• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First Appointment on the Road to Diagnosis

Shawn D

I have my first appointment tomorrow with someone at an Adult Autism Clinic to start the diagnostic process.
I've already compiled pages of examples of why I think I'm on the spectrum, but still feel unprepared.
I'm incredibly nervous. I just keep playing a scenario through my head where they talk to me for five minutes and say, "You don't have Asperger's. Bye bye now and good luck".
I'll be hard-pressed to sleep tonight. I've only been obsessing about this for weeks! [emoji37]
I would appreciate any advice before I go in there. Tyia!

Hello, good luck! I bet things will go better than you think, things usually do. :hibiscus:

I saw your reply in my thread and I can relate. I replay that same scenario in my head also. I have no advice but I'll be thinking of you and hoping everything goes well!

When I had my diagnosis the lady just asked me a lot of questions and my mother had to be there, they didn't tell me on the day tho I had to wait three weeks for them to come to a conclusion. This is how they do it in the uk. It is so much easier to write things down, less chance of forgetting them. I do it all the time it's easier to read off something or just hand the assessor the piece of paper and then go through it together. Good luck and stressing about it makes no difference so try not to think about it to much

What worked for me was just being relaxed. Do things that relax you prior to the visit. Once you go in there its not in your hands, its all up to the doctor. You only need to listen and go from there.

Last edited:
Hope it goes ok .

I had an initial diagnostic appointment two weeks ago today.

I had quite a strong reaction afterwards, so I'd say be prepared for that possibility and take good care of yourself in the days afterwards.

I'm still awaiting my report.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431563439.269494.jpg

Well, my appointment today was less than useless. I drove two hours for some lady to talk to me for an hour and tell me that nothing about me specifically told her I had autism. What, does she want someone to come in there talking like Rain Man? Like every other shrink I've seen, she was quick to dismiss x, y, & z characteristics and every letter preceding as a multitude of mishmash co-morbid disorders.
She said the current requirements to diagnose an adult mandate that certain behaviors were present from a young age. To do that would require my mom to come in to be interviewed about me. My mom can't remember sh*t about anything that long ago! I've asked her about me before and she admits she can't remember. She was absent, if not physically then emotionally, for much of my childhood.
The only way to know for sure as an adult is to take a extensive and very expensive 3 day test called ADOS. Insurance doesn't cover it, so I guess I'm back to just figuring I have Asperger's, since it's the only thing that makes sense. To use the puzzle analogy, all the pieces fit.
I think since Asperger's was removed as an official and separate diagnosis from Autism, a fact that has me more frustrated than when Pluto was declassified as a planet, "professionals" have become more rigid and expect more severe behavior.
At least my husband has been supportive through all of this. He thinks it's ridiculous how these people are quick to diagnose depression, anxiety and ADHD and dole out pills, but they can't make what he sees as a rather cut-and-dry determination. He lives with me and knows me better than anyone. I guess his support is all that matters.

That's a pity you had such a negative experience. Is there anywhere or anyone else you could contact?

I will be undertaking the ADOS2. I have been told it is only a couple of hours though. Though I think my mum would also be interviewed separately.

We are fortunate in the UK that assessment can be done through our National Health Service, although I believe it can vary from area to area on how easily/quickly you're assessed.

Maybe, as you say, you can be satisfied with your self diagnosis and the support of your partner.

That's a pity you had such a negative experience. Is there anywhere or anyone else you could contact?

I will be undertaking the ADOS2. I have been told it is only a couple of hours though. Though I think my mum would also be interviewed separately.

We are fortunate in the UK that assessment can be done through our National Health Service, although I believe it can vary from area to area on how easily/quickly you're assessed.

Maybe, as you say, you can be satisfied with your self diagnosis and the support of your partner.
Thank you. I've spent countless hours over the past few months researching Asperger's and soul-searching. I'm certain I have Asperger's and so is my husband. I guess the next step is to proceed accordingly and find a professional who specializes in ASD and developing effective coping mechanisms without sacrificing my true self, as I have done over the years.

New Threads

Top Bottom