• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am having a manic episode again

This book is neither fiction or a textbook.

It is a first person narrative of a woman with manic depressive disorder.

It took her a long time to figure out how to manage herself.

A major turning point was when she realized that she needed the correct dose
of medication, life long. Not so much that she was numb, and not so little that
she thought she was *immortal/can't fail/don't need to sleep really.....*

This book is neither fiction or a textbook.

It is a first person narrative of a woman with manic depressive disorder.

It took her a long time to figure out how to manage herself.

A major turning point was when she realized that she needed the correct dose
of medication, life long. Not so much that she was numb, and not so little that
she thought she was *immortal/can't fail/don't need to sleep really.....*

That actually makes sense 😃

I have a very bad habit of listening to heavy mental or rock songs and related songs, which keeps me awake and makes me too happy and anxious at the same time.
I do the same stupid thing. I just want to enjoy some loud music a d wind up bouncing off the walls like a squirrel sho had too much caffeine.

My mood has changed rapidly recently, a lot like Borderline Personality Disorder.
I was misdiagnosed a long time ago with ‘rapid cycling bipolar 2 disorder’. I felt like I was switching from high to low sometimes more than once per day. Turns out that my routine was constantly under attack and I was just swinging back and forth from happy to stressed.

I was misdiagnosed a long time ago with ‘rapid cycling bipolar 2 disorder’. I felt like I was switching from high to low sometimes more than once per day. Turns out that my routine was constantly under attack and I was just swinging back and forth from happy to stressed.

What made you so stressed?

What made you so stressed?
This was before I knew I was on the spectrum:

I didn’t know it but for many years I had learned to control my emotions with a meal every 4 hours. It could be a sandwich and a soda, without even stopping working, but I needed to eat a meal at exactly four hours or I would have a panic attack (meltdown). I even sought treatment for diabetes but my blood sugar was perfect. I also needed to be in bed on time and stick to plans made in advance, etc. But I didn’t know I was ASD.

Married, wife, kids, house, dogs, and it became absolutely impossible to keep anything on a schedule. So when my day was going as planned, I was good. But then my job required overtime, or my wife wanted to go to a new restaurant across town. My routine went from normal to being shattered from one minute to the next and I instantly went from ‘normal’ to either depressed or manic.

Those transitions from middle to high or low happened frequently, sometimes multiple times per day. I sought medical help to try and remedy the symptoms with medication and was diagnosed with “rapid-cycling bipolar 2 disorder”. I tried the medication but it just made me into a robot. About a year or two later I discovered I had ASD on my own and absolutely everything fit. This was 15-20 years ago, in my 30’s.

The moral here is that doctors can get it wrong and you really need to be your own advocate. I almost spent 20 years on a medication that was literally stealing my personality and I would have NEVER discovered I had autism. And my son was born a few months after I tried that medication, with Asperger’s also. If I had continued with my diagnosis of bipolar, he would have likely been misdiagnosed as well.

This was before I knew I was on the spectrum:

I didn’t know it but for many years I had learned to control my emotions with a meal every 4 hours. It could be a sandwich and a soda, without even stopping working, but I needed to eat a meal at exactly four hours or I would have a panic attack (meltdown). I even sought treatment for diabetes but my blood sugar was perfect. I also needed to be in bed on time and stick to plans made in advance, etc. But I didn’t know I was ASD.

Married, wife, kids, house, dogs, and it became absolutely impossible to keep anything on a schedule. So when my day was going as planned, I was good. But then my job required overtime, or my wife wanted to go to a new restaurant across town. My routine went from normal to being shattered from one minute to the next and I instantly went from ‘normal’ to either depressed or manic.

Those transitions from middle to high or low happened frequently, sometimes multiple times per day. I sought medical help to try and remedy the symptoms with medication and was diagnosed with “rapid-cycling bipolar 2 disorder”. I tried the medication but it just made me into a robot. About a year or two later I discovered I had ASD on my own and absolutely everything fit. This was 15-20 years ago, in my 30’s.

The moral here is that doctors can get it wrong and you really need to be your own advocate. I almost spent 20 years on a medication that was literally stealing my personality and I would have NEVER discovered I had autism. And my son was born a few months after I tried that medication, with Asperger’s also. If I had continued with my diagnosis of bipolar, he would have likely been misdiagnosed as well.

That makes sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom