• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you sit

Well the guy in that pic looks like he just "BLYAT" his pants :p

"Well I saw her face,
Now I'm a recliner...."

Mainly due to my spinal arthritis. I need to be bolt upright (so I have a kneeling chair for work) or reclined so my spine is supported. Anything else and agony ensues :eek:

I sit upright with feet crossed at ankles usually, or however the chair in front of the computer makes me sit. I used to sit with my legs pulled up, but hey now I am 61...

woo, people just mentioned chairs and the advertising robots picked this up!!!
How come, they are listening into our conversations...
Where is the diaper add?

upload_2019-5-4_20-42-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-4_20-41-21.png
    upload_2019-5-4_20-41-21.png
    686.5 KB · Views: 0
Right leg tucked under me. Left leg bent/up, so that my heel is on the edge of the chair.

No, I dont know why. I dont ALWAYS do it, but most often when I'm watching something.

Also, public service announcement: Dont type "odd sitting positions" into Bing as a search.

After that mistake, I instead went and looked at dogs sleeping in odd positions to distract me from what I'd just seen. Cant go wrong with dogs, right? I now share one of those with you:

Husky-position-26-e1449877349821.jpg

Of course it's a Husky.

woo, people just mentioned chairs and the advertising robots picked this up!!!
How come, they are listening into our conversations...
Where is the diaper add?

Mention "diapers" and get 80% off plus next-day delivery!

The guy in the picture I posted is doing (I guess) what's called a gangster squat. Good when you're posted up on the streets and you don't want to dirty up your tracksuit/designer jeans/whatever. That, or there's nothing to sit on out there. Don't ask me...

OK...so back on topic and to answer the question, it really depends on what I'm sitting on and what's nearby. I switch so often that I don't maintain a single position for very long.

I think I do all of those positions and others. It really depends on the chair and on how much pain I've got in my body on a given day. It also depends on who I am with. Alone I tend to drape and slouch and slump but in public or a formal situation I sit upright. I think most commonly I sit cross-legged on the sofa and even at the dining table if I can get away with it.

Right leg tucked under me. Left leg bent/up, so that my heel is on the edge of the chair.

No, I dont know why. I dont ALWAYS do it, but most often when I'm watching something.

Also, public service announcement: Dont type "odd sitting positions" into Bing as a search.

After that mistake, I instead went and looked at dogs sleeping in odd positions to distract me from what I'd just seen. Cant go wrong with dogs, right? I now share one of those with you:

View attachment 53966

Of course it's a Husky.
funny and love it!!

I cross leg ar lotus or some other insanily twisted way unless I tell myself not too. I’ve had a lot of OTs and Physios tell me about the importance of sitting properly buy without proper correctional cushion I have never done so.

embeddedIMG_SittingPersonality_850px_1-600x600.jpg

this one would probably work better.

The left or the right in social situations or if I'm watching a movie or TV for some reason, but I now use a kneeling chair for my desk because everything I do in my life is done sitting so I've developed various pains from that and a kneeling chair helps shift some of the pressure to the knees. It's helped a lot!

And I completely agree about reclining! It's so awkward! I've had people insist I recline in something, like the passenger seat of a car, because they really wanted me to be comfortable, so I did it and it's sorta like the feeling when you have to FREEZE for some game or something and you're kinda just there awkwardly waiting, not moving much.

Last edited:
Depends on the chair. I can sit back in a soft padded electric recliner sectional to watch TV.
But, number three is me exactly elsewise. Sit left sided and cross legged.
In the cartoon sitting positions I sit like the girl in the blue jeans, switching which leg is crossed all the time.
When I was young, I liked to sit with my legs under me on a couch, but, now at 62, no can do. Knees are too bad.

Tend to seize up if I sit for too long.
An exception to this is driving.

I think I sit like I'm always ready to rise and get moving again.
- unless I'm busy.
Not just sitting.
Driving, knitting, typing, twiddling with something or other.

For long periods of sitting, I have to recline and have my feet up otherwise my feet go numb. At work I sit very erect and it tend to strain my neck and shoulders a lot. In a car I sit with the seat in the most erect position as possible.

I love reclining. I wish all my chairs in my house could recline :D

But I guess that's because I much prefer to lay down than sit down, and I definitely prefer to lay down than stand up. So I prefer to lay down, always. And be asleep.

For the OP, #1 if I'm sitting with a buddy talking about cars or something. #4 if I'm sitting at home watching TV, or just sitting alone. My mom sits the exact same way.

I sit like this when working in the garage, or working outside in crap conditions. When I don't like my knees on hard concrete, sticks and stones, snow, slush, mud, or water. In the garage I often find myself working on things using my leg for support, including grinding/cutting/drilling rather than take it to a vise. 17 years of working on cars in the dirt, old habits die hard.

I sit like this a lot when working on things on the floor or where it's clean. Even more, the same way but hunched over so I can work on things on the floor surface. Doing a drawing, working on electrical parts, whatever. I work better that way, I feel more connected to my work. I feel awkward and disconnected when using a chair and table. But the older I get, the less I can sit like this for long periods.

At work in my computer chair, I have a cycle, where I sit up straight, then start sliding down into a slouch, then pull myself back up again. All day. And sometimes jump a little and plop back down because I like to feel the cushion in the chair cylinder but I don't weigh enough to activate it. I fidget all day in my chair, I can't sit still.

As I'm morbidly obese I can't sit on my heels for more than at least an hour. The circulation gets cut off and my feet go numb.

If I am sitting at the computer I sit with my legs folded in front of me with my feet resting against the side of the desk. Some people have jokingly asked me if I could type with my toes because they would see that my feet were so close to the keyboard that it looked like I could type with them. For some reason my arms and legs start cramping if I do not have my feet propped up for too long. Now if I am sitting at a table or on a couch I usually sit like the person in the middle picture.

New Threads

Top Bottom