• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can only eat ice cream!

How do I fool my brain to release its grip and accept other food when there is nothing else it wants?
I agree with others that you should definitely check in with your doctor and seek some further resources for working with professionals that address eating and nutrition.

It sounds like there may be a significant emotional component here, namely anxiety and shame. I certainly don't deny, disbelieve or downplay your physical experience - but also, I think a certain kind of anxiety related to eating can grow very rapidly and start to control our entire diet. Working with a mental health professional to understand and manage anxiety better could possibly help your eating issues.

I don't think you should feel any shame, but I'm guessing you know as well as anyone that surviving on ice cream for 9 months is not a healthy option for you. So, in your case, this issue deserves your full attention. I don't think having intense phases of eating the same thing is a problem, but it has to be something that meets your basic nutrition requirements.

While you are in this phase of ice cream, perhaps you could get yourself to also drink some sort of nutritional shake or at least speak to your doctor about how to get essential vitamins and minerals.

Check your blood sugar. Sounds scary. Sugar for every meal. You'll wear your pancreas out really fast.

You'd better start eating other foods, whether you like it or not. Unless you want to give yourself shots in the stomach several times a day for the rest of your life.

And end up with a kidney transplant.

I don't mean to sound so grim. But these are facts for people who only would eat sugary foods.

Thank you. I have tried forcing food, I will not eat it, it goes bad or stays in the cupboard and I lose the money. I tried several times over years and always the same. I would go to the grocery store and tell myself to be open mind, try variety. I always lose the money, it has not once worked out.
I know what you mean. I feel pretty bad when my wife buys something for me to try and I have this sinking feeling that I've let her down when it gets tossed out after passing its use by. As I said earlier I think the key is about maintaining established foods rather than going crazy in the supermarket. When you have one of the shifts to another food you need to try and keep that previous food in the rotation. As much as it might bore you, it's not that overstimulation of trying something new, and that's far more tolerable in my book. Might that work?

I know what you mean. I feel pretty bad when my wife buys something for me to try and I have this sinking feeling that I've let her down when it gets tossed out after passing its use by. As I said earlier I think the key is about maintaining established foods rather than going crazy in the supermarket. When you have one of the shifts to another food you need to try and keep that previous food in the rotation. As much as it might bore you, it's not that overstimulation of trying something new, and that's far more tolerable in my book. Might that work?

I do not think this would help me. I have to eat one food, I even look forward to it but then one day it seems gross and I cannot eat a bite of it. I have tried making myself eat something I loved for a long time and suddenly could not stand, it does not work, I just think how gross it is and do not finish it. I do not think there is a technique for me, I have to live this way. It is not the worst problem but it is not fun and is sometimes expensive.

I use Snappy Shopper for getting food shopping brought to me the same day I place the order, but it's a lot of candies, cakes, and sugary foods they sell. But there are some healthy options.

I am actually diagnosed with an eating disorder. I find that my sensory needs can conflict with my gastro issues and can make feel quite unwell. Like I like popcorn the crunchiness of it but my it kills my stomach. There are other things that gives me issues as well. Does anyone else have any gastro issues?

I have to work at it to avoid ice cream.

Thank goodness the best motivator these days is simply the price alone. Now an extremely poor value on a purely retail basis. <Sigh> Living to learn without it. But I'd be a liar if I said I didn't think about it when in the frozen section.

Then again no one said anything about popsicles...especially on those 100+ degree summer days. :cool:

Last edited:
Look into how to make your own ice cream, but make it without sugar. You can make ice cream from avocados. This way, you still get the texture, but try to make it healthier. Focus on making your own vegan ice cream- it still can taste just as delicious, but be healthier.

New Threads

Top Bottom