• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Existential Nihilism; the solution to all of our problems

StirnersRevenge

I have been greatly influenced by the work of max Stirner, who as some of you may know, was karl Marx's arch nemesis, in fact they even knew each other and were both members of Die Freen, Marx even went out of his way to memorialise hishatred of Max stirner in the roughly 150 pages he devoted to him in "The German Ideology."

In any case, Stirners thesis is that basically Society is a spook, and Morality is a spook, and so is God and the State- all spooks. So what is not a spook? according to Stirner, just Stirner, according to Martin Heidegger however, itsthat were all going to be dead soon, which is pretty neat as it negates all social norms.

Great, but even these guys are happier then you.

merry-go-round-exciting.gif

Nihilism is interesting. It is born from a very simple misunderstanding of value.

tl;dr: Things matter because you care so nihilism doesn't function.

Society, morality, religion, community, achievement, etc. None of what is commonly regarded as a value is actually inherently valuable. This creates the supposed revelation: "Ah! So nothing must matter!". This is a mistake. The value in these concepts resides in how they relate to what value actually refers to: Your capacity to experience harm. All value judgments are made from a selfishly-oriented position in relation to how it affects your capacity to experience harm. So all of these things do matter when they have such an effect.

You can confirm this for yourself. Every time you make any conscious decision, you are doing so with the express purpose of maximizing a tight balance between mitigation and prevention of harm. You do this while trapped within a web of complex and often contradictory need which is imposed on you by foreign chemistry that the consciousness mistakes to be itself. That's a mouthful, but it needs to be stated in full for clarity.

It is because of this that the only peace found in a belief of nihilism is contradictory as you will only hold this belief when it provides you with value. A way to make sense of or cope with our confusing and callous world is the most prominent motivation to accept any belief.

Nihilism is interesting. It is born from a very simple misunderstanding of value.

tl;dr: Things matter because you care so nihilism doesn't function.

Society, morality, religion, community, achievement, etc. None of what is commonly regarded as a value is actually inherently valuable. This creates the supposed revelation: "Ah! So nothing must matter!". This is a mistake. The value in these concepts resides in how they relate to what value actually refers to: Your capacity to experience harm. All value judgments are made from a selfishly-oriented position in relation to how it affects your capacity to experience harm. So all of these things do matter when they have such an effect.

You can confirm this for yourself. Every time you make any conscious decision, you are doing so with the express purpose of maximizing a tight balance between mitigation and prevention of harm. You do this while trapped within a web of complex and often contradictory need which is imposed on you by foreign chemistry that the consciousness mistakes to be itself. That's a mouthful, but it needs to be stated in full for clarity.

It is because of this that the only peace found in a belief of nihilism is contradictory as you will only hold this belief when it provides you with value. A way to make sense of or cope with our confusing and callous world is the most prominent motivation to accept any belief.

Well thats the point, butitall relies on a general devaluation of beliefs.

Glad I could connect you with these, @Fino - they're very good, and the fellow who draws them does a new one every Monday.
I’m so glad you shared this. I laughed out loud. I bookmarked the page, and I shamelessly shared the comic with some of my philosophy-minded friends. I would call this an absolute win.

That's great, @Bolletje. The best things tend to come through word-of-mouth/people you know. My husband put me onto this - love it too. You can look it up by philosopher, by concept, randomly, chronologically, etc. It's the best thing I found since Gary Larson's cartoons as a university student. The writer has a Patron somewhere if people want to support his work.

If you're interested in something more serious and lovely, and you've not read Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series yet, let me recommend it to you too. I only read that in the last three months and it's been out for decades. It's about seven siblings called The Endless, who are anthropomorphic personifications - Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, and Delirium - and their dealings in the world. Death is a she and the most relatable literary character I've met in years, and she's nothing like the Grim Reaper. :)

Great art too, and lots to make you think. Also highly therapeutic, if you have to grapple with anything existential.

That's great, @Bolletje. The best things tend to come through word-of-mouth/people you know. My husband put me onto this - love it too. You can look it up by philosopher, by concept, randomly, chronologically, etc. It's the best thing I found since Gary Larson's cartoons as a university student. The writer has a Patron somewhere if people want to support his work.

If you're interested in something more serious and lovely, and you've not read Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series yet, let me recommend it to you too. I only read that in the last three months and it's been out for decades. It's about seven siblings called The Endless, who are anthropomorphic personifications - Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, and Delirium - and their dealings in the world. Death is a she and the most relatable literary character I've met in years, and she's nothing like the Grim Reaper. :)

Great art too, and lots to make you think. Also highly therapeutic, if you have to grapple with anything existential.
I love both Gary Larson's and Neil Gaiman's work :)

New Threads

Top Bottom