• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to get people to accommodate my auditory processing issues.

Just using "I have trouble hearing" is good enough. NTs don't know that hearing involves more than the ear.
That's something I did frequently all my life.
Putting words on paper makes a neuro connection which helps.
Interesting, that's a memory trick I used when I was young. The act of writing committed things to memory, once written I could just throw the paper away.

That's something I did frequently all my life.

Interesting, that's a memory trick I used when I was young. The act of writing committed things to memory, once written I could just throw the paper away.
I find it interesting that accommodations we figure out for ourselves are later discovered, by scientists, to have a biological explanation.

Same here. I was the only one I knew who employed that study technique. I just copied down a lot of things verbatim. I wonder if there is an autistic connection.

Sounds like (no pun intended) the real issue is that auditory processing just isn’t recognized as a disability, because having the same accommodations already existing for the deaf (transcripts, etc) would solve it.

I recommend the Google Pixel phone and the Recorder app. You don’t have to get a SIM card or even hook it up to WiFi. The Recorder app has an on-device ML model which translates speech to text, and will save it for later. It is probably the only offline tech capable of doing so because it uses Google Pixel’s unique neural network chips.

Now relying on this does mean that you’re still denied the chance to participate in real time, but it is what it is.

Tbh it hasn't crossed my mind before to look at accessibility options on my mobile and wow, that is very useful, there are options of switching on subtitles, including AI-generated when they are missing from an app, live transcription (although it requires internet connection), notifications about important sounds (seems useful, I notoriously miss all kinds of beeping devices), mode in which headphones work like hearing aid, but what I've found the most useful so far is the Adapt Sound feature - you can choose on of the preexisting sound profiles, and you can create your own (what I did) and the mobile does a quick audiogram to determine which frequencies should be louder or quieter. And that has changed a lot and has made phone calls much more usable for me so far. Wow!

Anyway, so many useful options.

FYI, the Google Pixel Recorder has the highest quality live transcription because it works offline. I suspect all the other online solutions compress audio horribly. It's great for group / in-person conversations.

Anything where you have to watch a video, if it has captions (or might have captions) make sure you turn them on! If people are able to provide captions/transcripts/an outline, this can be helpful. Remember, to ask these things of other people takes a lot of time and energy. So, unfortunately, attuning something to something that could help you out a lot may unfortunately not be in their best interest. You need to find ways you can do things yourself to manage the situation.

If lectures aren't recorded, could you pay a friend to record them for you? A recording is better than nothing. If you don't get everything in a lecture, it's more than okay. Even people without auditory issues don't necessarily get everything from a lecture, and many lectures are overloaded with information that usually isn't too helpful imo.

Definitely look for something AI to help you out, because it isn't going away.

New Threads

Top Bottom