• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I might have Aspergers... but unsure at this point.

Miscellaneous

Hello everyone,

I am a twenty-year-old female that has been previously 'officially' diagnosed with OCD, panic disorder, social anxiety, major depression, and generalized anxiety. I've been in treatment for these illnesses for several months and I've discovered that underneath my social anxiety and with my depression lifting a bit - I still feel like there is something (not necessarily wrong), but different with me. The main striking feature is that I just feel uncomfortable with others. It's more than anxiety, when I'm with other people - whether they be my peers or people older or what have you - I feel as if I'm in an invisible bubble. Even if a person appears to be interested in and likes me, I might as well be sitting alone (and I prefer that nearly all of the time). So, my first reaction was that I might have schizoid personality disorder (after some beginning research). However, while studying schizoid personality online, I came across a note comparing and differentiating schizoid from Asperger's, and it occurred to me that I might fit the criteria.

I'm quite shy and I have some difficulty asserting myself so I don't want to bring it to the attention of my therapist without looking into it a bit more. I thought the best place would be to go to people who have Asperger's because you would recognize the symptoms in me the best.

I have a tendency to go into too much detail so I'm going to make this as concise as possible.

My symptoms that seem to fit the criteria:

General social awkwardness, a level of discomfort with other people that never goes away - even with close(r) family members and peers I have known for many years, craving social contact and relationships but when faced with them in reality I have no interest, general sense of disconnect from other people, not being able to apply emotions to my loved ones (I know that I care for them on some level, I just cant feel it or express it), I have had difficulty meeting people's eyes in the past but I've almost overcome this with years of practice for social anxiety, inappropriate or lack of affect (having no feelings in typically emotional situations or unintentionally smiling or laughing when faced with other's grief), feeling as if all social interaction requires me to put on a 'mask' or 'human suit' so things will go smoothly, all behaviour is forced (but sometimes I am impeccable at reacting), interpreting others facial expressions as menacing and taking it personally, severe lack of coordination (poor balance, poor spacial reasoning, inability to take direction, having trouble following instructions), mild sensory overload problems (sudden loud sounds, repetitive noises causing moderate anxiety, feeling overwhelmed in noisy places, inability to have a conversation with someone if they're whispering or in public), certain textures (cotton balls, chalk) cause anxiety.

Stuff that doesn't fit criteria:

I am able to understand others' social motivation and emotions because people are one of my biggest interests. I like to objectively analyse other people when I'm with them one-on-one and I categorize and recognize manipulative behaviours or phrases. I theoretically have no problem understanding and even giving advice about how to get along with others (the people I know actually always come to me for relationship advice, ironically) but have a hard time applying it to myself. Generally, I am a good judge of character and most people FEEL like they can connect with me no problem (even though it's not really reciprocated deep down). I also do have great objective empathy even though I lack emotional responses, I do feel guilt and sorry for other people and try to incorporate that in my decisions. I do not have narrow obsessions - I engage in compulsive behaviour like pacing and skin-picking but that's related to my OCD.

So, this was much longer than intended (which if I'm being honest with myself, I shouldn't have expected an ability to limit myself, I can be what my mother calls a 'motormouth'.

Any thoughts?

:wacko:

Hi :) I think this is the 1st time I actually said "hi" here :) anyway... You symptoms do look like the ones occure in people on the spectrum but it's not really enough to have a clear picture. I would suggest to talk to your therapyst about it. But maybe ask 1st how much does he/ she know about it. I thought a lot of things about myself as well before I found out about Autism Spectrum Disorders, it seemed to fit better than anything else in my case, so I got diagnosed.
I think if you do have Aspergers, (whether you get diagnozed or not) learning more about it can help you to deal with your issues better. I know it definetely helped me

Last edited:
I would also recommend bringing it up to your therapist; much of what you mentioned sounds like it could be Aspergers-related. My post "Do You Feel Like An Alien?" brings up the "feeling like you're in a bubble" type sensation in social situations.

Thanks for the replies.

My issue is that I'm in a free program that focuses on anxiety disorders. Anxiety disorders are the main speciality of my mental health team and my other problems aren't acknowledged as much. I'm quite anxious about bringing it up specifically... I don't want to bring it up for no reason and I don't want them to feel like I think I know more than them or treat me as if I'm a hypochondriac or a web MD.

Hi-I'm 55,male,and marriage#2 is ending,am self-diagnosed;I know exactly your feeling of wanting social contacts,etc.,but when faced with them I shy away.It was actually a relief to me when girls used to refuse a date,then i wouldn't have to face the smalltalk problem.I can give lectures about astronomy to 100+ strangers,in fact I look forward to that-most people wouldn't!-but if I had to meet 6 or so I'd be nervous.I'd rather always have read/watched a film than go out to a pub,etc.Though I was into church socials,i always felt like an outsider lookong in.I wish you well and take care.

Miscellaneous: It sounds a lot like Asperger's or it could be PDD NOS. I would bring it up anyway and see if they know of anyone that might specalize that you can get in contact with. Same goes for the other stuff you mentioned. I have AS and am a licensed social worker (still without a job in that department grumble...anywhoo). There maybe free programs or add ons that could be made available if you really think that it fits you better. Give it whirl see how it goes talking to your therapist.

Hello everyone,

I am able to understand others' social motivation and emotions because people are one of my biggest interests. I like to objectively analyse other people when I'm with them one-on-one and I categorize and recognize manipulative behaviours or phrases. I theoretically have no problem understanding and even giving advice about how to get along with others (the people I know actually always come to me for relationship advice, ironically) but have a hard time applying it to myself. Generally, I am a good judge of character and most people FEEL like they can connect with me no problem (even though it's not really reciprocated deep down). I also do have great objective empathy even though I lack emotional responses, I do feel guilt and sorry for other people and try to incorporate that in my decisions. I do not have narrow obsessions - I engage in compulsive behaviour like pacing and skin-picking but that's related to my OCD.

So, this was much longer than intended (which if I'm being honest with myself, I shouldn't have expected an ability to limit myself, I can be what my mother calls a 'motormouth'.

Any thoughts?

In all honesty, even this part sounds like Aspergers. :) "theoretically have no problem understanding and even giving advice about how to get along with others but have a hard time applying it to myself." "great objective empathy even though I lack emotional responses" is true of a good number of aspies. Even the OCD could be related to aspergers.

It takes time. I thought I didn't have stims at all so couldn't have A.S. till a few weeks after I caught myself flapping an arm while talking to someone. I mean, I never rock back back and forth but apparently may flap an arm. That amazed me actually as I saw it happen and my fist was clenched.
In the beginning it was important to me that I should have aspergers so as to belong somewhere but nowadays that simply doesn't bother me. What I do know for sure is I'm definitely far removed from normality be it aspergers or not.
Just keep on investigating and I'm sure you will find your answers.

Hello everyone,

I am a twenty-year-old female that has been previously 'officially' diagnosed with OCD, panic disorder, social anxiety, major depression, and generalized anxiety. I've been in treatment for these illnesses for several months and I've discovered that underneath my social anxiety and with my depression lifting a bit - I still feel like there is something (not necessarily wrong), but different with me. The main striking feature is that I just feel uncomfortable with others. It's more than anxiety, when I'm with other people - whether they be my peers or people older or what have you - I feel as if I'm in an invisible bubble. Even if a person appears to be interested in and likes me, I might as well be sitting alone (and I prefer that nearly all of the time). So, my first reaction was that I might have schizoid personality disorder (after some beginning research). However, while studying schizoid personality online, I came across a note comparing and differentiating schizoid from Asperger's, and it occurred to me that I might fit the criteria.

I'm quite shy and I have some difficulty asserting myself so I don't want to bring it to the attention of my therapist without looking into it a bit more. I thought the best place would be to go to people who have Asperger's because you would recognize the symptoms in me the best.

I have a tendency to go into too much detail so I'm going to make this as concise as possible.

General social awkwardness, a level of discomfort with other people that never goes away - even with close(r) family members and peers I have known for many years, craving social contact and relationships but when faced with them in reality I have no interest, general sense of disconnect from other people, not being able to apply emotions to my loved ones (I know that I care for them on some level, I just cant feel it or express it), I have had difficulty meeting people's eyes in the past but I've almost overcome this with years of practice for social anxiety, inappropriate or lack of affect (having no feelings in typically emotional situations or unintentionally smiling or laughing when faced with other's grief), feeling as if all social interaction requires me to put on a 'mask' or 'human suit' so things will go smoothly, all behaviour is forced (but sometimes I am impeccable at reacting), interpreting others facial expressions as menacing and taking it personally, severe lack of coordination (poor balance, poor spacial reasoning, inability to take direction, having trouble following instructions), mild sensory overload problems (sudden loud sounds, repetitive noises causing moderate anxiety, feeling overwhelmed in noisy places, inability to have a conversation with someone if they're whispering or in public), certain textures (cotton balls, chalk) cause anxiety.

Any thoughts?

I was once diagnosed with schizoid but AS fits much better. I too seem to want a friendship but in reality not so much. My NT gf explained it as its so hard to make and maintain a friendship that it's just too much right now. I do think it could be AS, maybe try seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist that has a good understanding of this.

Hello everyone,

Any thoughts?

Hi there

I am not officially diagnosed as aspie, but did an online test, that came out as aspie and a friend who I met on line and then, spent time face to face, said that in her mind, there is no doubt I am, for I reminded her strongly of another who is officially diagnosed!

I am pretty similar to you actually! I can definitely empathize with others but whoa I do lack a certain amount of emotions - which seems a huge contradiction but to explain. If someone was distressed beyond belief and thus, crying, I can find myself struggling to keep tears back but at the same time, I am analyzing the person and it is most strange and also, floundering for I have no idea what to do!

I do not react to touch and the closest I come to feeling emotions when hugged, is by my husband, which chuffs him, but when others hug me, it might as well be a lump of wood! I am also, very aware of myself when interacting with others; it is like I am saying: Suzanne, you must do this and that and behave this way etc

Yep, I almost always read negative connotation directed at me and get very sensitive. I also could not meet eyes and still struggle, but can now, keep a steady gaze.

I get obsessed with the click of the finger and it causes my husband both a great deal of frustration and amusement ie Suzanne is on one of her obsessions and I have to constantly check myself when I am talking because if I feel I have a listener, I will go on and on and on! My poor husband is my constant victim and because he is so polite, he will not say anything and it takes a sudden movement, from him, that I suddenly think: oops I have been going on.

Oh it is soooo emotionally painful, because it is a constant struggle to appear "normal"

Hi-I'm 55,male,and marriage#2 is ending,am self-diagnosed;I know exactly your feeling of wanting social contacts,etc.,but when faced with them I shy away.It was actually a relief to me when girls used to refuse a date,then i wouldn't have to face the smalltalk problem.I can give lectures about astronomy to 100+ strangers,in fact I look forward to that-most people wouldn't!-but if I had to meet 6 or so I'd be nervous.I'd rather always have read/watched a film than go out to a pub,etc.Though I was into church socials,i always felt like an outsider lookong in.I wish you well and take care.

Wow! I am dreadful at smalltalk as well, but fairly recently, I joined a school, where I have to be interactive with another, in a room full of people and I am LOVING it. I love that I can act and told I am brilliant and barely look at my notes and this is talking about biblical topics which I love. But I cannot answer up and if I am asked to read something, I can do it but cannot volunteer.

New Threads

Top Bottom