• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fourteen Rules Kids Won’t Learn In School

The teen might become less dismissive after a few confirming wipeouts...;)

I'm thinking a bit later into their twenties....when a full-time job is still a relatively new experience. Something they can lose and their parents can't fix it.

When they're the "bug" and not the "windshield".

ITT, a bunch of people do what every generation of adults does: lecture kids expecting them to listen when they didn't listen to their parents doing the same.

ITT, a bunch of people do what every generation of adults does: lecture kids expecting them to listen when they didn't listen to their parents doing the same.

I hear folks say this kind of thing a lot, but I have to add that I am now old enough to have seen some of my kids take this kind of advice and they are building a kind of life in which they are taking responsibility for themselves and also being able to see the negative results from their associates' lives when they don't take this advice.

It feels like if we parents don't give our kids this advice, we're accused of abdicating our responsibilities, but if we do give our kids this advice we're accused of being hypocrites or blowhards.

Not all of my kids took this kind of advice, but they've all been able to see the wisdom in it sooner or later. They don't agree with me on every point, but I've never demanded that they do. As I've always told them, "I am only trying to help you avoid the mistakes I can; you will make your own mistakes, just as I did and just as we all do."

But I can tell you that they are all better people for having heard this kind of advice. Even my most wayward child, who has some serious challenges, has told me that he now understands why I used to tell him these kinds of things. It wasn't out of spite; it was to help spare them all unnecessary suffering.

I like rule 11, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were born same year as me. Change nerds to Aspies we did not know who we were or care.

When I was younger, my family told me I could be like Bill Gates one day. Nowadays that’s funny to me because I looked into him and his business practices. Being on the spectrum doesn’t make him any less of a greedy businessman. Same goes for Elon.

But I’m not gonna go tell my family about it. For one, I’m pretty sure some of them, like my dad, know Bill Gates is a pinhead these days. I also think it would make me a pinhead to go telling my grandparents “hey, that autistic guy you told me I could be just like is actually a bad person”. Expecting them to do research on him before telling me as a kid I could be like him is dumb, and it would be childish for me to expect them to do that

Edit: Just realized I meant to reply to Ronalds post above mine. My bad

I must have been the only teenager who thought smoking made you look moronic. That settles it, I was never actually a teenager. I just went from age 12 to age 20 in one year.

But not really, because I was never really interested or curious about most other "adult" things. My mom *wanted* me to look and act more like a teenage girl. I guess she thought it would make the kids nicer to me if I was. :rolleyes:

When I was younger, my family told me I could be like Bill Gates one day. Nowadays that’s funny to me because I looked into him and his business practices. Being on the spectrum doesn’t make him any less of a greedy businessman. Same goes for Elon.

But I’m not gonna go tell my family about it. For one, I’m pretty sure some of them, like my dad, know Bill Gates is a pinhead these days. I also think it would make me a pinhead to go telling my grandparents “hey, that autistic guy you told me I could be just like is actually a bad person”. Expecting them to do research on him before telling me as a kid I could be like him is dumb, and it would be childish for me to expect them to do that

Edit: Just realized I meant to reply to Ronalds post above mine. My bad
When my kids were on the path to their diagnoses the doc was trying to brighten the mood: "But really, they're both very intelligent and Silicon Valley is full of billionaires with autism"

New Threads

Top Bottom