• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fashion sense

Keith

I've had a few phases of a mild lack of fashion sense.

1) When I was a preteen I refused to wear long-sleeve shirts because I'd seen commercials with kids wearing them and didn't want to look like that.

2) I used to wear a windbreaker in cold weather thinking it was a standard jacket.

3) I used to think sunglasses were only for summer.

4) I've worn sweatshirts in the rain not realizing they're not waterproof.

Last edited:
2-4 seem more like the products of a rigid or confused sense of clothing utility rather than a matter of fashion sense.

The clothes I buy are comfortable. If they look good, that's ok. I'm always in to big of a hurry to get out of the store to care how they look. My wife buys most of my clothes. She has better fashion sense and she likes to shop.

What you describe is not fashion, but utility. I am very fashion sensitive. I have even had other guys come up to me in the mall and ask if things match. Unless you are like me, I would suggest simply reading the labels to help find the clothing that best serves your needs.

I try to dress as casual as possible. I pay very little attention to fashion trends and trying to fit in wearing certain types of clothes. For some reason I just don't feel comfortable wearing the "in thing". The truth is I don't have much going for me self esteem wise, and I don't think that will change, even by putting on the most expensive sort after clothes, so I don't even bother.

I have always thought it was be cool to have a complete wardrobe of the exact same awesome outfit - like in cartoons. So I would instead just go through phases. I was super into fancy suits, and then super casual, but couldn't find the right thing.

Then it happened. After years of analysis, I have the perfect outfit. The pants are completely wrinkle free, lint/dander resistant, and go with all the tops. The tops are all differently styled black and white slimming 30-31' tunics with various paisley and geometric iterations. Although I'm not aiming to be fashionable, it just so happens this style meets fashion criteria while still being appropriately modest. Plus, because of the specialized material, they never wear out, and I can buy them all on eBay for a fraction of the cost without entering a store. Lastly, this particular clothing group is very, very comfortable. Yay!

So, now I am very fashionable, but not on purpose.

I also apparently have no idea what constitutes "formal attire". I've viewed polo shirts, thermal shirts, and nicer shirts---all with no pictures on them----as "formal". I wear them to nicer occasions.

I now have a degree in Fashion so I joke that everyone should come to me for fashion advice :)

However I prefer to dress comfortably, as well as in things that look good. I can't stand certain fabrics or most extra attachments on clothing, funny because I can't explain exactly why I don't like it! At the moment my favourite things to wear in the hot weather are my jersey playsuit (wanted more but annoyingly have been discontinued, nothing on Ebay, etc) with a loose kimono jacket, or loose crop tees and high waisted and loose-ish shorts. I don't like anything too tight or scratchy.

I have heard that some people with AS actually really prefer tight clothing because of how it feels. Hating anything wool or synthetic seems quite common too, as it's scratchy.

I also apparently have no idea what constitutes "formal attire". I've viewed polo shirts, thermal shirts, and nicer shirts---all with no pictures on them----as "formal". I wear them to nicer occasions.

Makes me wonder about the notion of "casual friday" some employers have as well.

I'm going to guess that showing up in a big bird suit on "casual friday" still is not ok, even if that in fact would be my choice of casual garment.

I'm very dumb about it. I've improved somewhat, but I can't figure out how to get things to fit and feel comfortable. I unwittingly even went through a phase where you could always see my bra through my clothes because I was wearing one that no longer fit me... it didn't occur to me that anyone would care. I know.
I prefer things too loose. I sort of look like a bum only I choose very loud or dark items without thinking. I've realized I actually need a "portfolio" of clothing ideas in order to get me in the right mindset before shopping. I'm not updating anytime soon though.

I also have a history of my mom telling me to change my shirt because the one I've chosen clashes with my pants. I guess it's 'cause I just grab the first ones I see, not even checking for wrinkles (which I didn't know how to recognize for years) or holes (which many of my shirts had, bizarrely, on the right shoulder for years; we've since discarded those). I've even put on shorts which show my knees and Mom says I shouldn't wear those.

Also, I don't like the collar touching my throat, so I pull it down as far as it can go.

Fashion Sense. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Some of us might consider the term an oxymoron.

New Threads

Top Bottom