• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ever Have to Deal with Office Politics?

Beguiling Orbit

Neurotribe Champion
V.I.P Member
There's an old saying, When you're up to your *ss in alligators, it's easy to forget that the initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Well, today I've been surrounded by alligators, namely, a co-worker who takes it upon herself to meddle in everyone else's job instead of doing her own job — that and all the associated havoc that she has wreaked.

I have spent most of today recruiting other employees who have been affected to my cause, had private meetings with them and have come to an understanding with them about exactly how this woman is meddling and how to put a stop to it. Later today I, and another co-worker, will have to present our findings to our boss. And I have to do all of this while wanting to run as far away as possible so that I can somehow perform my regular job duties. Needless to say, all this is causing me to burn up mental energy at an extremely high rate.

Not even sure what my question is other than this: What tactics do you employ when confronted with these types of energy-sapping situations to conserve as much as possible so that you can last the entire day without having a meltdown? Right now, all I can think of is sitting at my desk and stimming (I close my office door and just rock back and forth in my chair).

I employ a strategy I've used since my school days that I call "Efficient and Effective Use of Human Resources".

The premise is simple: seize a position of leadership, then delegate ALL of the work to others, leaving you with no work to do yet as the bowse you'll still get the credit.

In your situation, I'd probably take the most fired-up recruit that you've shanghaid and sort of make them your "Lieutenant". Ingratiate them to you, and let them know you couldn't possibly do this task without their help. Then, you can just tell him/her what to do, and watch your minion go about your tasks.

Yes, the disadvantage to EEUHR is that you lose some measure of control over the situation, in a sort of "if you want it done right do it yourself" kind of way, but it's much less stressful to basically be a middleman. I don't know what everyone's complaining about, office politics is one of my favorite games.

I employ a strategy I've used since my school days that I call "Efficient and Effective Use of Human Resources".

The premise is simple: seize a position of leadership, then delegate ALL of the work to others, leaving you with no work to do yet as the bowse you'll still get the credit.

In your situation, I'd probably take the most fired-up recruit that you've shanghaid and sort of make them your "Lieutenant". Ingratiate them to you, and let them know you couldn't possibly do this task without their help. Then, you can just tell him/her what to do, and watch your minion go about your tasks.

Yes, the disadvantage to EEUHR is that you lose some measure of control over the situation, in a sort of "if you want it done right do it yourself" kind of way, but it's much less stressful to basically be a middleman. I don't know what everyone's complaining about, office politics is one of my favorite games.
Your strategy is well beyond me, @Gritches. Reading it, I feel like a checkers player who has entered a chess tournament.

I've experienced it. My advice is to do your own thing and not get caught up in it. You're there to work, not to get caught up in the politics of your office.

I've experienced it. My advice is to do your own thing and not get caught up in it. You're there to work, not to get caught up in the politics of your office.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. In this case, however, what this woman is doing is directly affecting my job.

I've been in this situation before and you're already doing the hard part, which is trying to resolve the situation, so remember you're doing the right thing even when you're down or feeling like you're making a big deal over nothing. Stimming in your office is actually a good idea, as is any other kind of self care you like or need to do. Also, try and treat yourself to something. Get a thing you've been wanting for a while, or spend a good chunk of time on your special interest, or take yourself out for a good meal. Sometimes if you can't decrease the stress you have to increase the positive experiences, whatever those may be for you. I hope your situation works out!

It sounds to me like you handled it very well. If you are having an issue, then your colleagues are probably haing the issue to, so talking to them was a good idea. It's good that you are going with a co-worker to the boss, as it is easier if they can speak and support you while talking to the boss.

New Threads

Top Bottom