• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Idol Worship

TikvaBall

I've found in my years of being a believer that many neurotypical preachers misinterpret what idol worship is, and they instead, hopefully inadvertently, preach against autistic special interests. They say that if you talk about a topic other than God a lot and can't shut up about it, that means you're worshiping whatever that thing is. The thing is, though, that that's not actually idolatry, that's just the special interest.

I believe it's in Exodus 13 when the Bible describes idol worship for the first time, and it was the golden calf. If you actually read that Scripture, though, it wasn't like a special interest at all. They weren't just talking about that calf and info dumping facts about it. They were trying to say that that fictional character was the one who rescued them from Egypt, and they were trying to get that fictional character to rescue them now. That's idolatry, not a special interest.

I've found in my years of being a believer that many neurotypical preachers misinterpret what idol worship is, and they instead, hopefully inadvertently, preach against autistic special interests. They say that if you talk about a topic other than God a lot and can't shut up about it, that means you're worshiping whatever that thing is. The thing is, though, that that's not actually idolatry, that's just the special interest.

I believe it's in Exodus 13 when the Bible describes idol worship for the first time, and it was the golden calf. If you actually read that Scripture, though, it wasn't like a special interest at all. They weren't just talking about that calf and info dumping facts about it. They were trying to say that that fictional character was the one who rescued them from Egypt, and they were trying to get that fictional character to rescue them now. That's idolatry, not a special interest.

I noticed that issue too. Idols are a specific thing, literal representations of gods, but not something you see so frequently today. When the Old Testament was written they were common household objects. But there may be passages in the bible that make the connection to obsessing over material objects. I can only remember one off the top of my head which is something like 'where the mind is the heart is'. I'd have to dive in to that subject deeply to get a clearer picture.

But at the minimum there would be a distinction I think. Like not watching where you are going as compared to being blind. One is not paying attention and the other the result of a disability. Or in our case an alteration to how the brain works.

Interesting thread topic. I have heard pasters preach that false idols include anything in the world that you put above God. So this could be material possessions or objects or it could be something else like watching tv or sex. As for a special interest, I have often wondered if it is an idol and this thought has made me uncomfortable. I generally would rather pursue special interest than go to church. My special interests provide both therapy and enjoyment.

I have often times felt guilty about the amount of time and energy I put into the interests. Feelings of selfishness at times. I think some of these feelings come from the special interests cause me to stand out from other people and is just another way I sometimes feel like I am out of place in this world and can cause isolation. So I think some of the anxiety I get from pursuing my special interests relates to how I have been treated in my past by others just because I excel at something.

Maybe I need to re evaluate my thinking because I have felt like my self interests could be a false idol based on what the pasters have preached. But maybe this line of thinking is incorrect. I'm not sure.

I'd hate to continue to let medieval book to tell me my autism needs are wrong. It can destroy people's lives. I'm happier with my own morality sense, no calf jealousy.

This religion came after many others, it practically disabled them because it preached they were sinful, it was wrong to have multiple deities, but it's no better than them, it's in fact more arrogant and competitive.

The interpretations of the book differ from pastor to pastor, and from household to household. You have to love and accept yourself and others to survive.

Last edited:
I've always understood that idols are physical things, like a golden calf. But this thread prompts the thought that slavish devotion to sports, politicians, and the making of money by any means might well rise to the level of "idolatry".

I will return with some collected thoughts. The title of your thread may be a bit alarming to some people. I thought it was about proper idol worshipping and my faith is quite clear on that. You could have may be added autistic special idol worship? The subject matter in itself idol worship I find a bit daunting. Well, I'm glad it is not what I thought it might be.

Last edited:
Interesting thread

I’m sorry I am not an autistic expert and I feel really as it is a neurodevoplemtal condition that starts in childhood this goes beyond my knowledge of depth to try and fully answer this question. Have you ever read the initial Kanner and Asperger reports?

I know of children who are not raised wordly who have strong interests that give them comfort that adults support. You wouldn't even want to pass any judgement.

In my experience more church’s are more becoming more understanding of autism

I will say though that special interests can be used to serve God. We know our intentions and so does God. Special interests can also be redirected as we walk through life.

From a biblical standpoint though what I have been strongly drawn to for a long time is Psalm 193, God the creator weaved us for his purpose which sometimes does not come to light until later life. God knows all our ways

“You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

We can also directed by God’s Holy laws the Ten Commandments and Jesus guide to love others as our selves and to love God above all in our actions.

If god made any of us autistic, it's kind of hard to imagine he'd also punish us for our harmless inclinations. I mean, plenty of people with ASD hyperfocus, specialize and really end up helping people. All of this contributes to a better society and elevates all of us. You can certainly do all of that and worship whoever you want; they're different things entirely.

But alas, there will always be people demonizing autism. Mostly because they don't understand it

Hi,

@FilterFreq In Islam we have a phrase: "Servitudes and Treatments".

I have, have read one Sharia book with this phrase on its cover.

- Servitudes of Allah is worship.
- Treatments of Humans like business and marriage - human things.

I listened to something like this on the religion channel recently. About people putting wordly things before God like idol worshipping. Speaking more personally you can still put God first/ love of God as an autistic and have your interests as well. For me in my life as an autistic I put my faith first in my life, it is really how you live your life as well.

But how can you even put faith first, you go to church every time before every stim you make? You pray every time before you start stimming? It won't be long before it starts to take control of your life.
Or do you just act like God is superior to your needs of stimming? Very weak God that one to be so desperate for every second of attention and be unable to not care for a second. Very demanding.

". . . all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God . . ." -- Romans 3:23 (NIV)

The Bible does not list autism as a mitigating factor for sin.

New Threads

Top Bottom