• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone

Hi Amy, and welcome.
I did care for my mom before she died. Sometimes it was frustrating - like when I'd try to get in the shower and she'd call my cell phone because she needed something. But it was worth it. I remember once she called me into her room and said she had found a pill on the bed beside her and she went ahead and took it and asked if I knew what it was. Ummmm, no. I miss her.

Hi Pats
Thank you for sharing your experience with caring for your Mum. Luckily my Grandparents are not that good with technology to phone so if they want something they just shout "AMY"! They are still fairly independent though, I cook and clean (not that well though!) and do washing and little jobs. Granddad has a breathing condition that means he is deteriorating and is now on oxygen so I may have to have someone else to help at some point. I am sorry for the loss of your Mum it is worth it though to know after all they have done for you in the past you can help them when they most need it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I seem to have sparked a debate about animal slaughter. I will share what I do for those who are interested but really I don't want to get in a big debate or be insulted. I came to this website to meet some like minded aspies.

My cow Cammy is a pet but I do have some lambs that are intended to be for meat for me and my family and sold locally. I also have hens for eggs and work part time on my uncle's dairy farm. We are very interested in animal welfare and the cows are only milked once a day, are out at grass all year round and the calves are reared on nurse cows (one cow has her own calf and adopts 2 others meaning the mothers of the other 2 go into the milking herd). For me if I am going to eat meat (I don't eat much) I would much rather it be from an animal I know has had a great life. Providing meat locally also means they don't have to buy meat from factory farms. There are wonderful wetland grasslands in the area where I live where at the moment there are hundreds of butterflies and wildflowers. It would not be easy to keep these as such a wonderful habitat if we didn't graze them sometimes with the cattle. On my own small piece of ground I grow lots veg, have fruit and woodland as well as livestock and plan on trying to grow oats next year. I believe in small mixed farms planned for the conditions of that area and keeping things local.

New Threads

Top Bottom