• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Love This

RemyZee

I love this so much! I was wondering why do you think do so many autistic people have such dramatic reactions to music? Do you like this kind of music?

I love this so much! I was wondering why do you think do so many autistic people have such dramatic reactions to music? Do you like this kind of music?

Not sure if it is true - that we have more dramatic reactions then NTs. I haven't seen any studies on it, etc.

I wouldn't call this music great or bad, just pleasant. What I did find interesting was the instrument/machine if it was real.

Those Wintergatan guys are a folktronica band. Folktronica. :) It's a good band name, "vintergatan" is the Swedish word for "the milky way". They just spell it with a W. It's amazing that they built that thing and it works.

Last edited:
Forest Cat is correct.

Google says this is real:

Wintergatan. In 2011 Molin, Evelina Hägglund, Marcus Sjöberg and David Zandén created the band Wintergatan. The group gained attention when, inspired by a visit to the Speelklok Museum, Molin built his "Marble Machine", a music box made of 3000 components that played using 2000 metal balls.

and a bit more

Instruments played by marbles striking them include a vibraphone, bass guitar, cymbal, and emulated kick drum, high hat and snare drum sounds using contact microphones. The music score is stored on two programmable wheels that utilize Lego Technic beams and stud connectors to trigger armatures to release the marbles.

I don't know if music affects autists more than NTs. I know music affects me strongly. If someone is playing Shubert's Death and the Maiden, I will soon be crying. For those who don't know, this is a string quartet, no lyric, just music.

And there is some music I cannot stand and must cover my ears or leave.

I know music affects me strongly. If someone is playing Shubert's Death and the Maiden, I will soon be crying. For those who don't know, this is a string quartet, no lyric, just music.

Yeah me too. I still to this day can not listen to the piano version of "La Valse d'Amelie" without having a very strong emotional reaction. Same with "Clair de Lune". And a few others. I don't know what's wrong with me. Nothing else does that to me, only music. 🤔

Last edited:
Yeah me too. I still to this day can not listen to the piano version of "La Valse d'Amelie" without having a very strong emotional reaction. Same with "Clair de Lune". And a few others. I don't know what's wrong with me. Nothing else does that to me, only music. 🤔

That is a lovely piano piece. I did not see Amelie. I was irritated with French films at the time it came out. (Not anymore.)

I am partial to solo piano pieces and this is particularly interesting. The way it ends, but does not resolve. Does she die? or have unhappy endings to her love affairs?

Here is info about the composer:

La Valse d'Amélie is one of the most iconic and beloved pieces of music composed by Yann Tiersen in 2001. It has gained an international reputation...

I think music does affect all people, but some more than others, and some are affected more by this style or that style. Music is an international language. You can even see that here from all the shared videos of music performances.

That's about music affecting autistic people, what if you switch it around? Autistic people creating music. I recently became a fan of an Aussie icon Tim Minchin who is a true maestro on the piano as well as being a song writer, actor, singer and playwright.

Best if I don't post any links here though, he is an Aussie and some people find our common use of language perhaps a little too common.

That is a lovely piano piece. I did not see Amelie. I was irritated with French films at the time it came out. (Not anymore.)

Audrey Tautou is outstanding in that movie. 🤩

I am partial to solo piano pieces and this is particularly interesting. The way it ends, but does not resolve. Does she die? or have unhappy endings to her love affairs?

I don't want to spoil anything. :)

That's about music affecting autistic people, what if you switch it around? Autistic people creating music. I recently became a fan of an Aussie icon Tim Minchin who is a true maestro on the piano as well as being a song writer, actor, singer and playwright.

Best if I don't post any links here though, he is an Aussie and some people find our common use of language perhaps a little too common.
I listened to this guy, Tim Minchin, and he is great. He is funny, got an interesting piano style all his own, and well worth looking him up on YT. (His performance is not filled with unprintable words - just sprinkled in for effect. In case anyone is worried.)

(His performance is not filled with unprintable words - just sprinkled in for effect. In case anyone is worried.)
Except for The Pope Song, avoid that one if you're sensitive, I think it made him a persona non grata in a few countries.

And an interesting one is Rock And Roll Nerd where he tells the story of his life growing up in Perth, WA. I found a lot of it very relatable.

I like Tim Minchin, haven't seen anything of him for a while though. I particularly liked that song he has about love, one line I especially recall is, If I hadn't met you, someone else would do. Something like that anyway. It's so practical.

I like Tim Minchin, haven't seen anything of him for a while though. I particularly liked that song he has about love, one line I especially recall is, If I hadn't met you, someone else would do. Something like that anyway. It's so practical.
He sings a few songs like that, "If I didn't have you" and "Inflatable you", yet he married the girl he met when he was 17 and they've been together ever since, raised 2 children, etc.

He sings a few songs like that, "If I didn't have you" and "Inflatable you", yet he married the girl he met when he was 17 and they've been together ever since, raised 2 children, etc.
Yes I think he's just being droll, and trying to deflate the way songs tend to harp on about there's no-one who could match or replace the current person, when in reality many people could be happy with a variety of people, and indeed may have been similarly happy with others, prior to their current relationship. But yes, also he's making that joke whilst seemingly besotted and in a very long term relationship.

I like a lot of different music. I've been to Lollapalooza, attended the Chicago Symphony (Stravinsky's A Soldiers Tale, narrated by John Mahoney (Frazier's father) and Beethoven's Ninth), love Bluegrass, and saw and heard the Geoffrey Ballet perform Nijinsky's choreography of The Rite of Spring (a highlight of my years in Chicago), and finally I'm a fan of the complexities of Sondheim musicals (though loved Hamilton, Six, and Come From Away).

New Threads

Top Bottom