• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm New Here.

AspieforGod

Just Keep Swimming
Hi my name is Rivka you can say it riv-kah or rif-kah.
I was invited here from the Christian Forums by Brent.
My special interests are Christian theology, journaling, psychology, languages, children's/young adult fantasy novels and biographies/memoirs of famous writers.
I still live at home with my parents, two cats and a dog.

I am visually impaired so a lot of my 'odd behaviour and mood swings' growing up were attributed to that. It wasn't until 2014 that a family friend suggested Asperger's. My mum and I did lots of research online, reading books by professionals and own voice and talking to other autistics and parents of autistics. We believe I have Asperger's and that it is comorbid with my visual impairment.
We are currently not seeking professional diagnosis for multiple reasons but this could change at any time. We are aware that Asperger's is no longer diagnosed on it's own instead
it's diagnosed as an autism spectrum disorder but for the sake of simplicity and familiarity (and my personal preference) I Identify as an 'aspie' and say I have Asperger's for educating family and friends.

Since becoming aware of my autism I carry a heart burden to help spread awareness and acceptance of Autism and the spectrum it includes. Already coming from a background of stereotypes, stigma, misunderstandings, rejections and erasure in the blind community it hurts to be aware this is also the case when it comes to the general public's view of autism.

I hope I can make friends here and be of a positive use.

Hello!

It's entirely possibility your visual impairment is a sensory problem, not so much an a co-morbid condition. You could be hyposensitive to sight.

Hello!

It's entirely possibility your visual impairment is a sensory problem, not so much an a co-morbid condition. You could be hyposensitive to sight.

Hello :)

Anything is possible. Things got pretty messed up within the first trimester of mum's pregnancy. My visual impairment and legally blind status is due to Peter's Anomaly, Duanes syndrome, nystagmus and inoperable cataracts. I have have mild microcephaly too which didn't help things! So no one can be sure if the abnormalities from that opened the doorway for autism or if autism opened the doorway for my blindness. Either way I live with it as best I can. There is professionally diagnosed anxiety, depression, bi-polar, OCD, and alcohol addiction on both sides of the family which also could have contributed genetically. I guess we're all pretty lucky to be born at all these days with the high abortion rates so I'm just glad to be here and try to carve out a decent existence just like anyone else.

7afa871b0a601283b68b6dce223eef05.png

Isn't that supposed to be a made-up supposedly universal language? How many languages do you speak?

Yes! It's a contructed European language supposed to be really simple so I thought it would be fun. I can read and write French, read a tiny amount of German and I'd like to learn Spanish. I like to read, write and listen to languages but I don't like to speak them I don't like speaking English much but I have too. ,

I can speak, read, and write Spanish. I can read Italian and Portuguese along with of course English. I tried to learn German, and I want to learn Nahuatl. (It tried to learn Nahuatl once. HARD!)

New Threads

Top Bottom