• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does soda or other caffiene drinks give you a bad feeling

Gary DuBois

I try not to drink soda or energy drinks or alcohol anymore now that im 33 years old with mild autism because i get a uneasy feeling sometimes and i stay up longer than i want to sometimes.

Caffeine doesn't bother me much and I genuinely find coffee relaxing, tea even more so.

Tea and coffee are both great (especially tea). I do not drink alcohol and rarely ever drink soft drinks or energy drinks. Energy drinks actually make me sleepy which seems kind of strange.

This is a subjective topic. Everyone handles caffeine differently. Due to my psychosis, and aspects of my ASD(guessing here). I have to full on avoid caffeinated coffee. I only drink decaffeinated coffee.

As far as alcohol. Beer specifically, in my case. Same deal. I am not affected badly by it, unless I drink right before bed. I am a lightweight though.

I try not to drink soda or energy drinks....
It might be the sugar you are reacting to rather than the caffeine. I live in a hot climate and as a small child I was taught to never drink fizzy drinks on hot days because the excess sugar makes you feel hot and tired. So during an Australian summer we don't drink Coke and we don't eat icecream or have anything else too sugary because it makes the heat more unbearable.

I'm a diet coke addict, I like the taste and it helps me relax. I'm aware that it's not exactly healthy and am working on reducing it, though. I can't quit cold turkey due to the caffeine. Last time I did that, I had trouble sleeping for 2 weeks. I'm so used to it that I have no problems going to sleep or sleeping. I don't like coffee (the smell!) or tea, so as of now I really only drink water and diet coke.

I drink caffeine (tea and a little soda*), but conservatively. Too much (or too late) keeps me awake at night.
Energy drinks actually make me sleepy which seems kind of strange.
That is common for ADHD. Ritalin works on the same principle.

*I cannot stand the taste (& aftertaste) of coffee...!
full

I try not to drink soda or energy drinks or alcohol anymore now that im 33 years old with mild autism because i get a uneasy feeling sometimes and i stay up longer than i want to sometimes.

Did you have an easy time quitting? I try to quit all the time and end up with crazy migraines. Honestly I'd love to stop because I tend to overdo it pretty frequently, but even tapering down gives me some of the worst headaches of my life.

Some people like to tell me caffeine isn't much of a drug, but I think they're the ones who haven't tried to quit yet!

Did you have an easy time quitting? I try to quit all the time and end up with crazy migraines. Honestly I'd love to stop because I tend to overdo it pretty frequently, but even tapering down gives me some of the worst headaches of my life.

Some people like to tell me caffeine isn't much of a drug, but I think they're the ones who haven't tried to quit yet!
Wean yourself off gradually, full sugar ,caffeine drinks basically have two addictive drugs in them ,sugar is called a gateway drug and caffeine ,so drink tiny amounts less each day then you won't get withdrawal symptoms

I am allergic to caffeine and don't use sugar or artificial sweetener.

So, pop or energy drinks or alcohol aren't things I use.

Caffeine gives me hives.
The other things mess up my blood sugar. (Pain in head, flashes of light,
shakiness, fainting, numbness....etc)

Used to drink about 1g of caffeine a day before I started ADHD meds. It made me a little jittery but also able to focus. Can't believe how much I used to have. Found out after that 1.2g too quick causes seizures.

For me I always have to regulate my caffeine intake. Otherwise I run the continual risk of getting hooked, where at withdrawal I may have one helluva headache or hangover feeling for about three days.

I enjoy both coffee and tea, but try not to drink them on consecutive days. Seems to keep me from getting hooked. I also avoid sugar-laden soft drinks. (Even though I'll always love Coca-Cola.) Every other day I often drink something like apple cider or hot chocolate, or even just water in warmer weather. But yeah, I prefer a good cup of coffee or tea otherwise!

However "the jury is still out" over drinking non-sugared drinks with aspertame. I've tried to cut back on those as well. Not sure what that stuff is doing to my metabolism.

Last edited:
I absolutely love coffee, the flavour and the hit.

But that leads me to gradually increase my consumption. Then the palpitations and digestive problems start and I have to lay off for a while. Then the cycle repeats.

I find I can drink tea with its lower caffeine content so long as I keep it reasonable.

If I drink too much, I have anxiety. It does increase your heart rate.

If I drink too much, I have anxiety. It does increase your heart rate.
Nice to see you again, Pats. :) Yes, I have to be careful about caffeine all the time! My metabolism has never been particularly fond of stimulants of any kind.

Last edited:
Nice to see you again, Pats. :) Yes, I have to be careful about caffeine all the time! My metabolism has never been particularly fond of stimulants of any kind.
Hi Judge. I'm glad you remembered me. :)

Lifelong tea and coffee drinker, and at times coca cola. I've always liked the feeling. Don't drink or do non-prescription drugs however, except for a time late teens-early 20's. Those feelings I came to dislike. But my family was big on coffee and tea especially so was drinking it from about 10 on. It has a good memory association for me.

Pop with caffeine makes me feel terrible, I suspect it's the pop with caffeine specifically as ginger ale and root beer don't affect me. Neither does tea or other naturally caffeinated beverages

New Threads

Top Bottom