• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dopamine...

I believe that some people are vulnerable to that kind of dopamine addiction, if it can be called an addiction. (Might be more of an induced OCD response.) Others are not so vulnerable. The variation probably depends on some combination of nurture and nature.
I believe this is also what drives bullies, the dopamine hit they get from successfully concluding conflict. A lot of these people are genuine addicts and will go out of their way to create conflict in order to get another hit. Soft targets give them the same hit as winning a real fight, what greatly improves the hit they get is when other people are watching them and showing signs of approval.

The film clip is interesting - factual, and a good explanation of the difference between contentment and happiness. The distinction is not exclusive to ASD people. Each individual person needs to manage their reward system on their own terms. This requires explanation and training when children are in any level of their developmental stages in life. Many of us are sensitive to certain kinds of stimuli and the only real road to happiness is managing it effectively. It requires maturity, and also training in youth. Everyone is personally accountable for their actions. Playing any kind of blame game is an exercise in "not my fault". The hills we climb are steeper for some more than others - it's a hill nonetheless. We are a fairly intelligent group of people due to our brain peculiarities, but we are prone to tricks and traps that leave us confused and unhappy. They can cloud our vision of ourselves and occupy our time with unnecessary issues and trivial thoughts.

The best defense is to learn how to distinguish important from unimportant topics and events that take our focus away from the management of our personal development. This is why consciousness of ASD and what it does to us is paramount to staying on track. There is always a "quick fix" lurking about as we go through life. Don't bite the hook. I'll explain how to identify the hook: It's bright and shiny, it makes promises, it occupies your brain, and it detracts from important issues. It's the devil in disguise, or simply put "the devil himself". We, as bearers of ASD, can't afford the time needed to incorporate everything around us in our lives. We have to be choosy for our own sake. The rat doesn't get fed until he learns the layout of the maze. Do the work, then reap the rewards. It may be a delayed satisfaction, but it is worth more for your self esteem and sense of accomplishment. Those are good neurological activities.

Ye, coffee binge and issue is I really had to limit coffee intake for health reasons, ideal for finishing deadlines, skipping a meal.
Being healthy, I have so much more energy....and alertness, noticing clearly what's happening around me, and considering this before talking.
Coffee was recorded by early Arabs When hunting, it kept them awake and alert

New Threads

Top Bottom