• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to have more emotion and appear less formal when talking?

Obviously, I can't speak for you. I have something called alexithymia. In essence, it means I don't know what my emotions are telling me. I also have an inability to connect with, bond with, or have feelings toward another person (except transiently under certain circumstances). Add to that socially non functional, because I cannot recognize body language, facial expression, innuendo or implied comments, or even intonation. Plus words seem to change meaning frequently, depending on context. All of this seems to be related to my autism. It is possible that you may have some of these problems as well, they are not unique, but apparently rare all at once in the same person. Take a good deep look at yourself. One thing I have learned is that smiling at the wrong time or situation is worse than not smiling at all. Likewise, the wrong facial expression can be worse than none at all. It took me a long time to really learn this.

Same here. I would personally not even try to "imitate" NTs.

Same here. I would personally not even try to "imitate" NTs.

All that's necessary is to stay with the rather wide range of "NT-compliant" behaviors.

People notice exceptions.
So to seem NT-compliant you need to avoid being significantly non-compliant in any respect.
I've forgotten the details, but I think it's one of those things that happens faster than conscious thought.

We're hard-wired to identify and react to possibly dangerous differences. Even if society created rules rules to stop this, it would have no effect,

Think about clothing. Except for clothing intended to be annoying or very different. The acceptable range is huge.
But if you move in a way that's unusual enough everyone will notice instantly, and at a considerable distance.

There are a lot of things like that, where you can train yourself to become NT-compliant. Addressing each one is easy because the acceptable range is quite large.
But forget just one, and you're classified instantly as "different, potentially dangerous".

New Threads

Top Bottom