• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is being underemployed or struggling to get into a career that pays enough to support oneself, common for people on the autism spectrum?

Many people cannot do what you did, Ronald. Some people absolutely need supplemental income due to their disability. They aren't compelled to apply for SSDI or to publicly admit they have a disability, but doing so can greatly improve the quality of their lives.
This is very true for me. Growing up in Australia is a bit different though, our welfare isn't dependent on how much money we've previously paid in to a fund or anything like that. Growing up knowing that I had that safety net to fall back on when I needed allowed me to push myself further than I would have otherwise.

I burnt out several times in my life and ended up on the dole for a while, but that gave me the respite I needed to recover and I could get back out there again. I was quite successful for a lengthy period of time but I didn't understand anything about burn out. Icarus theorem - I flew too close to the sun and the wax melted.

I was quite successful for a lengthy period of time but I didn't understand anything about burn out. Icarus theorem - I flew too close to the sun and the wax melted.
Well stated. I think that's essentially what happened to me as well. When I chose to become self-employed not being able to find any work during the Great Recession. At that point I was certainly burned out over the prospects of working for another party.

Last edited:
My transverse myelitis could have given me a physical disability standing for long periods since 11 years old I have always persevered. I have always had a strong will to do things myself even living on a farm did what had to be done
When in hospital with stroke refused use of wheel chair from first day walker was my all I would use Wife and I spent hours walking up and down corridors Having been second time in life where I had to walk again I knew I could do it again. Either way To do my job I had to stand in front of a fume hood for hours backaches as my bent legs forced me to bend forward slightly. Any excuse to leave the lab, making ink kept me out of the lab no issues with heavy pails of pigments. Lasted twenty one years No way was I going to accept a limit on the quality of my life by others imposing limits on my life I already had to deal with no promotions Took lots of night school Trying to overcome this this limit imposed on me by managers do to my lack of social skills . All I can say determination is my best friend. Even now walking is painful does not deter my from doing it as not doing it would be to restrictive on living my life the way I want too.

Labels and limits tend to be counter productive, I was lucky in never having been labelled, allowing others to determine my limits Either way I pushed my limits and am currently still doing so, makes life worth living.

I was able to get respectable jobs because my family helped me get the college education I needed. From there, I was able to get work experience to be employable at least. There are programs that are aimed at hiring people on spectrum, but many are geared for college bound or people who have college bound degrees. You could be considered for a job through these kind of outlets without a degree if you can show you're somewhat of a coding genius, but otherwise the market can be tough.

There are resources where people will try to get you a job if you aren't college bound, but those are different than the programs I've seen. So, try to look for anything like that that can help you get your foot in the door.

OP, Your salary is livable even without your family. Depending on where you live, you might have to take in roommates and understand how to manage property/a home and your taxes. Pay for an accountant or go to H&R Block or similar if you aren't sure how to do your taxes if you don't have your family to help you out or know how to do it on your own. OP, if you are flexible in where you live and in moving to save, this can help a lot for survival and opportunity as well.

If you wish to try to get into the corporate field more, you can try to look for jobs that are secretary type jobs if you think you're good with people and answering the phone. Since it's more of a desk job, it might give you more room to study a little on the side. Maybe. .. But maybe you could be tired out from the day's work. It's a tough balance.
yeah its just i live in California, which is known for being expensive to live, "look for jobs that are secretary type jobs if you think you're good with people and answering the phone.", yeah, can you get a job like that without a college education?

yeah its just i live in California, which is known for being expensive to live, "look for jobs that are secretary type jobs if you think you're good with people and answering the phone.", yeah, can you get a job like that without a college education?
Can you be an executive assistant without a degree?
Yes, it is possible to get a secretary job without anything besides a high school education. It depends on the company. California might be a harder market unless you can move to a rural area where it might be harder for people to get people they want to employ and people who want to work that job.

i do have a psychologist, i speak with him a few times a year, i was diagnosed with autism by him, the next time i speak with him, i know i'm going to ask him if i am eligible for any time of SSI assistance

New Threads

Top Bottom