• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food Food Food

I cause a scene most mealtimes because my parents' chewing makes me so mad I can't stand it. It just grates on my nerves, I bang the table with my hand when I can't bear it anymore, my parents get upset, and they tell me I should 'train myself' to ignore it. I tell them I can't. This sort of thing has been going on since I was little. It's easy to say, "well, just tune it out!" or "be hard on yourself and soft on others and just make an effort!", but it's just like a big wave of almost anger building up inside me. It puts me in such a bad mood and when they stop eating for a second, everything becomes much better! I often stim to take my mind off annoying sounds like that, but it doesn't help that much.

My dad says that when I was little I always wanted my food separated, and I have a memory of when I was three, I was painstakingly separating all the food out on my plate and then sorting it into two 'camps'- to eat or not to eat.

I tend to like foods based on texture, not taste. For example, I only hate liver because of the texture. The taste I can handle. I haven't eaten a packed lunch at school since I was about six, in primary and secondary school I would just throw my sandwich away. I told my parents that I was never hungry at lunch, so instead of a big packup like everyone else had, they'd just give me the bare essentials of a sandwich and apple and I couldn't eat the apple before the sandwich, so I was stuck. I hated those awful sandwiches. Textures again. Soggy or stale bread, margerine, then the hard edge of the cheese. Once or twice my parents found out that I was throwing them away (on the way back from school once I threw it in someone's front garden, and there was a woman and a dog in there who saw the whole thing, and told my mum) and all hell broke out, and I could understand. They thought I had an ED. Which eight year old never eats lunch?

Also lunch at school is bad because I find it hard to eat in front of people. It feels like my jaw physically locks sometimes, but otherwise I take such a while to eat a little thing because I hate having food stuck in my mouth. I see eating as a private thing. Otherwise I don't know why I find it so hard. Last week the teacher gave round mini lollies in class, I took one, I thought I'd be able to manage a tiny lolly, but once it was in, I couldn't get it out. I couldn't get my mouth to open. It was the weirdest thing. For the entire lesson I sat with my mouth clamped shut and escaped first and once into the hallway, suddenly it was fine. That sort of thing happens quite a bit.

I wouldn't say I'm enormously fussy an eater, I'll eat foods I don't particularly like the taste of, but the texture thing is a no go area. I do like bland flavours best though.

i personaly dont like food with bits in like yogurts with bits of orange or cakes with raisins in, the bits just feel alien in my mouth. The strange thing is that i like oranges and raisins just not in stuff. Another thing is apples, i LOVE apples, but as soon as u wack that bad boy in a pie thats it will not eat it(btw this doesnt mean i dont like pie,i love pie)

i am not that picky about the food but i don't like certain foods touching and i have to eat them in certain ways, but i will try almost anything. only wierd thing is i like the taste of onions, but i don't like onions, its very wierd.

New Threads

Top Bottom