• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dream job survey!

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
What is your dream occupation?

For me, I would love to be a celebrity film critic, on the level of Roger Ebert, going to film festivals and seeing everything that comes out and getting paid big dollars to do it.

For me, I would love to be a celebrity film critic, on the level of Roger Ebert, going to film festivals and seeing everything that comes out and getting paid big dollars to do it.

I suspect you wouldn't have meshed well with Gene Siskel. ;)

Theoretical physicist, found out years later very few positions available. Made for a great hobby in the mean time.

That's a hard one for me because I am so bad at jobs and so good at getting fired from them. I've checked out during my years being a barista, a preschool teacher, a researcher, a (get this) granola factory worker and on and on. Very briefly, I herded sheep. All of them evaporated as jobs despite my best efforts, mostly fo social reasons, and now to be honest my dream job would involve weeding and gardening and planting vegetables. As a kid I went around saying I wanted to be a punk rocker when I grew up. No wonder I didn't have friends.

The Great Australian Dream was always to not have to work.

I've been living the dream since 2008.

Botanist, geologist, meteorologist, ect. or perhaps a scientific photographer in one of those fields or a laboratory technician in a water and/or soil laboratory - I have also considered designing greeting cards or doing video editing for one of the Christian film production studios.

Would have once liked to work here...as an analyst.

Main Entrance.jpg

Not far from where I once lived. A long, long time ago....in a galaxy far, far away.

Botanist, geologist, meteorologist, ect. or perhaps a scientific photographer in one of those fields or a laboratory technician in a water and/or soil laboratory - I have also considered designing greeting cards or doing video editing for one of the Christian film production studios.
I worked in lab my whole career usually alone, nobody bothered me just hacked around I guess they could tell I was different. I would get ideas then found courses that could support the idea, fixed issues recommended changes which almost always worked.

For myself it's now to eventually work in mental health with addicts and in particular a focus on those addicts that are neurodivergent, both autistic and the rest. I've started looking into options to complete an unfinished Bachelor degree shifting the focus to psychology, with the eventual goal of a Masters in Counseling Psychology. Thankfully today unlike 20 years ago there's some very good, and credible, distance ed/online options. In the meantime I've also started a free Intro Psych online course put on by Yale through Coursera just to get myself back into the study mindset as I graduated college 14 years ago and haven't touched the books in a serious way since apart from particular focused things for work. It's going to be a big shift from working as an engineering technologist dealing with municipal infrastructure/IT to working with people in the mental health field but I feel like it's the change I need long term even if I likely won't start until my late 40's.

And the goal probably makes more sense if I add that I'm an alcoholic with 9 months of recovery and I'm a little over a month out of a long term rehab program. Seeing the work they do and the growth both myself and others there achieved was both inspirational and transformative.

I'd like to have been a successor to Alex Issigonis, designer of the Austin Mini, but with more freedom to initiate projects.

A couple actually.

One I discovered several year's ago. Book keeper/ accounting. I am so bad with math, it never accured to me that I had shown an apptitude; but it just stayed in my subconscious.

Dressing people to match their skin and body shape.

I had my dream job - - Exploration Geologist/Geophysicist. I did pure exploration, mineral deposit mapping, geothermal, environmental, water, even a couple treasure huts. Most places were interesting. I was always at the top of the list for difficult or exotic jobs because I had the reputation for solving problems and keeping things going under almost any conditions. Then, after a particularly stressful and demanding job, I was thoroughly burned out. Fighting malaria didn't help. They decided I was not useful any more and "let me go." I was only three months short of being fully vested in the retirement plan. Ever since then, I have been unable to get decent work. I interview poorly.

New Threads

Top Bottom