• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dream, Believe and Achieve

i just thought i should make the note that if you are feeling depressed and like you haven't achieved much or anything compared to NT, don't feel that way, we shouldn't hold ourselves to NT standards we are aspies and proud, yes we may achieve comparatively less but we have greater vindication as we did it with much greater challenges and difficulty, we are aspies not NT so we should hold ourselves to aspies standards and compare our achievements with other aspies not with NT.

Ceviche is great and, can be done with a lot of different proteins, just not pork or poultry. :) Some fruits ae gopod with just lime juice too and, alternating slices of scallop and watermelon - Yummy (also 56.00 USD a plate at Morimoto's in L.A.) :p
Hahaha maybe one day I will get a plate from there!

i just thought i should make the note that if you are feeling depressed and like you haven't achieved much or anything compared to NT, don't feel that way, we shouldn't hold ourselves to NT standards we are aspies and proud, yes we may achieve comparatively less but we have greater vindication as we did it with much greater challenges and difficulty, we are aspies not NT so we should hold ourselves to aspies standards and compare our achievements with other aspies not with NT.
I agree but we can excel in our passions far beyond any NT so we are gifted :)

Hm... achievements and other things I've done in life which are fairly positive or awesome... granted, some might be a bit on the more darker note (and might be a bit more of the "do not try this at home kids" variety), though I do consider them all interesting "achievements" in my life nonetheless.

- Well, my first gig ever with a local band, back when I was 18 years old, was in front of a large crowd in my city's concert hall/conference center, counting easily over 1000 people (in clarification, it did help to be scheduled in between a reasonably big name, nationally speaking, and a bigger local act). For the first time on a stage with a crowd (and no live experience whatsoever), I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. Nor did I really fudge up any of the lyrics (given I was the vocalist for the band and in a sense the face, and clearly voice of the band in terms of interacting with the crowd)

- With all the rather violent incidents I've been involved in over the past 5 years or so, including a mugging at knife point, I've managed to hold my own well enough to not get myself injured or worse (can't say the same about people inciting incidents though). I'm confident enough to not chicken out of a confrontation (though I will say, it's not neccesarily that I like physical incidents that much, so I will try to settle it verbally first)

- Back in journalism school I got praise for having the guts to go against the stream with many of my assignments (but apparently having a set of balls and causing controversy was not what said institute liked, so I was awesome enough to decide journalism through education clearly is not for me)

- Sometimes when I'm at bars and clubs and I'm outside with a friend for a chat I joke around and act like I'm the bouncer. Given that I do have the physique for it, people usually believe me and seem to be overly friendly to me. I'm usually chuckling inside, while my friend often pisses himself laughing proverbially.

- Compared to my friends, they're all amazed on how well I can handle substances and the temptation of them. As I've posted in another thread, I have my share of substance... I wouldn't call it abuse, so I'll go with use, yet I know when enough is enough even when said substances are considered to be really addictive things. It's not that I take my chances and hope I don't get hooked on anything... but overall, I consider myself to be a bit more in control about them and feel more like said drugs and I have a mutual understanding when it's ok and when it's crossing a line. Risky behaviour? Meh... probably, but thus far I'm still good. Even bringing it up with therapists has given them a few new perspectives to why people might do drugs and understanding addiction... (at least, that's what they told me)

Quite sure there's more to come eventually to make this thread even more awesome :D
That's the bare faced truth! Too many people think you are only achieving if you get a good job, a house, material possessions. They forget that whilst they are stressing themselves over material things then the things that keep you alive are passing them by. Sounds like you're a fun character to be around.

i was considered gifted as a child, i was in the top 1 percentile of children in the southern hemisphere academically.

i survived in an environment of extreme violence through my childhood and teens where many of my peers did not.

i dropped out of highschool early on but have managed to educate myself to a point where i can hold my own comfortably in most intellectual areas

i survived a motorcycle crash which should have killed me but instead left me with a head injury, chronic pain, depression and some problems with my memory but it's better than not surviving

i survived a murder attempt, being attacked with a machete which split my head open and was very lucky not to die, i am very proud of how i handled the situation. if i had not done what i did i would definitely be dead.

i worked for an addiction center for many years where i was privileged to share in peoples journey towards recovery which let me share an authenticity with people that was simply incredible and led to some of the most special, inspiring and enriching moments of my life.

most importantly i have achieved a sense of belonging which i believed was completely impossible before joining this site and getting to know some of the amazing people here.

i was considered gifted as a child, i was in the top 1 percentile of children in the southern hemisphere academically.

i survived in an environment of extreme violence through my childhood and teens where many of my peers did not.

i dropped out of highschool early on but have managed to educate myself to a point where i can hold my own comfortably in most intellectual areas

i survived a motorcycle crash which should have killed me but instead left me with a head injury, chronic pain, depression and some problems with my memory but it's better than not surviving

i survived a murder attempt, being attacked with a machete which split my head open and was very lucky not to die, i am very proud of how i handled the situation. if i had not done what i did i would definitely be dead.

i worked for an addiction center for many years where i was privileged to share in peoples journey towards recovery which let me share an authenticity with people that was simply incredible and led to some of the most special, inspiring and enriching moments of my life.

most importantly i have achieved a sense of belonging which i believed was completely impossible before joining this site and getting to know some of the amazing people here.
So sad to hear yet beautiful that you're still here to share your story. Keep on pushing through :)

I haven't achieved as much as I would have liked to in life, but I did manage to learn 4 foreign languages fluently, plus another 3 to a more basic level, perhaps more to come, who knows?

I haven't achieved as much as I would have liked to in life, but I did manage to learn 4 foreign languages fluently, plus another 3 to a more basic level, perhaps more to come, who knows?
that's really impressive, I've always found learning other languages impossible, very few people have achieved that so you should be proud, what languages out of curiosity?

In the last 15 months, I've been diagnosed with both ADHD and autism spectrum disorder. For over 40 years, I went undiagnosed. I've held a variety of jobs, with few periods of extended unemployment, maintained a close group of friends and rented the same flat/apartment for over 15 years.

Ok, so I've been introduced to the medical word "comorbidity". I am not going to use these diagnoses as an excuse for my behaviour. But I am turning it onto a plan of action.

In the last 15 months, I've been diagnosed with both ADHD and autism spectrum disorder. For over 40 years, I went undiagnosed. I've held a variety of jobs, with few periods of extended unemployment, maintained a close group of friends and rented the same flat/apartment for over 15 years.

Ok, so I've been introduced to the medical word "comorbidity". I am not going to use these diagnoses as an excuse for my behaviour. But I am turning it onto a plan of action.
good luck with your plan of action hope all goes well

Good plan Sir the healing process can only be done when things are brought to the surface. Now you've got your diagnosis you can manage the future :)

Good plan Sir the healing process can only be done when things are brought to the surface. Now you've got your diagnosis you can manage the future :)

Thanks and well said !

The diagnosis provides an explanation and opportunity to get specific help, whenever I need it.

that's really impressive, I've always found learning other languages impossible, very few people have achieved that so you should be proud, what languages out of curiosity?
I speak English (native tongue), Greek, German, Romanian fluently now, and I used to speak French fluently too, but I haven't spoken it for a long while so now it's a bit rusty. I have also studied Italian and Spanish to about GCSE level, and I know a smattering of Polish and Russian but not very much.

I speak English (native tongue), Greek, German, Romanian fluently now, and I used to speak French fluently too, but I haven't spoken it for a long while so now it's a bit rusty. I have also studied Italian and Spanish to about GCSE level, and I know a smattering of Polish and Russian but not very much.

I wish I could that's a gift that my friend!

I'm impressed, I have GCSE German (B grade) but not used it for 17 years and now know very little. How do you remember all these languages? Do you ever find yourself mixing them up?

I'm refreshing the German from my GCSE as I also forgot it. I use Duolingo, which is free. It's best to learn one at a time if they're similar though, at least what I've found.

New Threads

Top Bottom