• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else feel like they should just not be on Facebook?

jacinto

Jasoid
I want to delete my account so bad. I have no business whatsoever on social media. I don' t know what I was thinking. I mean, it's social media. A lot of my family has distanced themselves from me because of things I've cheerfully & obliviously posted on it without thinking that are so fascinating to me and, I'm guessing, incredibly tedious to others. Or missing the point entirely. I don't know. And 99% of what I see other people posting seems to be a sort of catalogue of incontrovertible evidence of the trophies & accomplishments life has awarded them.

Do y'all do FB, or anything like that?

I do Facebook. Before I post anything, I show it to my wife and ask, “Is this okay? It’s not offensive?” I try to make sure that everything I post is positive. Well... except when I’m being snarky and posting pictures of professional products or signs with misspelled words on them. But usually, I try very hard to edit everything I post to make it positive, non-insulting, non offensive. I think the worst I do is post geeky humor that no one else gets or thinks is funny.

I have Facebook, but there are very few posts on my page... One reason why I keep Facebook is to keep track of local events in the local music scene, arts scene, events that friends are involved with... Most of my Facebook involvement is within groups, which don't show on my page, and I only watch a few groups closely... Most of my Facebook likes are related to musician friends, artist friends, and local cafes, I don't care about following corporate things...

Last edited:
No Facebook for me either! Have an account but almost never post anything. Good for keeping track of my brother though. His whole life's on FB!

I have Facebook, but there are very few posts on my page... One reason why I keep Facebook is to keep track of local events in the local music scene, arts scene, events that friends are involved with... Most of my Facebook involvement is in groups, but I only watch a few groups closely... Most of my Facebook likes are related to musician friends, artist friends, and local cafes, I don't care about following corporate things...

Yep music and art, music and art! And animals! It's so damn awesome to see the things we all have in common. Sometimes I'm hard on myself, and think maybe there's really no Asperger's and I'm just a messed up person whose found a convenient excuse. And then I see things on here that resonate with me and could very well be my own words and how often does THAT happen? ...and I could straight up burst into tears of...something. Awesome dude. Thanks to all of you that've taken the time to answer this.

Yeah I kinna need to get the hell off of there and hope most of the people that've read my stuff develop Alzheimer's or something. That's not nice, I don't mean that. How about die off? No...

I might add...

I do follow politics... I am political... I do have my own distinct political leanings...

But on social media I do my best to avoid anything political, it's the most divisive aspect of social media... I try to focus on other things that unite humanity, and politics is not one of them! Most of my Facebook contacts are "creative" people and what unites us is an interest in the creative world, especially as my political leanings are generally the opposite of most artists I know

I do Facebook. Before I post anything, I show it to my wife and ask, “Is this okay? It’s not offensive?” I try to make sure that everything I post is positive. Well... except when I’m being snarky and posting pictures of professional products or signs with misspelled words on them. But usually, I try very hard to edit everything I post to make it positive, non-insulting, non offensive. I think the worst I do is post geeky humor that no one else gets or thinks is funny.

Geeky humor...Holy Grail maybe? Life of Brian? Have you ever had to sit through an NT joke? I'm sure you have. You have to FAKE laughter. I don't do it sometimes. Then they want to tell you MORE jokes. Sometimes it can be a game: Ok I get it, I'm stuck here now. Let's see if you can tell a joke and make me laugh.

I do miss following local shows and goofing off but in my experience I couldn't be on there without saying something..

Yeah I know! I just keep trying, I never learn. I think I was very cautious at first, but then some days I would get careless or, God help me, witty, and...I once again find myself wishing there was some kind of psychological eraser I could use to just dial it back a little and repost more sensibly.

I once again find myself wishing there was some kind of psychological eraser I could use to just dial it back a little and repost more sensibly.

I do great (I think) on Facebook, because there is time to pause and edit. In real life, speaking off the cuff, I constantly put my foot in my mouth. It really frustrates me that I am self aware and socially aware enough to realize when I have made a social blunder, but not enough to realize when I am making a social blunder.

Well... I have a love/hate relationship with facebook.
I find it good to follow groups and local events, and I have friends that post interesting things ( hiking, holidays, fauna finding expeditions, weird humour). But I hate that a lot of it is air-brushed selfies and projecting oneself as having the most perfect (fake) life. You will not find any selfies of me on facebook. Most of my photos are of my dog or my latest hike or my last camping weekend.

I don't do much with FB. However, there is a foreign language site where people post opinions on a variety of topics. My posts are generally well-received, but somehow I still feel like I'm out on the margins. I've been shutting down lately and may quit as this social outlet has once again failed to change the fundamental nature of my circumstances! I guess only fellow aspies and people on the spectrum can understand me.

I use Facebook, but I’ve “muted” most of my Facebook friends because I’m not interested in what they generally have to share. I don’t talk about politics or religion on my Facebook. I guess 95% of what I do is posting comics and tagging friends in memes and videos. The remaining 5% is me actually sharing something about my life.

I want to delete my account so bad. I have no business whatsoever on social media. I don' t know what I was thinking. I mean, it's social media. A lot of my family has distanced themselves from me because of things I've cheerfully & obliviously posted on it without thinking that are so fascinating to me and, I'm guessing, incredibly tedious to others. Or missing the point entirely. I don't know. And 99% of what I see other people posting seems to be a sort of catalogue of incontrovertible evidence of the trophies & accomplishments life has awarded them.

Do y'all do FB, or anything like that?
I just share petitions that I've signed but I find it stressful being asked to be a friend to somebody I find it hard enough posting on this forum without using Facebook

There was an old episode of the blame game,

One guy who didnt use social media,was curious and wanted to find out more, he asked :

Are you on my face?

New Threads

Top Bottom