• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm new here and I thought maybe this could be a cure for me.

packaged theory

As a person who has been officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, I feel like I have lived a life of 80 years even though I am still very young. I have never fit in with society, I have always been indifferent to the things they can't get enough of doing. I am 18 years old but I have always been different from my peers. I have been labeled as extremely lazy all my life and I have never been sure if it is really laziness or something else in the background that looks like laziness. I never liked school, thank God I'm finishing school this year. I'm someone who has anxiety about the future, I see and know that I don't have what my peers, even younger ones, have and can do. That scares me. I have always seen myself as one in a million, with a very rare neurological disorder or difference. I am not sure if the diagnosis of Asperger's is enough to explain my characteristics. There is a code that needs to be cracked and I would be very grateful if you, my dear friends, could help me with this.

Hi @packaged theory

Welcome to the forum. I think cracking that sort of code can take a long time, so try to be patient and learn from your experiences as you go. I think if you stick around here and read different threads and pose questions to the people here, you will be well on your way to understanding yourself so much better.

Hi @packaged theory

Glad you have found this place. There is a lot of info and experience here.
Do hang around a while and get to know us. In the process you will see how autism manifests differently for different people. Some experiences will make sense to you and some not - and that it totally OK. We are all different, and we are still learning about ourselves and the world in which we live.

1715433498621.png

Welcome, @packaged theory

I've always had a strong distain for High School, though I had personal life reasons that played into that too. Interacting with people you barely know and then returning home to a world full of neglect and abuse. Not fun times.

It can be isolating to be in a world built for NTs by NTs. (NT = Neurotypical)

But seeking those that get it, will help minimize that loneliness. I've found that out for myself. And I've said this before. Socail interaction is a two way street. For us on the spectrum. Trying to interact and connect with NTs. It's a road riddled with potholes and rockslides. So many things can go wrong, because of how we present ourselves to NTs. And we have issues understanding NTs, because of all the intricate unspoken rules, and tricks, to conversation that NTs can utilize innately, without a second thought.

I think that to NTs, our problems are not immediately apparent and we don't 'look disabled'. Which creates a odd disconnect that allows NTs to think we are just 'lazy', 'not trying hard enough', 'just a delinquent that doesn't care about what other people have to say', etc. This is especially true of us NDs (neurodiverse) who have high funtioning autism/aspergers. We 'seem' normal enough in how we handle things. When a issue comes up that is ASD related, I believe it confuses the heck out of NTs. And they default to things like "You were doing just fine. What makes this other situation different?".

Anyway. You are definitely not alone. We all have our own ways of handling it. And we all have different things about us. But we all have socail problems in common. We all deal with executive funtiong issues. And we all suffer from NT misunderstanding.

I'm sure you feel like you are a alien on a foreign planet. It's okay. We NDs all do feel that way. It's a tough feeling to grapple with. But we all still have alot we can do with our lives.

Last edited:
@packaged theory hello, s'mae (that's 'hi' in Welsh!), come on in. We're happy that you've found us and you want to understand yourself as well as others, this attitude is really positive. Maintain your curiosity and open-mindedness, and you will surely find the answers and relief you seek.

Your post rhetoric does give me pause for how you used the word 'cure', though. Please know that your ASD isn't a death sentence or a terminal illness, though it is lifelong. It doesn't mean you need to be 'cured'. It's a valid part of who you are, a part that deserves love and care and respect, and so long as you learn actively to work with and not against it, you can find ways to adapt to this NT world we're in and make your own unique way. It's kind of like being a mutant X-Man in a world of humans.

As a person who has been officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, I feel like I have lived a life of 80 years even though I am still very young. I have never fit in with society, I have always been indifferent to the things they can't get enough of doing. I am 18 years old but I have always been different from my peers. I have been labeled as extremely lazy all my life and I have never been sure if it is really laziness or something else in the background that looks like laziness. I never liked school, thank God I'm finishing school this year. I'm someone who has anxiety about the future, I see and know that I don't have what my peers, even younger ones, have and can do. That scares me. I have always seen myself as one in a million, with a very rare neurological disorder or difference. I am not sure if the diagnosis of Asperger's is enough to explain my characteristics. There is a code that needs to be cracked and I would be very grateful if you, my dear friends, could help me with this.
First of all, welcome. :)

1. You're amongst friends here. So, please feel free to share your thoughts.
2. You're 18, and I know you're probably sick and tired of people telling you that you're still a kid and things will be different when you're older. However, despite that, I am pushing 60 and I am still learning about myself, my cognitive biases are changing, and I am always learning. That said, looking back, even to my 40's, and especially my 20's, all I could say was that I knew what I knew back then and a lot has changed. I didn't know what I didn't know.
3. Understand that the great majority of your difficulties in life will be in the form of some sort of sensory, psychological, and psychiatric issues. However, also understand that all of this is because autism is a prenatal, genetic, medical condition with associated anatomical, physiological, and immunological characteristics. The sensory, psychological and psychological components are secondary and tertiary. Knowing what I do know, in my opinion, autism should be diagnosed via a geneticist and neurologist (the primary causes), not a psychologist or psychiatrist (signs and symptoms).
4. The "self-pity parties" that some of us tend to give ourselves is often driven by depression. Autism is one of the known low dopamine neurological conditions. There are at least 3 different genetic mutations within the autism population that have to do with dopamine turnover in the brain. Your feelings are very real, but do understand this is mostly due to brain chemistry. Many people experience similar situations and never have PTSD, trauma, or dive into depressive moods with crappy outlooks on life,...this is us, not them. Most people are not that sensitive and things just roll with whatever happens, therefore are not going to participate in empathetic interactions with you, because they can't relate.
5. We all have special interests and talents. Some not that marketable within the workplace, and other times, highly valued. Most of us are not well-suited for the typical classroom situation as students, however, we can be excellent lecturers standing up in front of a crowd of people. I have been continually studying on my own, and you can do that now with the internet, it's just that sometimes what you learn is not rewarded with a professional degree, even though you might have doctorate-level knowledge on a specific topic. I am a university instructor (part-time) and work at a large children's hospital (full-time), but much of what I do aligns with my special interests. I am really good at what I do. At any rate, there are plenty of well-paying jobs out there in the trades and most of these are fully or partially paid through government programs and even the companies, themselves. I highly recommend that for those that hate the classroom experience.

Well, I can go on and on here.

Take care.;)

Last edited:
I never really noticed how different I was until well into my fifties, was enough of a loner, never really cared what others saw. Still don't. Now that I'm retired, my only real interest is how does the universe work, not much else.

Hey welcome. Bad news is there is no cure, the good news is? There is understanding and acceptance of oneself, and you found this terrific forum which has helped with my self-acceptance and improved my emotional stability and allowed me to more supportive to my few close friends and partner.

Cracking the code. Some simple tips learned along the way:
1. The autistic brain often has a significant negative bias. There are anxieties and worries, even outright fear. Large amygdala's, common to autistic brains. Add in the depression and there is a tendency to always think the worst in others, ourselves, and what might happen if... These are strong feelings, but if you can step back and separate the logic from the emotions, it can be helpful.
2. The human brain has a strong instinctual need for being within a group as there is safety and security in that, conformity, predictability, order, kinship, friendships, even procreation. Then, there are the autistics who will always be out on the periphery, they might not be comfortable within groups, a lack of friendships and interpersonal bonding, not to mention the sometimes completely different perspective and way of thinking we have. Altered signaling from the hypothalamus to the posterior pituitary causing significantly lower circulating levels of oxytocin and vasopressin, "the love hormones". It is a blessing and a curse, quite literally. Accept who you are. You can still be that mentor, educator, resource person, leader, etc. and I would definitely encourage that sort of behavior. What you may also struggle with is "reciprocity", as many of us do. The only thing I would encourage is selfless and random acts of kindness. Help when not asked. Take initiative and responsibility. Do all of that and never expect recognition. If you receive it, and you will, be grateful for it. If not, so what.
3. Do not allow your feelings dictate your actions. Self control. Courage. Responsibility.

Hi and welcome. Good points here from @Neonatal RRT ! Although I want to opine that neurotypicality can be seen as a medical condition too. But the people in the majority are deemed the Normal ones. I guess I have more of a social rather than medical model in mind myself, mostly.

That's a ton of good advice from @Neonatal RRT, and it's great that you are here, and disputing that label of laziness. What does it even mean? I expect there are things you are or will be super interested in. I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful to compare notes with others here.

I was always told I was lazy at school :( I never understood it because I always tried so hard. I muddled through constantly feeling like I would never succeed academically. When I look back, I think that if I hadn't been told so many negative things, I probably wouldn't have exhausted myself trying to make up for a deficit that wasn't really there. Ironically, I'd probably have achieved higher grades.

It was always painfully obvious that I didn't think the same way as most other people. I'd notice things they didn't. With hindsight I was probably understanding things in ways that other people couldn't understand.

It wasn't until I went to university that I got into my stride. School doesn't reward creative or unconventional thinking. It turns out that these are precisely the skills needed in higher education. So even though you might be glad you are leaving school soon, don't rule out the possibility of studying something you will really love one day! :-)

As soon as I was able to focus on things that captured my interest and without others standing in my way I learned to do lots of things that are very useful. I could process things in my own way, at my own pace, in an environment that didn't have people butting in and saying cruel things because I had an idea or tried something unconventional.

You will soon be free of the small world that is school/highschool and this could be the start of something fantastic and fulfilling. The world is your oyster! Steve Jobs dropped out of school and he followed his heart and his mind and founded one of the most successful companies in history! :-)

It's very unlikely that you are lazy! You just haven't found your niche yet. And here's the good news... You have the rest of your life to find it! And you've barely begun right now. :-)

Welcome! @packaged theory:

Work with a doctor or psychologist if you can. With ASD, it's common to have co-occurring conditions (anxiety, ADHD, depression, any of the personality disorders...). And we all are unique.

ASD is not a personality. We all have different personalities and life stories. Your "laziness" could be something else that you need to figure out, and it's easy to figure things out trusting and talking to another person. There are many medications that can help too.

Ask questions here. This site helped me make sense of my own diagnosis.

Welcome, young padawan!
There is a code that needs to be cracked and I would be very grateful if you, my dear friends, could help me with this.
To quote Douglas Adams, "The secret is to bang the rocks together"

It would have been helpful to know why I was weird when I was your age. I just figured I was, and moved on. Had no idea what Asperger's was. It hadn't been "discovered" in the US back then.
I did find friends which, in hindsight I suspect were also on the spectrum.

Now I'm a retired old geezer, so maybe you should just ignore everything I say. Oh, and get off my lawn!😉

Welcome-Animation-DG123290.gif

I was diagnosed age 56 and wish I had known sooner.
The diagnosis, along with finding the forum, really helped me make sense of my life and all the things that made me feel the alien syndrome too.
Better late than never though.

There is some good advice and information on this thread already.
And I found my life was so much better after high school also.
In fact, I home schooled high school.
Things started getting interesting at University.
I was interested in the medical arts and became a pharmacist.
Also did some instructing and modeling. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom