all artificial to me and it does have a very uncanny look to it.

Vanity is a deadly sin for a reason, after all.

I grew up in a time when it was very popular for men to get tattoos and there was a bit of social pressure that way, but I had the advantage of doing bar work as a second job when I was 18. On Saturday mornings there was always old men in the saloon bar studying their racing form guides and planning what bets they might put on for the day. I got to see what tattoos look like when you get old.
In yet another weird parallel between us, I learned how tattoos spread, and change color almost the same way: 18/19/20, working summers in "Public Bars".

Back then tattoos were much more difficult to remove too. Now it's just as expensive as tattooing and more painful, but at least the methods are reliable.

IMO being exposed early in life to people living the consequences or their decisions and actions from their teenage and young-adult years is very good life-experience.

I also learned that some people genuinely reform from a criminal path; some people are violent by nature (but won't hit a polite bartender); and there are people who live their entire life acting badly towards others, without a shred of remorse.

Overall it was an interesting and positive experience.

My only regret is that I didn't (couldn't) use it to improve my social skills. Back then "ASD" didn't exist, there was no way for me to know that my personal uniqueness (assuming we're actually all different /lol) included a part that fit a specific pattern (ASD).

(When I figured it out, I found the knowledge comforting and useful: the more I understand the nature of my differences, the easier it is to "liver with them".).

(•) Depends (please specify)

[opinion=mine]

Corrective surgery for birth/development defect, injury, illness, or disease does not disturb me at all. In fact, I would encourage it.

Cosmetic surgery to "correct" imaginary defects (i.e., bust size, chin shape, nose shape, et cetera)? At least it is not my money being wasted.

Surgery to add horns, fangs, et cetera, bothers me because mutilating oneself tells me that someone has a serious self-image problem, and that some hack surgeons out there are making money by exploiting such people instead of really helping them. Then again, it is not my money being wasted.

[opinion]

some people are violent by nature (but won't hit a polite bartender);
One Saturday morning there was two old men sitting at one end of the bar, and two old men sitting at the other, and sitting at one of the tables was a young bloke that I'd gone to school with, he was still drinking from the night before and was getting aggressive. Sitting there fuming and glaring at me pounding his fist in to his palm.

After a little while I'd had enough, I slapped both hands down on the bar loudly and bellowed "That's it! No more beer!". The old blokes thought I meant everyone, they got up and grabbed an arm or a leg each and hurled him out the front door. I thanked them and gave them all a free beer.

Last edited:
I think it's disturbing how far some folks take it. Obviously if it's to deal with something from an injury, or deformity or something like that I have no issues with plastic surgery. I was run over by a travel bus as a child and would have much more noticeable scarring had it not been for the work of plastic surgeons.

But the folks with the lip injections and cheek implants, etc they disturb a little. And it's more that I feel bad for them because everything they've done, they've done thinking it will make them look better to everyone else. I'm sure they looked better the way they were born and someone should have told them that sooner. Beauty is born in all shapes and sizes.

Surgery to add horns, fangs, et cetera, bothers me because mutilating oneself tells me that someone has a serious self-image problem, and that some hack surgeons out there are making money by exploiting such people instead of really helping them. Then again, it is not my money being wasted.

[opinion]
I hadn't even thought about that part of it all. That kind of surgery to me really should just be banned in my opinion. Or at the very least only done after a mental health check with the person wanting it is done.

I'm exaggerating and making a joke here, but if there is a waiting period for a person to get a firearm, maybe horns should be like a 30 day think it over period. "Alright Mr. Steven's we'll schedule that Horn-ification treatment, but there's a 30 day review period. We wouldn't want you getting buyers remorse.".

Now there are some that get that type of surgery that are performers and it's likely easier to get the horns permanently attached for a time instead of makeup every day for the show. I'd be curious what folks doing those sort of "Freak" shows do after their performing career. Like do they get the horns removed?

IMO it's too late to look for reasonable, enforceable limits (like requiring the verification of procedures according to the normal rules for "evidence-based medicine", and to be realistically and affordability reversible, and have no significant effect that cannot be reversed).
(BTW I know there are gaps in that list. it's sufficient for its purpose)

So rules are possible.

But there's already "an elephant in the room". And it's being actively defended.

There's no easy way back.

Some of the surgeries aren’t too bad if they are done to help the patient with health problems or restore their previous looks before being severely injured and disfigured. Those cosmetic surgeries I get. I sort of had one to remove this weird growth near the front of my head that left this huge bald spot and it would occasionally swell up and my hair kept falling out in clumps in less than five minutes because of it. I had put up with it for nearly two years and couldn’t handle having a bald spot the size of a quarter on my head when I wasn’t experiencing any form of permanent hair loss.

I find it disturbing that cosmetic procedures have become trendy and you're not "in" if you don't have them. If you don't get even any piercings and tatoos. People can do whatever they want, it's their bodies if it's not hurting themselves. It's the pressure that is disturbing.

I would also class results of some cosmetic procedures as disturbing for the same reasons as posters above - badly done or too many procedures result in a "mask-like" face.

New Threads

Top Bottom